Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.  (Read 38610 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

Thank you Eric,

I shall try it immediately, and keep a careful eye on it this evening, particularly at the 22:00 Current_stats run.  :fingers:

Cheers.

Eric - it seems to be asking me for a password to extract the .zip file. Is that right, or ...?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:18:51 PM by ColinS »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »

No, it shouldn't do that. I zipped it in exactly the same way as I zip the normal releases.

I just downloaded the uploaded version, and it unzipped without asking for a password.

Anyway, I can upload the unzipped executable. I'll do that right now.

Done:

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats.exe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:55:57 PM by roseway »
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »

No, it shouldn't do that. I zipped it in exactly the same way as I zip the normal releases.
Oh well, perhaps it didn't download properly.  Anyway, now live on v3.93 with the options checked.  Thanks again.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »

Eric,

Some feedback on v3.93 - apologies for the delay.

1) I seem to get access violations once I start it, and subsequently every time I select a tab.

2) I was watching the sync when it first started and noticed against the windows clock that the delay was ~10s.

I would have attached the .ini file but, something is still holding onto it, although the process is gone from Task Manager.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »

Probably this issue, Colin: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12864.0.html

I'll be uploading corrected versions shortly.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »

O.K. Here they are.

I have been running DSLStats v 3.92 for only a couple of hours (with the "Synchronise with HG612-Modem-Stats" option ticked), but so far so good.

I will attempt to force a clash between DSLStats.exe & HG612_stats.exe later on, just to see if both programs behave as intended, but the signs are promising.

Just a progress report on this to say - so far so good :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

Probably this issue, Colin: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12864.0.html

And so it was ... now running successfully on v3.94, looking for any interactions with modemstats, expecially @ 22:00.  :)

Thank you.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »

OK, the results of some (late-at-night :sleep:) testing .... all times are for my ageing server.

1) DSLstats v3.94 nothing 'unusual' of note in the log (thank you Eric)
01 Sep 2013 16:57:47   Average errors saved as 'errors43.txt' in snapshot directory
01 Sep 2013 16:57:47   Average error data reset
01 Sep 2013 16:58:02   Recording started
01 Sep 2013 16:58:29   IP address is now ....
02 Sep 2013 04:58:25   Auto snapshots taken

2) Last night I obtained BE's latest debugging modules, and decided to swap them in after the normal 23:58 Ongoing stats report for the day.
3) Stopped all modem_stats's logging using the settings editor at about 00:15
4) at ~00:30 ran current stats manually, with (it turns out) just the right timing to discover something ....

But before some results: here are some timings:
1) stats.exe (BE's harvesting) starts on the minute and takes ~3secs on my server
2) DSLstats starts sampling at ~10s past the minute and takes about 13-14 secs.  Please note Eric that AFAICS (and I've tried running the new DSLstats a number of times now) it always seems to run at 10s past, no matter when you start the programme (e.g. even at say 30-45secs past)
3) Current stats (which fortunately did run sucessfully this morning at 06:00) is started after the normal harvesting has completed (at about 3 secs past, but then with a further 10s delay, so ~13secs past in reality) and runs until about 31 secs past, i.e. across the 10s-24s past slot when DSLstats sampling occurs, and on this occasion right at the start of the modem sampling period of DSLstats.

So, some results:

********************************************************************************************
    02/09/2013  0:30:04.12 - In [HG612_current_stats.exe] - At the start of the main() function
    02/09/2013  0:30:15.46 - **** [HG612_current_stats.exe] - reply(display login) O.K. Status = 0.
    02/09/2013  0:30:15.68 - **** [HG612_current_stats.exe] - get_login_data() OK! Status = 0.
    =============================
User Name     : admin
Login IP      : 192.168.1.64
Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:14
Login TimeLen :
Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:11
Login TimeLen : 3(Secs)

i.e. I started current stats at around 4 seconds past the minute & it was 14 seconds past when it logged in to the modem.
(Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:14)
(There is a configurable (default 10s) delay in BE's module to try to avoid a clash with DSLstats when it previously ran on the minute, and in case a previous instance of harvesting has yet to complete due to CPU load, for example)

