Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interleaving - BToR DLM  (Read 21750 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Interleaving - BToR DLM
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

Admin note:-   This thread has been split from jid's original thread so that the issues of BToR's DLM can continue without distraction from the main topic.

This may give the answer: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-about-the-reality-of-dlm-on-openreach-fttc.html

The Openreach Fibre to the Cabinet products use a DLM system that has three main modes, the only control a retail provider has is to pick which of these three profiles your new FTTC connection will run on, or swap you between the various modes.

Standard – best overall balance between speed and stability for general internet users.
Stable – prioritise stability over speed for IPTV videoconferencing, home workers and businesses transferring data and IPTV.
Speed – prioritise speed over stability for online gamers.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:34:17 AM by kitz »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Re: Interleaving
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

This may give the answer
To what Jamie?  It's not actually known whether or not these three so-called 'profiles' are made available to ISPs, but if they were, then what you assume may be right - but it wouldn't explain why your bit loadings change as much as they appear to do.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »

It's not actually known whether or not these three so-called 'profiles' are made available to ISPs, but if they were, then what you assume may be right

They definitely are. These are the only controls the ISP has over the BToR DLM.

ISP's usually have a default setting for when the line is provisioned on fttc, but this can be changed at a later date if they wish at EUs request.
Take Zen fo eg who by default provision on the speed profile, they will happily change your profile to Standard or Stable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »

They definitely are. These are the only controls the ISP has over the BToR DLM.
Then I stand corrected Kitz.  :-[

Were you asked by PN then which profile you would prefer when you signed up for FTTC, because I wasn't?  If not, then on what basis do they select among them, and how are these mapped down onto the 192 line profiles available to a Huawei DSLAM?  That would be interesting to learn.  :-\

[Edit] Thinking back, I far as I had been previously aware the 'source' reference to these 3 'profiles' was originally in the DLM patents filed by BT, which, as others have observed, originally applied to ADSL.  However, there are still strong similarities to those patents in today's VDSL DLM.  In addition I seem to recall that these 3 profiles are still echoed somewhere in the GEA SIN (see the reference provided by Ryan below), but I hadn't previously been aware that these were being actively selected by ISPs on BTOR FTTC.  Perhaps all I need to do then to get rid of my 1233 DS Interleaving depth is just to ask PN for them to put me on the 'Speed' profile (i.e.fastpath)?

If I recall those patents correctly, the 3 different profiles were used to describe a) different (potential) levels of errors and or forced resync rates when DLM was monitoring the line and b) subsequently more or less aggresive (than standard) action on the part of DLM when deciding whether to take or relent from action on the line.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:33:16 AM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »

>>  Were you asked by PN then which profile you would prefer when you signed up

Nope..  I suspect that like Zen they also opt for the default speed profile.   They should be able to get it changed easily enough if you want one of the others for say stability.  The option is there.  Its up to the ISP to choose what default they want.  Azzaka could probably provide more info.  Not all ISPs will admit its actually there ;)

Yes you are correct that they do practically follow the same guidelines talked about years ago for adsl.   
In a weird way its a more simplistic version of the BE DLM..  but then they make it more complicated &  interweave added parameters on top of this base profile so that things like interleaving will still kick in - even on the speed profile. 

I can perhaps understand why the ISPs dont make it obvious to the EU.  If the option is there, most people wouldnt have a clue about such things & would likely select speed anyhow. 

---
Edited to add because I forgot to answer:-

Perhaps all I need to do then to get rid of my 1233 DS Interleaving depth is just to ask PN for them to put me on the 'Speed' profile (i.e.fastpath)?

They should certainly be able to check which profile you are on.   Moving to speed does not turn off interleaving.   That cant be turned off permanently and the ISP has no control over it once the BToR DLM decides you need it. :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:06:48 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »

Nope..  I suspect that like Zen they also opt for the default speed profile.   They should be able to get it changed easily enough if you want one of the others for say stability.  The option is there.  Its up to the ISP to choose what default they want.
Well, for the moment, I hope you'll forgive me if just for now I remain unconvinced about this - not that I don't believe what you are telling me.  I would genuinely like to see the stats of anyone who has been on one of these profiles on VDSL and what it changed to when or if they ever got moved to another.  Is there anyone out there with that information or experience of doing that?

[Edit] I know which profile I'm on, but it is one of the 192, not one of 3!

and with that last thought he drifts off to :sleep: :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:09:34 AM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:17:08 AM »

just a reminder in case you didnt notice... I added something to the above post about your request.

