Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats crashes at the turn of the month  (Read 4661 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
DSLstats crashes at the turn of the month
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:37:17 AM »

Those of you who use traffic monitoring will probably have hit this already. Unfortunately there's no option but to shut down DSLstats, delete or rename dslstats.ini, traffic.ini and es.data, then set up DSLstats from scratch again.

I do apologise for this. If you keep the files listed above and simply rename them, it should be possible to edit them manually to restore the data. I'll be looking at this ASAP, and of course I'll sort out the problem well before the time when it's next going to show up.

Later edit: it's nothing to do with traffic monitoring
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:57:48 PM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats crashes at the turn of the month
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »

Does not exactly crash for me, looks like it is running but difficult to know what if anything was going on.

I have saved my old files so will be able to edit stuff I guess later.

Stuart
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:49:39 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »

For me, it works again after changing these values inside the [errors] section in dslstats.ini

Last month=9
Last day=1

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »

Thanks for that. On its own it doesn't correct for the fact that the traffic monitoring data is one month out after the event. But it may be that the problem is related to the error functions and not, as I believed, traffic monitoring.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »

Well looking at my saved dslstats.ini this section says last month 8 last day 30 last hour 16 which indicates to me that it probably cannot cope with 31 day months. I had wondered what happened to my traffic for the 31st which looked strange.

Anyway for now I'm going to wait for Eric's view on how to import the old data once he fixes the code.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

I think that's a red herring, Stuart. dslstats.ini is only saved on exit and when you start or resume recording. So if DSLstats was recording continuously since the 30th, then that would be the latest date shown in the inifile.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

Having had a little time to think about this, I don't think it's going to be practical (or worthwhile) to restore the historical traffic monitoring data. If you have a saved copy of traffic.ini you can read the data in it quite easily:

The 'Day' values (1-31) refer to the days in the month.
The 'Month' values (1-12) refer to the months on the monthly version of the traffic monitoring chart, so 'Month12' refers to the most recent month, and that's the one to which the 'Day' values apply.

If you suffered this crash, then 'Month12' will be August 2013.

Take a note of these values if you want to retain them.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

[Edit: this is now redundant, as a corrected version has been released]

Restoring the errored seconds data is straightforward (up to a point), if a little tedious. Because the file es.data is only saved on program exit, the most recent copy you have will be from the last time you shut down DSLstats. If it's more than a day old then it's probably not worth fully restoring - just use the procedure below and remember that the data for earlier than today will be shown against the wrong day.

1. Work on the saved copy of es.data (we'll assume it's saved as es.data.bak).
2. Load es.data.bak into a text editor.
3. You'll see that the file starts with a pair of large numbers which you can ignore (they're not currently used) followed by a lot of similar sections headed "Days ago = nn", followed by 24 pairs of numbers representing the up and down data for each hour of the day.
4. You need to insert one (or more) of these 25-line sections immediately after the initial pair of large numbers, to push the other data back to where it belongs. Insert the following:

Code: [Select]
Days ago = 0

5. Now you need to edit the "Days ago = " lines so that the numbers run in sequence from 0 for the first one to 100 for the last. Delete any sections at the end which would exceed 100. Save es.data.bak
6. Shut down DSLstats.
7. If you want, you could now copy the "Days ago = 0" section of the newly saved es.data file to the same position in es.data.bak (overwrite that section, don't insert it). Save es.data.bak again.
8. Delete es.data. Rename es.data.bak as es.data
9. Restart DSLstats.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:45:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »

Thanks for letting us know.. 

...and thank you for all the hard work and time that you put into DSLstats.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 02:45:13 PM »

Corrected versions 3.94 now available (except for Raspberry Pi). If you still have the saved files dslstats.ini, es.data and traffic.txt from yesterday, you can put them back without changing them (after closing down DSLstats), and this version should carry on without problems. If you do this, any data acquired since midnight last night will be lost.

http://dslstats.plainroad.me.uk
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:43:40 PM by roseway »
  Eric