But we can also see that DSLStats had logged in at 11 seconds past the minute:-
(Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:11)
(and as I have recorded above runs until ~24secs past, but not all of that time is logged into the modem, we know)

The net effect was to cause current stats to fail - apparently because it did not get the expected reply to one of it's xdslcmds (perhaps similar to the occasional failure to get tone data that happens to DSLstats, I don't know?)

*  Gathering Snapshot Statistics from the modem  *
 The local time is: 00:30:04.138
There are 0 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Please wait for it to complete
HG612_stats.exe is NOT running
HG612_stats.exe is NOT running
  Temp File CURRENT-ISRUNNING-003004-138 was created
 Creating log file Plink_20130902-0030.log
 Delaying snapshot data harvesting by 10 seconds to avoid clashes with any other
 scheduled data harvesting tasks
 # 1 of 16
 ## 2 of 16
 ### 3 of 16
In reply(admin)
In reply(admin)
In reply(display login)
rxbuf = User Name     : admin
Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:14
Login TimeLen :
Login Time    : 2013-09-02 00:30:11
Login TimeLen : 3(Secs)
In reply(sh)
 #### 4 of 16
In reply(xdslcmd info --stats)
 ##### 5 of 16
 ###### 6 of 16
In reply(xdslcmd info --pbParams)
 ####### 7 of 16
 ######## 8 of 16
In reply(xdslcmd info --Bits)
 ######### 9 of 16
 ########## 10 of 16
In reply(xdslcmd info --linediag)
 ########### 11 of 16

And that's the point at which it 'stuck'.  Had it been running automatically with these same (relative) timings, then it's likely things would have stacked up as I saw yesterday, and Kitz has seen frequently.

These are just the facts.  The relevant logs have been sent to BE for further analysis, but in the meantime perhaps Eric might want consider a) why his synch delay doesn't seem to be as he expects b) if it needs to be much longer than that e.g. say 35secs or c) if he could have detected that e.g. current stats was already logged in when his sampling started, and delayed until it finished.  At worst (c) might lose one sample every so often, but might be easier to solve than these timing issues.  I don't know?
Similarly perhaps I need to reconsider the default (configurable) delay that Paul's programme uses to avoid clashes, because since they are both in effect delaying 10s past the minute, they end up running at ~ the same time again!!!  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »

Just a quick response to part of that, as I have to go out shortly. I'm not sure why DSLstats is starting recording at 10 seconds past the minute, and I'll look at that, but in the meantime one thing you could do is to turn off the 'synchronise' option and manually start DSLstats recording at (say) 30 seconds past the minute. If your sample repetition rate is set to 60 seconds, then it should remain synchronised at 30 seconds past the minute.

(If you do it this way, then if you pause or stop and restart recording you will need to press the green button at the 30 second point each time.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:39:07 AM by roseway »
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

Eric, Thanks.

I've implemented your suggested work-around, and DSLstats is now sampling between 35-49sec past. :)

:fingers:

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »

Colin...  I think what may have happened is that purely co-incidence.. & for the first time you ran into the issues that I see.

because since they are both in effect delaying 10s past the minute, they end up running at ~ the same time again!!!  :(

With the benefit of hindsight, I think this observation goes some way to explaining that it was, in part, indeed the unintended consequence of Eric's valiant efforts to avoid his sampling clashing with Paul's harvesting.  Unfortunately, they both ended up running at approximately the same time, thereby significantly (though unintentionally) increasing the chances of a clash occurring, particularly at the longer-running current stats snapshot intervals.

