Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.  (Read 38616 times)

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »

Do you mean today's updates?

Yes.

If so, could you please email all the logs to me to see if I can spot anything?

I've cleared it out and set it running again, it should generate graphs at 22:00, after that I'll email the logs etc.

The isrunning files from when anything has gone wrong are currently intentionally NOT deleted, just to make it easier to spot the timings of any occasional problems & thus point to a particular point in the various logs rather than having to wade through potentially hundreds/thousands of rows.

I didn't realise the ongoing files were intentionally not being deleted

There may just be a command or something now being done slightly differently that doesn't agree with WHS 2011.

Thats what I was thinking, I've sent you an email before I saw your post, but I didn't mention what versions I used. The one that works is the July 14, the one that doesn't is the one posted on here today.

Does HG612_current_stats.exe run properly when manually started (24/7 logging switched off)?

Yes HG612_current_stats.exe runs properly when manually started.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

The isrunning files from when anything has gone wrong are currently intentionally NOT deleted, just to make it easier to spot the timings of any occasional problems & thus point to a particular point in the various logs rather than having to wade through potentially hundreds/thousands of rows.

I didn't realise the ongoing files were intentionally not being deleted

That's just a temporary measure until these issues have been fully resolved.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »

:( :( :( :( :(

I am sorry to report it, but unfortunately, Eric's recent changes to DSLstats to try to provide coexistence with HG612modemstats have made the situation significantly worse for me.

The only change I made yesterday was to implement v3.92 of DSLstats.  I had not, as yet, made any further changes to HG612modemstats, i.e. the new debugging versions you posted last night. So, I'm still running on the 26/08 version you previously sent me - not any of the ones downloaded from this thread.

I made the change to v3.92 yesterday morning just after Eric posted it's availability, and I used the new 'synchronise' option.  Everything seemed OK up until we had to go out last night about 6pm (after your post about your new debugging download on here BE), but by the time we got back late last night, my server was running at 100% CPU, and the same processes as Kitz has previously reported were stacked up with loads of instances, viz:

cmd.exe
conhost.exe
HG612_stats.exe
isRunningVB.exe

Now, as you know BE, apart from hg612-stats.exe I have never seen those other process stacked up in this way before, ever. So, unfortunately, I'm sorry to report that v3.92 has significantly worsened the situation for me, Eric.  And to provide additional evidence, since reloading the server last night, and without v3.92 running, there have been no further instances of this issue.   :( :( :( :( :(

I will email you the logs & things BE.  Sorry Eric. :(

[edit] And just to be explicit, I had previously been running with v3.9 and BE's debugging harvesting without any issues - but then, as I have reported above, my aging server is so slow that I had only rarely seen it 'catch up' with modemstats in time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:20:27 AM by ColinS »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

Colin, all the DSLstats 'synchronise' option does is delay the start of recording if necessary so that it starts between 15 and 45 seconds after the minute. I understand that HG612 Modem Stats starts on the minute, so this should ensure that they're not logging in at the same time (not initially at least). It's hard to see how this could make the situation worse (although I don't doubt what you say of course).
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »

Colin, all the DSLstats 'synchronise' option does is delay the start of recording if necessary so that it starts between 15 and 45 seconds after the minute. I understand that HG612 Modem Stats starts on the minute, so this should ensure that they're not logging in at the same time (not initially at least). It's hard to see how this could make the situation worse (although I don't doubt what you say of course).
I appreciate that Eric, and I agree that I can't see how this happened either. :shrug2: All I can say is that it ran from 28/08-30/08 with v3.9 and the 28/08 debugging version I had from Paul with no problems. :no: Installed v3.92 about 10:30 yesterday, and it looks like it failed during the 22:00 Current_stats plot. 

Circumstancial I agree, :( but a) this was the only change since 28/08 and b) I have never seen anything other than multiple hg612_stats.exe (the 1min harvesting) stacked up before, ever.  So while I apologise in advance if it's just coincidence, :( it was a very unusual set of circumstances for me :o, and I think BE & I have been chasing this problem since about 16/08.

I just need to report what I have seen, so that both you and he can think about it. :hmm:

[Edit] One thing that would help, is if you could produce a debugging version of DSLstats that keeps your log file permanently without asking, and not just on exit, because when a reboot becomes the only option, you can't get in to do so. :-\
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:53:17 AM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »

Colin...  I think what may have happened is that purely co-incidence.. & for the first time you ran into the issues that I see.

The problem I have (and possibly happens more frequently on faster processors than slower)...  is that DSLstats will start at 15seconds past the minute...  then gradually moves forward..  ie 14,13,12...3,2,1 seconds past the minute.

Then when it occurs at exactly the same time as HGstats then you get all the stuck items in task manager such as cmd and vbisrunning..  although I must admit I think vbisrunning & cmd (for me) tends to mostly get stuck after a failed run of HG612_current_stats.

