Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Talktalk Fibre upload speed  (Read 17112 times)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
Talktalk Fibre upload speed
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »

Hi, can anyone confirm that since 'essentials' ended (oct 2013 I think) that the upload speed for NEW fibre connections at 40Mb downstream is now 10Mb upstream as opposed to the original 2Mb ??

Reason for asking is that I'm out of contract and thinking of ringing retentions to try and get at least my upload speed lifted if this is indeed the case.  I have toyed with the idea of switching ISP completely so if anyone has suggestions to make regarding a service comparable/better than the one I've got now.  Call costs aren't really an issue, the landline is really just there for the broadband as we all have mobiles with masses of free minutes.  Currently with TT we get 40Mbps down, 2 Mbps up  :no: and all in for the package its £32.90 per month  :'(

I don't currently know if this is reasonable, extortionate or quite cheap.  I do know the 2Mbps upstream lets it down.  Can't find anything on their site regarding upstream speeds but this page on moneysupermarket indicates an upstream of ~10Mbps and it's a fiver cheaper than I'm paying now !!!

Your thoughts appreciated.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Talktalk Fibre upload speed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »

Its still 40/2 unless you go for Fibre Large which is 'upto' 80/20

I had a hell of a time trying to find that info out about a month or so ago and it was hidden somewhere really obscure that was really hard to find.   So hard to find in fact that now it seems to have disappeared completely.   :no:

So out of curiosity I put my phone no in their checker and it tells me
up to 38Mb/1.9Mb Med.  up to 57Mb/15Mb Large.

I was very surprised at such a low estimate which is waaay less than even the BTw checker says (Im currently getting the full 80/20)  :o

(see attachment)

>> but this page on moneysupermarket indicates an upstream of ~10Mbps and it's a fiver cheaper than I'm paying now

I havent looked, but be warned that such sites usually include a new customer bonus that only last for 'x' number of months, after which time it reverts to a higher price.  They also often calculate using the much cheaper pay up front for a year rate  which can save you anything up to a fiver.

---

[edited to remove figures which were likely wrong]

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:35:05 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:58 PM »

Never heard of 'Essentials' or privy to ISP 'Packages'. But there are, and always have been, 3 FTTC packages that OR offer ISP to re-sell.  :) :)

1) 40/2
2) 40/10
3) 80/20

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »

iirc Essentials was what TT used to call their basic no frills package which you bolted extras on to - now its marketed as "Simply"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »

I would recommend Plusnet,  £19.99 for the 80/20 unlimited broadband, plus line rental, which I think is £10.49 a month with  line rental saver,  paying 12 months in one go.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »

Selfish plug here:

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-optic-broadband/fibre-and-phone-packages.aspx#unlimitedfibre1

The only real reason for posting the above link is not because I work for Zen, but because we changed our packages recently and they are now more cost friendly than they have been in the past. The above link is for the 10mb upload, however if you remove the 1 and add 2, you get the full 20mb upload prices.

All the best.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »

Its still 40/2 unless you go for Fibre Large which is 'upto' 80/20

I had a hell of a time trying to find that info out about a month or so ago and it was hidden somewhere really obscure that was really hard to find.   So hard to find in fact that now it seems to have disappeared completely.   :no:

So out of curiosity I put my phone no in their checker and it tells me
up to 38Mb/1.9Mb Med.  up to 57Mb/15Mb Large.

I was very surprised at such a low estimate which is waaay less than even the BTw checker says (Im currently getting the full 80/20)  :o

>> but this page on moneysupermarket indicates an upstream of ~10Mbps and it's a fiver cheaper than I'm paying now

I havent looked, but be warned that such sites usually include a new customer bonus that only last for 'x' number of months, after which time it reverts to a higher price.  They also often calculate using the much cheaper pay up front for a year rate  which can save you anything up to a fiver.

Thanks for looking, I couldn't find that info anywhere either.  The price quoted was the same as the price TT quote on their page, without using the discount 'saver' you get by paying 12 months in one lump.

Clearly can't use retentions to lever a deal there, however, if I put in my number, the checker tells me I can upgrade to fibre large for £5 per month.  I know my line won't support the full 80/20 so I can't justify that £60 per year, but if I can get retentions to waive that, then I'd go for it.

I would recommend Plusnet,  £19.99 for the 80/20 unlimited broadband, plus line rental, which I think is £10.49 a month with  line rental saver,  paying 12 months in one go.

Had seriously looked at Plusnet just before Christmas.  The only downside is the fact my line is unbundled  ::)

Selfish plug here:

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-optic-broadband/fibre-and-phone-packages.aspx#unlimitedfibre1

The only real reason for posting the above link is not because I work for Zen, but because we changed our packages recently and they are now more cost friendly than they have been in the past. The above link is for the 10mb upload, however if you remove the 1 and add 2, you get the full 20mb upload prices.

All the best.
Cheers for that, I'll check it out  :)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

anything