Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk and FTTC speeds?  (Read 4484 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
TalkTalk and FTTC speeds?
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »

Just wondering if anyone knows why TT have such paltry upload speed caps, apparently it is 2mbps on the 40mbps package and 4mbps on the 80mbps one!

Stuart

Edit: Someone on the TT forums tells me the large fibre has a 20mbps d/l but I have yet to find the speeds quoted anywhere on their website.

Edit2: Now found a place on their site which quotes 2mbps on the 40mpbs package and 20mbps on the 80mbps one. Still dont understand why the 40 package has such a low download speed, suppose they think if you want faster uploads you will pay the extra. I'd rather look to see if there is a better deal elsewhere!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:47:18 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk and FTTC speeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »

There is one more package on offer .............. 40DS and 10US. After that, it's the 80/20 package.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »

There is one more package on offer .............. 40DS and 10US. After that, it's the 80/20 package.

I gather that TT have opted to only resell the 40/2 and 80/20 products from BT, apparently they have chosen not to do the 40/10 version which if true in my view is a bad decision. 40/10 would be OK from my point of view, but going 80/20 when my downstream estimate is only marginally above 40 (in reality the actual could be less than 40) is not worth the extra money to get the 20 down.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

They are obviously capping it at their end, and like you say hoping people will pay more if they want more upload.
Does seem rather paltry upload...  I have more than that on adsl2+
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

TT appear to cap the upstream on ADSL2+ as well. My connection has capacity for higher upstream speed, as the SNRM hovers around 9 dB, but the upstream connection speed is always 1020 kbps. Others have said the same.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »

They are obviously capping it at their end, and like you say hoping people will pay more if they want more upload.
Does seem rather paltry upload...  I have more than that on adsl2+

Your lucky the max on TT ADSL2+ is 1020kbps... As blacksheep says BT offer 3 packages 40/2 40/10 and 80/20 and TT in their wisdom have only taken the first and last options, leaving you to pay for 80 down even if you cannot get more than 40 just because you want more than 2 up!

Stuart

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »

This is still the case... as I've been looking at my package as my current deal is ending. Swap fttc for the tv element at the same price may be on the cards ;)

p.s. I know I've not been around here much for a while, but I've been giving up fags and concentrating on e-cigs.... it'll be a year next week ;D
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »

Nope they dont seem to offer the standard 40/10 at all, like you say leaving anyone who wants more upstream no option but to get & pay for the 80/20.
I bet theres plenty of lines that could cope with 40/10, but not get much more downstream if they had to upgrade to 80/20 :(

Congrats on giving up the cigs :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

speedyrite

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »

On a note of (possible) historic interest:

Back in April 2012, Sky Fibre initially launched as a "40/2" product. A few weeks later, it was then upgraded to be a "40/10" product. I think this all happened because BT Retail revamped the Infinity product line (around the same time as, if not actually the day before, Sky Fibre launched) to introduce "40/10" and "80/20" products.

anything