Can you recall if HG612_current_stats.exe also in your task manager?  Did you also have a failed run of HG612_current_stats?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »

[Edit] One thing that would help, is if you could produce a debugging version of DSLstats that keeps your log file permanently without asking, and not just on exit, because when a reboot becomes the only option, you can't get in to do so. :-\

Yes, certainly. I'll do that ASAP. I'll make it (optionally) save the event log after each new event is logged. The best option, I think, will be to keep the same filename so each save overwrites the previous one, but increment a number in the filename each time DSLstats is started afresh.

Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

The problem I have (and possibly happens more frequently on faster processors than slower)...  is that DSLstats will start at 15seconds past the minute...  then gradually moves forward..  ie 14,13,12...3,2,1 seconds past the minute.

That's a bit of a puzzle actually. I would have expected the sampling time to slowly get later, not earlier, because the logic goes: "If the time between the last sample and now is greater than or equal to the configured time, then start the next sample".

I'm still thinking over this problem, looking for a better way to keep DSLstats in sync with the Windows timer. One possible way is to change the logic so that the start of each sample is referenced to the time the previous sample should have started, and not to the time when it actually started. This should hopefully eliminate the drift.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

Colin...  I think what may have happened is that purely co-incidence.. & for the first time you ran into the issues that I see.

Then when it occurs at exactly the same time as HGstats then you get all the stuck items in task manager such as cmd and vbisrunning..  although I must admit I think vbisrunning & cmd (for me) tends to mostly get stuck after a failed run of HG612_current_stats.

Can you recall if HG612_current_stats.exe also in your task manager?  Did you also have a failed run of HG612_current_stats?
Yes, as I said in the post above the failure occured (after or) during the 22:00 Current_stats snapshot - but NOT the earlier 14:00 one, for example. So you may be right about that.  However, in testing that I did from as early as 16/08 it never occurred either in all that time.  So it would have to be a very exceptionally bad bit of luck (but not impossibly so) for this to suddenly occur now.

And while it may indeed be coincidence, I would simply point out that the time-gaining issue (which I have no doubt at  all occurs), has NOT been an issue for me given the ancient 13yr-old CPU that mine's runs on.  You will note that it did NOT catch up in 48hours with v3.9, but by this hypothesis it did in ~12hrs.  I agree with your feeling that this is directly related to processor speed, although Eric has given the details of the timer he uses in an earlier post.

I would also repeat that it was exceptionally usual for me to see all these other processes stacked up.  In fact that has never happened to me before, never.  The only thing that has ever happened to me in extensive debugging on this is that several instances of hg612_stats.exe stack up (but never in the number you have seen!).

So, we just need to wait & see what Paul's analysis is of the debugging logs I have already sent him.  Unfortuntely I was unable to preserve Eric's ones.

[edited] to clarify on current_stats.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:17:25 PM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »

That's a bit of a puzzle actually. I would have expected the sampling time to slowly get later, not earlier, because the logic goes: "If the time between the last sample and now is greater than or equal to the configured time, then start the next sample".

It is rather strange, I also would normally expect runs to get slightly later & it certainly is more logical. 
But its not just me that's observed this...  BE sees it too.

The only possible thing that springs to mind is that perhaps the timer tries to compensate against running later and intentionally moves forward by xseconds to allow time for the task to complete,  but faster processors dont need quite so long? :shrug2:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »

Yes, as I said in the post above the failure occured after the 22:00 Current_stats snapshot

Sorry I missed that  :-[

I think I was just trying to identify if it was current_stats which caused it..   because from my experience thats when you will see the all the other mentioned tasks and not just HG612stats.exe stacked up.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

The only possible thing that springs to mind is that perhaps the timer tries to compensate against running later and intentionally moves forward by xseconds to allow time for the task to complete,  but faster processors dont need quite so long? :shrug2:

I think it's more the case that the timer I'm using isn't in sync with the Windows timer. It's an independent timing system. The new method which I referred to a couple of messages ago will effectively sync it to the Windows timer (or the corresponding system timer on other OSs). I wish I'd thought of it before.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »

No probs. :)  You seem to be right about current stats leaving these other processes about.  But, I'm puzzled why I never saw that in over a fortnight's debugging; but then current stats only runs 3 times a day, @ 6am, 2pm & 10pm.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »

The new method which I referred to a couple of messages ago will effectively sync it to the Windows timer (or the corresponding system timer on other OSs). I wish I'd thought of it before.
But you have now, and it sounds like a good thing to try ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »

I've now uploaded a version of DSLstats (Windows only) which has the new-style timer and also includes the option to save the event log automatically after each new event. This is the executable only, so just overwrite the v3.92 executable with this one.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats.exe.zip
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

anything