I hope you'll forgive me if just for now I remain unconvinced about this - not that I don't believe what you are telling me.

nps..   ill find a link for you....   (sorry took a bit longer than I thought to find it)

https://forum.zen.co.uk/forums/permalink/43293/43339/ShowThread.aspx#43339
-----

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »

The DLM profiles are Stable, Speed and Standard. [1]

The 192 profiles are a line profile which are separate from the DLM profile I believe? I know BT set the DLM to "Standard" by default (at least that's what I was told).

[1] http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibretothecabinet/fttc/downloads/GEA_FTTC_4.pdf

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Interleaving - BToR DLM
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

Thanks to all for widening the debate on this.  I am almost certainly completely wrong about this, but, personally, I haven't seen any actual evidence that provides a convincing narrative (of how these 3 profiles are used) on VDSL, other than in how DLM might monitor and subsequently react to line conditions.

Yes, I have seen this repeated many times on the net (and always in the same way), but I have yet to see anything that confirms that it actually works 'that way'.  I have seen exactly what Ryan quotes, many times, but never with any evidence of how it subsequently influences VDSL DLM.  The Zen document, IMO, is merely repeating what the BT GEA SIN itself says, and AFAICS, that is still echoing the original statements in the BT DLM patents (for ADSL).  Obviously though, I can see analogies with the 3 'profiles' that were available to EUs as former BE ADSL users.

So, I have no problems with understanding in principle that an approach like that could have been adopted for VDSL too. It's just that so far I can see no evidence of how that works in practice.

I can also understand what you are suggesting Kitz when you say
In a weird way its a more simplistic version of the BE DLM..  but then they make it more complicated &  interweave added parameters on top of this base profile so that things like interleaving will still kick in - even on the speed profile
I suppose it's that interaction that I do not, as yet, follow.

I also agree with you, but for a different reason I suspect, when you say
interleaving ... cant be turned off permanently and the ISP has no control over it once the BToR DLM decides you need it

So, being >:D advocate here, what exactly do we think that such a 'speed' profile might cause DLM to do, if it's not to avoid the additional delay of using the RS+Interleaving error recovery technique? After all, in all the places that refer to it, it is said (even by Zen) that it is to
prioritise speed over stability for online gamers

And conversely, imagine for the moment I'm on a Speed profile (and a perfect line), and I request that my ISP moves me to a Stability profile instead. Would that switch Interleaving on?  I would suggest that it probably would.  So, ISP's could then, in effect, have Interleaving switched on (if indirectly), but then lose control of it, because they then cannot switch it off again by restoring the EU to the original Speed profile on which (s)he was on just moments before?

Perhaps I am missing something fundamental here, but that all seems irrational to me.  But it wouldn't be the first time that I had missed something obvious ....

As a counter-example, we all know from what BS has confirmed, that everyone is initially put on a so-called 'open profile' (e.g. of 80/20, fastpath) on activation, and that (unless things are really bad) DLM does not intervene to change that until at least 24hrs later.  How does the fact that we are all activated in this same state sit with the ISP selection of one these 3 profiles, where according to common belief, Zen selects the Speed profile, while BTR selects the Standard profile?

Finally, PN have told me previously that my profile is '40M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off', which, as I have suggested, is one of the 192 line profiles used by the Huawei DSLAM.  No mention anywhere of Stable/Standard/Speed, nor any inkling of how these 'DLM profiles' are translated by DLM to the applicable line profile.

Anyway, that's just the basis of my (hopefully healthy) scepticism about this. ???  As I have already said, I just don't understand how it is supposed to work as yet. :no:

What would be really interesting would be if anyone can actually request a change between any two of these 'profiles', and the differences can be recorded.  We have the tools available to see that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:34:31 AM by ColinS »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »

@ Colin,

Just to add a little verisimilitude to

initially put on a so-called 'open profile' (e.g. of 80/20, fastpath) on activation

even on a quite atrocious line.

I observed a VDSL installation by a subcontractor in the late afternoon of day 1 with a downstream sync of 39.99 Mbps and an upstream IP profile of 2 Mbps.

That remained throughout day 2 up until at least 21:20 but before 08:09 on day 3 it had settled down to a nice steady sync 4.38 Mbps down and still an IP profile of 2.00 Mbps up.

YES that IS 4 decimal 38 down !

It has remained around that performance ever since.

Unsurprisingly it is still on my list for some attention in due course.

