Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Music port.  (Read 17369 times)

Re: Music port.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

Having had a quick google about I can't find anything seriously wrong with that Pinnacle unit Mike. Assuming you have a router with wireless capability then I think  it ticks all the right boxes for streaming internet radio (without the PC being on) and should also work for your MP3 collection - although that is probably better served by just plugging in a USB drive. It would take £60 away from your budget for the hi-fi but that shouldn't be a problem.

Mr Chris : its a corporate attitude with Sony. They DO treat the European market as morons on everything. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Sony litigating to "protect" their market - they do it with anything that is in the "grey channel" and every UK retailer has been on the receiving end. For example ask Tesco what happened when they couldn't get PS2 boxes through the normal channels due to "shortages" but could get as many units as they wanted through the grey channel for 20% less! I wouldn't buy a Sony product if it was the only thing on the planet which did what I want. Really.

Edit - grey channel = not Sony approved distributors for the area, although they are approved for other areas. In short it's a fix to keep prices artificially high.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:51:32 PM by rizla »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »

Re sony - that's fair enough, and of course you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not particularly much of a Sony fan either! What I was trying to point out is that the DRM / root kit stuff didn't apply to hi-fi systems - i.e. you aren't in any danger of privacy violations / concerns if you happen to buy a Sony hi-fi system.
Chris

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »

A normal hi-fi yes. One that you wish to play MP3's (via USB) or stream to from wherever - well if its a Sony then who knows? Sony BMG are now the ONLY music company still pushing DRM. Everyone else (yes even Warner) has now binned DRM.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »

> Everyone else (yes even Warner) has now binned DRM

And not before time. And yes, fair point on any sony hi-fi that allows a USB / wireless connection to anything else, I was referring to a plain, bog-standard, common or garden hi-fi unit, with all analogue connection sockets ;)
Chris

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »

Oh you and I both know the score Chris ;) but sometimes we assume too much knowledge on the part of others. Well I do anyway - it is one of my biggest failings :(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »

I've just bought a new Philps micro hifi unit and it clearly states on the box 'Digital Rights Management not supported'. 

Woohoo!
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 04:15:43 PM »

cool... a step in the right direction!
Chris

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »

* rizla watches all the manufacturers jumping off the DRM bandwagon :D

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »

Maybe I mised this if it was mentioned before, but just get the right leads for line out from sound card on PC to music port in to new device .... isn't that the simplest option ?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »

No, you didn't miss it before! Although I was trying to ascertain exactly what a 'music port' was... turns out it's just a stereo mini (3.5mm) jack plug! Why can't they just say that lol??!

Tickmike... any update - what have you decided on in the end?
Chris

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »

Sorry about making a new post ( I will spend some time in the naughty corner  :(  ).

I thought it may help anyone who 'googles' for that make of  hi-fi to have a new post title .  ;)

Chris Yes it was only a 3.5 mm plug and not some fancy type of plug.

Stevie Thanks for pointing out my other post.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:48:23 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything