Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Origin Broadband Update on Digital Region Connections  (Read 3626 times)

Origin_Pete

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
Origin Broadband Update on Digital Region Connections
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »

I'm pleased to let our customers know that Origin are now able to regrade/upgrade any customer's connection and/or migrate customers from other Digital Region suppliers seamlessly to our service if required.

The benefit here is that certain customers have tried to upgrade from our 24/10 OR 40/10 to a Max or other package since August and were unable to do so.

If you would rather have your existing DRL connection with Origin than the supplier you're currently with, we can bring you across and later migrate you to our new network as part of our plan for our own existing customers.

Please call our team between 8.30 - 8.30 on 0800 206 2333 if you would like more information on migrating your connection from another DRL supplier to Origin - or regrading your existing Origin Broadband connection to a faster speed.

There will be more updates from us very soon in relation to our plans following Digital Region's announcement that they intend to close their network.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Origin Broadband Update on Digital Region Connections
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »

Still shrouded with uncertainty imo.

All of us who have no alternative fibre connection are still left wondering what's going to happen.There's not much point in regrading/upgrading for just a few months.At present my 24/10 connection suffices my own needs.
What we are waiting for is what you will be setting your prices at for just an ADSL connection.I am quite happy to remain with Origin but that would come down to price/length of contract.
If I'm only going to get less than 2mb on ADSL I shall be looking to add 4G to my phone/or any other device I might get and just use my desk top for basic browsing(not much else you can do with a sub 2mb download speed.)

Origin_Pete

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »

The pricing will be very keen. I can't announce exact numbers yet, but you are looking at a cost <£10 for unlimited ADSL2+ with Origin in our new network areas.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »

The pricing will be very keen. I can't announce exact numbers yet, but you are looking at a cost <£10 for unlimited ADSL2+ with Origin in our new network areas.

Thanks Pete,

As I have already mentioned I am happy to stay with Origin if the figures add up.Its always nice to support a local company if possible. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »

Well according to Origins new pricing they are offering free ADSL IF you take their line rental(£15.99 a month) and their anytime call package (£6.49 a month) making a grand total of £22.48 a month.

Hi all,

As promised, I am posting an update about Origin Broadband's plans moving forward following the closure of the Digital Region network.

Firstly, I would like to reiterate that we as a company have not suffered as a result of the closure of DRL. In fact, things have never been better. We're recruiting more and more employees every few weeks and securing great deals with local businesses that benefit both us and our new customers. We are still giving great pure fibre speeds to new business customers that previously had to depend on regular old broadband. These businesses couldn't be happier!

But that's not what concerns most residential customers... what they care about is the quality of Origin's service, the quality of their individual connection and the price they pay for that connection.

So it's a bittersweet announcement from us on that point. Firstly, there will inevitably be some customers currently enjoying Origin's fibre service that will be forced to move to a slower alternative such as ADSL. While these customers are in the minority, it is still a significant number and we will be doing everything we can to make this transition as pain free as we can.

This is a factor way beyond our control as a company and all I can say to those customers is that we did EVERYTHING we could do ensure continuity of their FTTC service. We will be using any clout we have as a BT partner moving forward to push for better services in affected areas.

Onto our new offer... I can now confirm that Origin will be offering line rental at £15.99 and an Anytime call plan for £6.49. On their own, these are not particularly special offers, but when you take both together, you will be eligibile for FREE UNLIMITED ADSL from Origin. This offer will begin in Barnsley very soon, and is planned to roll out across 36 South Yorkshire exchanges by the August 14th deadline. We intend to move beyond South Yorkshire as soon as we can once the dust has settled on this rollout.

So line rental, calls and unlimited broadband from Origin will cost just £22.48 in selected areas! a free 'full provide' order will be available where needed, saving customers £110.00 on the installation of a new line.

This may be an standard deal for one of the the big 6 companies, but we believe our offer of a good local service really makes us stand out with new customers across the area. We have massive respect for Plusnet, for example, and we really want to follow the path that they took (prior to becoming part of the BT Group).

Origin was created by Oliver and Henry to focus on unlimited fibre broadband. This is a product very close to our hearts, and for this reason, we will continue to offer unlimited 40/02, 40/10, and 80/20 products to as many customers as possible. Pricing on these will range from £19.99 to £29.99 accordingly.

As we've announced previously, a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your individual migration plan. If you have any questions, please give us a call or e-mail info@origin-broadband.co.uk

Finally, here is the advert trialling in Barnsley this week. FREE YORKSHIRE BROADBAND

So can you still take standalone ADSL and if so what will the actual cost be.?

Edit....In reply to my question,Origin have just confirmed via Facebook that standalone ADSL broadband is available at a cost of £9.99 a month.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:27:49 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »

Well according to Origins new pricing they are offering free ADSL IF you take their line rental(£15.99 a month) and their anytime call package (£6.49 a month) making a grand total of £22.48 a month.

Seems like a pretty competitive price for the package if you compare to BT.   
Just a shame your dsl speeds due to distance wont be that great.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:56 PM »

Seems like a pretty competitive price for the package if you compare to BT.   
Just a shame your dsl speeds due to distance wont be that great.

I guess it is if you are one of those people that use your landline a lot.I personally hardly ever use our landline due to the sufficient  number of minutes included in my mobile phone plan.
I don't want to move my line rental from BT so the ADSL standalone monthly fee will do me even though it will be a sub 2mb connection.The only other standalone ADSL package I know of is Plusnet which irrc is £8.49 a month witha 10GB usage limit.
My only other consideration would be to use a 4G mobile connection on a decent size screen tablet but this could be a costly option.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:27 AM »

UncleUB

Have you ever thought about a stand alone 4G router?  Not exactly a cheap solution, but at around £100 you get a good router with a selection of LAN ports and WIFI etc.  In an area of good mobile network I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 2mb+ (although I may be completely wrong!)

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has done this and whether it's a viable proposition for those who require a 'semi-permanent' internet connection in an area of dismal ADSL coverage.

z1ts