Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC changing isp  (Read 1752 times)

stumpy 101

FTTC changing isp
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »

Need help

I'am in the process of changing from BT Infinity to sky, just received a call from sky telling me that i can't have sky fiber as open reach have told them there is no spare "slots".I then told them that i already had infinity and that i have requested a mac code. their response to this was to tell me that my "slot" would be allocate to someone else! >:( Has anyone else had similar issues.

question 1. can this happen?
question 2. is there any way i can check capacity of my street cab ?

kind regards 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC changing isp
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »

I don't see why you would need to request a mac code as you are going from BT infinity to Sky Fibre see below.

OK, Now do I need a MAC?:

Unfortunately there are a lot of factors that determine this, ranging from who your current telephone line is through to what equipment sky have installed in your exchange and whether or not they have capacity, so unless reps know who your current services are with, exactly what hardware is in your exchange and if capacity is available, they will not be able to tell you, and even if they could things could change by the time you actually place the order.

However, I can tell you that if your current broadband is provisioned over a BT phone line or BT wholesale line (WLR3) then these points from A-D apply:-

A) Sky does not have equipment in your exchange - sky connect (MAC REQUIRED)

B) Sky has LLu equipment, but only Easynet DSLAM's (MAC REQUIRED)

C) Sky has LLu equipment with both their DSLAM's and their newer SVBN MSAN's but don't have capacity on the SVBN MSAN to put you straight on (for both broadband & phone), so you have to be temporarily WLR3/MSAN , WLR3/DSLAM or WLR3/Sky Connect provisioned untill you can be moved onto SVBN MSAN later. (MAC REQUIRED)

D) Sky has LLu equipment with both their DSLAM's and their newer SVBN MSAN's and have the capacity to put you straight onto the SVBN MSAN for both phone & broadband (NO MAC REQUIRED)

as you can see there are 4 different setups that sky can put you onto (even if temporary until your moved to SVBN later)

•WLR3/IPstream (BTw phone line + BT DSLAM - upto 8Mbps Sky Connect) - MAC REQUIRED
•WLR3/DSLAM (BTw phone line + Easynet DSLAM - upto 22Mbps Unlimited Broadband) - MAC REQUIRED
•WLR3/MSAN (BTw phone line +  Sky MSAN (Broadband Provision Only) - upto 22Mbps Unlimited Broadband) - MAC REQUIRED
•SVBN MSAN (Phone & Broadband Sky MSAN - upto 22Mbps Unlimited Broadband) - NO MAC REQUIRED
FIBRE connections (see below) make no difference, it is simply an 'extension' added to any of the above (apart from Sky Connect) and supplies upto 40/80Mbps Unlimited Broadband, if your coming from another FTTC product then  no MAC is required as one is terminated and the other started.

2nd their response to this was to tell me that my "slot" would be allocate to someone else.

It sounds like a BT scare responce to keep you as a current customer ignore it and move to new ISP if your exchange has been LLU'd then BT infinity to Sky Fibre should go as planned, but not sure if your FTTC cab has no slots left for new sky customers ?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:04:01 PM by NewtronStar »