Well, I think we are all a bit more informed now about what may be happening, and I think everyone who has contributed to that deserves a round of applause from me for that.  Thank you all. :clap2:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »

Thanks for the kind thoughts :)

Some more points:

DSLstats' collision avoidance system depends (obviously) on its detecting a collision, and at present the only way it can do that is to try to log in and deal with the consequence of a failed login, if it happens. It rarely happens, and the present action is to delay the next sample by 10 seconds. Now that it has (I believe) a non-drifting timer, it seems to me that this 10 second delay is unnecessary and counterproductive. Better, I think, to keep it sampling consistently at 35-40 seconds after the minute.

If I knew how to check whether any of Paul's programs are running at the time when a sample is due I could possibly take other actions, but it should normally only be the case under error conditions or if a user has started a one-off unscheduled run.

Reading between the lines, Colin, are you starting DSLstats with the "autostart recording" option set? I have yet to check, but it may be the case that the "synchronise" option doesn't work as intended in this case.

[Later edit]  I think that the 'synchronise' option is working as designed, including when the autostart option is used. The issue is that the design is slightly defective as a result of a typo by yours truly. It actually starts recording between 10 and 45 seconds after the minute, so if you press the green button outside that time it will always start at 10 seconds after the minute. :-[
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:12:26 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »

Colin, I also queried the 10 second delay for current stats a few pages back, but I think Paul covered that in one of his replies.   
Im now not certain... but the way I understood the explanation, was the 10 second delay only occurred during a manual run?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »

DSLstats' collision avoidance system depends (obviously) on its detecting a collision, and at present the only way it can do that is to try to log in and deal with the consequence of a failed login, if it happens. It rarely happens, and the present action is to delay the next sample by 10 seconds. Now that it has (I believe) a non-drifting timer, it seems to me that this 10 second delay is unnecessary and counterproductive. Better, I think, to keep it sampling consistently at 35-40 seconds after the minute.
Well, that would work for me ;)

If I knew how to check whether any of Paul's programs are running at the time when a sample is due I could possibly take other actions, but it should normally only be the case under error conditions or if a user has started a one-off unscheduled run.
I did wonder about using the 'display login' info, but then I think you said earlier that it doesn't work on the 622.  I'm sure Paul has some code that detects another 'hg612_stats.exe' running ... could you not share that?

Reading between the lines, Colin, are you starting DSLstats with the "autostart recording" option set? I have yet to check, but it may be the case that the "synchronise" option doesn't work as intended in this case.
Just for the record (I had to check!), no I don't.

[Later edit]  I think that the 'synchronise' option is working as designed, including when the autostart option is used. The issue is that the design is slightly defective as a result of a typo by yours truly. It actually starts recording between 10 and 45 seconds after the minute, so if you press the green button outside that time it will always start at 10 seconds after the minute. :-[
Ah, yes, I see - it's a facility!  :D ;)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

Thanks for the kind thoughts :)

Some more points:

There are at least a couple of ways to do that:-

One is via a Windows installed program named tasklist.exe
It comes with all Windows versions apart from XP Home (AFAIK).

e.g.

tasklist /fi "imagename eq HG612_stats.exe"

returns this if HG612_stats.exe is running:-

Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
HG612_stats.exe               6852 Services                   0      3,780 K

tasklist /fi "imagename eq HG612_stats.exe"

returns this if HG612_stats.exe is NOT running:-

INFO: No tasks are running which match the specified criteria.

just running tasklist will list all running tasks.

The output can be directed to a file for parsing if required.

RONSKI also put a small program together for determining if specific processes are running (as used in my programs):-

HG612_stats_running = IsRunningVB.exe "HG612_stats.exe"
HG612_current_stats_running = IsRunningVB.exe "HG612_current_stats.exe"

That stores the number of running processes in the HG612_stats_running or HG612_current_stats_running variables that match the specified program names.
He may be willing to share the code that you could incorporate into DSLStats?

e.g. pseudo code:-

if HG612_stats_running > 0, hang on for a few seconds & keep checking until it equals zero.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8