Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Music port.  (Read 17174 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Music port.
« on: December 27, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »

Seasons greeting (If it's not too late  ;D).

Just looking for a new Hi Fi, Like this one http://panasonic.co.uk/mini/sc-ak750eb-k/index.htm
It says "6600W Power Output"  great heat the house with that. ;)

What I wanted to ask is what is a 'music port' is it a special plug/socket or is it just a pono socket.
I see it's got USB port as well .
I want to connect to a computer for streaming and downloaded music play back, do you think I could connect via the above ports ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Re: Music port.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »

Looks like its just a line-in socket - you basically connect the MP3 player to the unit instead of headphones.

It doesn't have any streaming capability.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »

I want to connect the audio output from my pc to the Hi-Fi and listen to music off say, BBC Iplayer or music files stored on the computer.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »

I want to connect the audio output from my pc to the Hi-Fi and listen to music off say, BBC Iplayer or music files stored on the computer.

If thats all you want to do, then why not just buy some decent Speakers?

You`ll get far better sound for the money, I`d take the 6600Watts with a whole tub of salt..lol.

Something like these perhaps?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/94478

Or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133295

Or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/101640/show_product_reviews

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »

I assume the 6600W was a typo as the specs say 660W. It's "only" 110W rms per channel anyway so I reckon someone at Panasonic is stretching the truth somewhat ;)

Edit - and they are. It is 220W subwoofer and then they count the bass cone and tweeter twice : 220W + (110 x 4) = 660W @ 10% THD :lol:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:21:55 PM by rizla »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »

Ok I did not say it's to replace a hi-fi in our kitchen that's died (it was one that someone was going to put in the bin about 15 years ago and I said I will look at it first before I binned it, I put a new fuse in and we had 15 years of good use out of it  :) )
I do want to play CD's, Tapes, Radio Etc. as well.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 06:22:31 PM »

OK.

So you wish to have a system that`ll play CDs,tapes & have a radio..in the kitchen, but also wish to link in the PC to stream/playback in the Kitchen too...Hopefully I`ve got that correct?

How far away is the PC from the Kitchen?

Any other details?

Budget? £160?

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »

This little gadget might do you?

It won`t stream from the PC, but you could load up a few DVds with Music or a USB HDD & plug it in.

Its got TV, Freeview, DVD player, plays DivX, Xvid, MP3s, has a built in 7" LCD screen so you can watch movies etc....Humm, maybe I need one...LOL.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134616

A review of the unit.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2007/11/30/Elonex-LNX-Cube-Multimedia-System/p1

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 09:59:50 PM »

OK.

So you wish to have a system that`ll play CDs,tapes & have a radio..in the kitchen, but also wish to link in the PC to stream/playback in the Kitchen too...Hopefully I`ve got that correct?

How far away is the PC from the Kitchen?

Any other details?

Budget? £160?

Yes that's correct, the computer I will connect it to is about 1Metre away, Other details It must have a sub-woofer  :) and headphone socket for my 'wire free headphones' (They are great).
Budget up to £250 ish

Seen this Sony looks good.   

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=MHC-RG595&productsku=MHCRG595.CEK&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=HFS+CD+Music+System#tab

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »

If the computer is a metre away then there is no requirement for "streaming" - unless you want internet radio. Just buy a USB hard drive and copy your MP3s to that.

I personally wouldn't touch anything that says Sony on it and purports to do anything related to copyrighted material as you're entering into a world of DRM, root kits (yes still), overpricing, litigation and general "screw the consumer, we know best".

Sony = scum for the European market. In fact Sony really are just scum and nobody who has followed their shenanigans should support them by buying products - end of story IMHO.

Do you have any sort of wireless network at home? If so then streaming audio becomes much easier to implement.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:54:58 AM »

You might find this of interest :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?menuno=13133&MenuName=Network%20Audio%20Entertainment&FromMenu=y&worldid=-3&doy=29m12

I haven't looked at the specs but I'd be surprised if none of them have a line-out socket which you could connect to a "normal" hi-fi. In fact this might be the very thing :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=222632&doy=29m12

It is Pinnacle though and some of their products have a poor reputation so were I you I'd do some googling on that model to see if there are any "gotchas". It doesn't seem to get on that well with DRM'd files but who does? :lol:

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 08:25:21 AM »

hi mike

i might have missed the point here but if the pc is only a metre away .... why dont you just buy a good set of speakers and use the pc for all the above??

Paul

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »

hi mike

i might have missed the point here but if the pc is only a metre away .... why dont you just buy a good set of speakers and use the pc for all the above??

My wife will not want to boot up a computer every time she wants to listen to the radio or play a tape / CD.
It's mainly me who wants to listen to say, Radio 1 /2 Etc. playbacks via BBC iplayer .

Re rizla  they look interesting links, thanks.

Well I found the answer to my question (first post ) I just phoned a Panasonic dealer up and he says a 'Music port' is for plugging in a Mp3 player / ipod or computer and the USB is for mainly charging Mp3 etc and sometimes feeding audio through.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »

Quote from: rizla
you're entering into a world of DRM, root kits (yes still)

Let's be clear about this - only on their computer-related products... I agree, I wouldn't put a Sony CD into my computer, but none of the DRM / rootkit stuff can possibly apply to their hifi systems! Having said that, the last Sony CD/radio/tape system I heard wasn't that impressive sound-wise.

Guys... I don't think anyone's really read tickmike's requirements properly :P

The crucial thing is that he said he wants to play tapes and radio as well as CDs and the PC audio, so just a set of speakers for the PC is a no-go!

So the easiest thing to implement this is one of those all-in-one hi-fi units that he was looking at initially. The only requirement is that it must have an auxiliary / line input so he can plug the computer's line output into it.

My advice, mike... is to go round somewhere like comet/currys or a.n.other local audio shop where these units are stocked and have a listen to see which ones you like best. Make sure there is an Aux / line input (it looks like the "music port" on the Panasonic one means a stereo 3.5mm mini-jack, like the audio sockets on your PC). Make a note of the model number and then try and find it cheaper online ;)

I can't suggest anything that's good or bad, because sound is a personal preference. I have a Philips hi-fi system that I've had for a number of years (it was an expensive one at the time) and I love the sound of it. Other Philips systems sound different. So I'd say instead of asking on here, you'd be best going out and having a listen to some yourself.
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

Hi chris.
Re, "My advice, mike... is to go round somewhere like comet/currys"
I think that's what we will do tomorrow have a drive to our nearest city, living out in the sticks sometimes has disadvantages.
Pages: [1] 2

anything