Kind regards,
Walter

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »

Thank you for that Walter. :)

Forgive me though if I'm not completely following the important point I'm sure you are making. :-\ I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. :(

In your example, I assume that the product was 40/2? So in that case an open profile would be 40/2, fastpath. Which is what it seems to have achieved on activation in the late afternoon of day 1? If DLM doesn't interfere for (at least) the first 24hrs, experience tells us that thereafter it generally intervenes (by changing profile) in the early hours of the morning (say ~5am +/-).  Which would seem to fit your timescale of between 21:20 day 2 - 08:09 day 3, by which time it had sadly taken exception, it seems, to whatever it observed during that short period. :(

Have I got that right, and am I right in guessing that your point is that even 'bad' lines (that perhaps might have merited activation in a 'stable' profile) are still activated in an open one? :-\

(Sorry though if I've misunderstood :))

but Good luck with the fix anyway!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:43:43 PM by ColinS »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

Colin ok the 3 DLM profiles are seperate to the DSLAM profiles.

DLM is not run on a DSLAM, it just controls DSLAMS.

As you said regardless of DLM profile everyone starts off the same way, the reason is these profiles dont affect how you start, they just affect how much instability is required for you to move to a lower profile.

So eg. on speed it might require 1000 CRC errors a minute, standard might be 600 a minute and stable might be 300 a minute.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »

Wanted to comment on this yesterday - not had chance so very rushed post coming up, including part of a PM

This is also the sort of thing that if we do manage to get some information together is put something either on the main site or wiki where it can more easily be indexed.  ie  What the DLM says it should do..  and what the general observations are in reality.

I linked to the Zen thread, because Zen are one of the ISPs who are happy to submit a change of profile..  Ive actually seen them say it elsewhere too, and they will check and state which BToR DLM you are supposed to be on rather than give the 192 line profiles.

It would be interesting to know if a line goes through the speed -> standard --> stable process as part of the 192 line conditions.. and if once you are on standard then it wont automatically go back down to the 'speed' range.

Kind of like how in the early days of the Maxdsl DLM.  All lines would start as interleaved off, but once it was triggered then it was hard to get it turned back off even when the ISP would set the line to off.

What Ryan/Chrysalis says put some of the pieces in place...  and perhaps much of the confusion has come about because we tend to use the term 'DLM' when there is obviously the base DLM profile and also a Line profile.
In the same way that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that its almost like Be's DLM, but then theyve woven more parameters on top.

Everyone starts off on open to give a line chance to see if it needs intervention or not or even how much ...  and if theres a problem then DLM kicks in 
What those parameters are depends upon the basic DLM profile what the ISP can select...  and then we end up with the line profile.

What isnt clear is what effect an ISP selecting a lower DLM profile would actually have on the resultant line profile.  It may not remove interleaving but would it say reduce the depth.

Can anyone provide the link to the 192 profiles please.. I cant seem to find it atm.
It would be interesting if BToR have just selected some of them.   Because if its the same profiles that Tiscali used to use on their Huawei MSANs then I believe they may have done...  because from what Ive seen they dont seem to use SNRm for stability - instead opting for interleaving, leaving SNRm at 6dB.

If Zen was selecting speed then I would at least expect some lines to show a 3dB SNRm? So it would appear that they have disregarded any SNRm options, which is a pity as Im sure there are some gamers who would happily sacrifice some speed in exchange for better latency if their line was a bit wobbly.

What would be interesting is if someone could go through the DLM change by the ISP and then see what effect it had on the line profile.

------
PS Has anyone seen any target SNRms on FTTC other than 6dB? 
If so can they recall where.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:01:27 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »

Can anyone provide the link to the 192 profiles please.. I cant seem to find it atm.
It would be interesting if BToR have just selected some of them.

As far as I can recall, it was Asbokid who mentioned that a Huawei MA5616 MSAN has the potential for usage of up to 192 profiles and that Openreach only use a small selection of them.  :-\  We shall just have to patiently wait for A's return from his summer sojourn.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:43 PM »

I concur with B*Cat. :) A discussion started here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12535.0.html, which includes a short list provided by PN that B*Cat republished.  Then at some point, as a consequence, Asbo did (I'm sure he did :-\) send me a list in a private communication.  But can I find it now? :no:  Anyway, I'll keep looking, but when Bald_Eagle returns, I might ask him, as I seem to remember sending him a copy at some point (or is my memory just running away with me :-X).

It's always handy to know someone with their own DSLAM to ask! ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3