Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xmas lights and IP Profile ?  (Read 12079 times)

Captain Pugwash

Xmas lights and IP Profile ?
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »

Hi guys, Im a very happy IDNet user who lives 640 metres in a straight line from my exchange and ive enjoyed an IP Profile , as shown by BT speedtester, of 7000k ever since i connected up with my D Link dsl504-t wired router and BT speedtester throughput speeds have been circa 6400 kpbs .

My wife hooked up Xmas tree lights , the master phone socket and plugs to the xmas tree lights are about 3 feet apart.

My line has never been dropped, and i checked that my router which was not reset or touched in anyway,  had held a downstream at a steady 8000k for in excess of 1000 hours.

My figures now read , after a reboot of the router at 9.00 am, downstream figure at 7742k and the BT speedtest shows my IP Profile has dropped from 7000k to 6500k.

Id really like my line back to the way it was and a 7000k profile once more, could those xmas lights be the culprit ? Should I do a further reboot after my wife takes them down and wait the 3 days and see if there is the increased profile I know my line has been operating at before xmas ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Capt.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:59:48 AM by Captain Pugwash »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Xmas lights and IP Profile ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

Welcome aboard, Cap'n!

Your profile should return to normal by itself when the lights are gone. A reboot may speed the process.

I was wondering the other day, as I passed one of those houses lit up like Las Vegas, what that does to their neighbours' broadband.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »

I was wondering the other day, as I passed one of those houses lit up like Las Vegas, what that does to their neighbours' broadband.

With my neighbours BT BB, running three laptops and one desktop off of a Netgear wireless router, the amount of lights and rope-lights (mini Blackpool illuminations) had absolutely no effect on her BB.

Which is a lot more than I can say about her electric bill.  :crazy:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »

Why, what does her electric bill do to her BB connection? :D
  Eric

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »

Cuts it off if she doesn't pay? :P

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

Welcome aboard, Cap'n!

Your profile should return to normal by itself when the lights are gone. A reboot may speed the process.

can xmas lights really have this effect on ip profile ? is it a common thing ?
when the lights are taken down, is it better to do the reboot in the am hours ?

Capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

It's any form of electrical interference, but if you think of all the wiring in a string of lights as an aerial, and particularly if the lights have a flashing circuit or device you have a wonderful noise generator.

Professor Roseway's favourite example of an electrical noise generator is an exercise treadmill!

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »

It's any form of electrical interference, but if you think of all the wiring in a string of lights as an aerial, and particularly if the lights have a flashing circuit or device you have a wonderful noise generator.

Professor Roseway's favourite example of an electrical noise generator is an exercise treadmill!

thanks astral, but is the morning the best time to do a reboot or does it really matter ?

capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »

>but is the morning the best time to do a reboot or does it really matter<

Simplest thing to do is to switch off overnight and think of the leccy you save!

The main thing to remember is not to keep switching your router on and off. It will be interpreted as a fault and then your profile will really take a hit. It happened to me once when there were three short power cuts in quick succession.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »

Yes. It has nothing really to do with "IP Profile" which is a BT thing (I'm on a LLU service), but any sort of electrical equipment is capable of radiating noise via RF or (more commonly) inducing noise into the mains wiring which then radiates harmonics of the noise for various reasons which you'd probably rather not know :) That will have the effect of reducing sync speed.

I'm unsure quite what the logic of the IP Profile is. By that I mean (for example) how many times in a 24 hour period the line can drop without the profile being reduced.

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »

Simplest thing to do is to switch off overnight and think of the leccy you save!

are you saying switch off the computer AND the router ?

capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »

I was referring to the router because I working on the basis of a "normal" lifestyle, where you are awake in the day and sleep at night and you would switch the computer off, unless it is a server, in which case it's not going to do much serving without a router. It's the router that "talks" to the exchange, not the computer.

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:04:50 PM »

I was referring to the router because I working on the basis of a "normal" lifestyle, where you are awake in the day and sleep at night and you would switch the computer off, unless it is a server, in which case it's not going to do much serving without a router. It's the router that "talks" to the exchange, not the computer.

would switching the router off overnight not lead to the network to think there is a fault and lower the profile further, or will it be ok to do this without that happening ?

capt

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »

The main thing to remember is not to keep switching your router on and off. It will be interpreted as a fault and then your profile will really take a hit. It happened to me once when there were three short power cuts in quick succession.

See my previous answer above.

Captain Pugwash

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »

are there official figures as in, BT will interpret (x) amount of switchoffs within a period of (x) as a fault and lower profile accordingly ?

capt

Pages: [1] 2 3

anything