Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.  (Read 38629 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

Well done, finding that command. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the HG622.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »

I note that at 6:00 there was no "End of HG612_stats.exe. Status = 1,"
In the temporary absence of our esteemed feathered friend ....

The cause of whatever happened on this occasion seems different to (all) the others we've all seen.  As you said, it seems on this occasion modem_stats hasn't exited properly from its harvesting.  Assuming that this then left that process around, any subsequent harvests, whether by the 1min timer or by the scheduled 'current' snapshots, will are meant to exit as soon as they see that there is already another process running. The fact that they didn't, and also the fact that there seems to be no trace of it making repeated (up to 50) attempts to try to login again successfully after a first failure, makes me wonder which (debugging) version of the modem_stats you are actually running?

That's all I can see atm from the traces, but then I'm no noble bird. ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »

>> makes me wonder which (debugging) version of the modem_stats you are actually running

The ones provided by BE in this thread, Ive been dropping them in as he attatches.  I hope I have all the right ones.

>>> the fact that there seems to be no trace of it making repeated (up to 50) attempts to try to login again successfully after a first failure,

Hmmm, you are right.. it was logging the repeated attempts up until
27/08/2013 15:04:08.52 - 32 trying reply(sh) again.

Very shortly after that I put in this current_stats version.

A new version of HG612_current_stats.exe is attached, also disabling HG622 compatibility for now, along with including the DSLStats partial workaround. It doesn't include any of the extra event/error logging, but it does work O.K.

Since I dropped that in, Ive not seen any of the repeated attempts recorded in the logs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:37:50 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

A new version of HG612_current_stats.exe is attached, also disabling HG622 compatibility for now, along with including the DSLStats partial workaround. It doesn't include any of the extra event/error logging, but it does work O.K.
Since I dropped that in, Ive not seen any of the repeated attempts recorded in the logs.
Aaaah! I forgot that he said that (see above) - which would explain it obviously :doh:.

If you're not having any further problems, I guess you should just hang on until he flies in again.  I'm not sure whether the version you're using is the same as the one I'm using - I suspect possibly not, as that .zip file was 25.84Kb, and the one I'm using (although the same date) was 44Kb. :hmm:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »

I have put together some new debugging versions of HG612_stats.exe, HG612_current_stats.exe & SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.exe

Thanks to Kitz discovering the display login command used at the ATP> prompt, a new log (named Login_events.TXT) is generated including these details:-

Code: [Select]

***********************************************************************************
29/08/2013 22:06:00.15 - In HG612_stats.exe - At the start of the main() function
29/08/2013 22:06:00.31 - There are 1 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 0,
29/08/2013 22:06:02.21 - **** reply(display login) O.K. Status = 1.
29/08/2013 22:06:02.43 - **** get_login_data() OK! Status = 1.
=============================

User Name     : admin

Login IP      : 192.168.1.100

Login Time    : 2013-08-29 22:06:00

Login TimeLen : 1(Secs)

Login Time    : 2013-08-29 22:05:56

Login TimeLen : 5(Secs)

Login Time    : 2013-08-29 22:04:47

Login TimeLen : 1(Mins) 14(Secs)

Login Time    : 2013-08-29 22:00:43

Login TimeLen : 5(Mins) 18(Secs)

29/08/2013 22:06:03.18 - 01 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:03.94 - 02 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:04.74 - 03 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:05.50 - 04 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:06.28 - 05 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:07.06 - 06 trying reply(sh) again.
29/08/2013 22:06:07.31 - ** WARNING!! HG612_stats.exe - Logging in to the modem only succeeded after 06 additional attempts to reply(sh)
29/08/2013 22:06:08.20 - Normal End of HG612_stats.exe
**********************************************************************************

I tried very hard to make it crash by having a number of sessions open at the same time, but the worst that happened was that a few additional attempts were needed during DSLStat's sampling period.

I see that Eric has now released an updated version with compatibility for HG612 Modem Stats.

I'll try that when I get home from work & if all still seems well, I'll attach the amended debugging versions for anyone wishing to test them.

FWIW, while I've been at it, I've 'improved' resync detection for those connections that resync at maximum speeds.
It also now considers AS (available seconds) along with sync speed.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:31:10 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Korben_dallas

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

Many thanks for all yuor hard work with the HG612 Modem Stats, I have been using the latest updates and does seem to work better although get the occassional glitch but no duplicate exe's running now.

Look forward to trying out the update.

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

Thank you BE. 
I'm willing to test the new versions if you want to attach them :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

O.K. Here they are.

All 3 programs need to be extracted to the 'Scripts' folder

I have been running DSLStats v 3.92 for only a couple of hours (with the "Synchronise with HG612-Modem-Stats" option ticked), but so far so good.

I will attempt to force a clash between DSLStats.exe & HG612_stats.exe later on, just to see if both programs behave as intended, but the signs are promising.

I am still seeing the occasional duplicated Windows task bug, but my programs seem to handle them reasonably well.
As these duplicated tasks run very, very close to each other, there have been 2 occasions today when both instances of HG612_stats.exe spotted each other & both exited, causing that minute's sample to be missed.

Has anyone tried the Microsoft 'fix' for this issue yet?
I haven't.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461249/en-us?sd=rss&spid=14019

It does seem rather strange that it has only become an issue quite recently.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:53:54 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »

Thank you BE... now installed.

---------

btw Ive had a few more of the multiple instances occur and Ive just cleared out a few hundred running instances of HGstats/vbisrumming/conhost.

HG612_current_stats.exe was also stuck & didnt complete the 14:00 run.
As previous this being stuck is what caused HG612stats.exe to also stop logging.

On the whole ive not had any problems with HG612_stats getting stuck.. unless it was triggered by a failed run of HG612_current_stats.

Hopefully the new veriosn of HG_612_current_stats will sort that?  :)

-----------

No I havent tried the MS fix,  what surprised me when I looked at it was that it supposedly went back to the beginning of last year...  but like you Ive only just noticed it...  I think it said something about it being included in a future version of windows update.   I wonder if it was fixed..  and then like you said in an earlier post.. an update since has broken it again? 
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

PS Paul... Ive just had a thought.

Since your fixes, HG612stats has been running fine.. and the only problems I see now have occurred after a failed HG612_current_stats.

-----------

I dont know the internals of your program or code..  but something has just struck me..  if Im not surmising your code correctly ignore me.

• HG612stats checks for other instances and if false runs the code to collect stats.
  • HG612_current_stats checks for other instances and if false.. pauses 10 seconds and then collects stats.
    During this 10 seconds DSLstats could have started, causing HG612_current_stats to fail.
  • HG612_current_stats then gets stuck in task manager
  • From my observations HG612stats always appears to  get stuck when HG612_current_stats does..  and this is when all stat logging ceases... and numerous HG612stats.exe start piling up in task manager

-----

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »

Sorry to say BE, but the latest updates still disagrees with my WHS 2011, same symptoms - error log not being written to, isrunning files not being deleted, but does not cause multiple instances.

Is anybody else having these symptoms?

I only run BEs program, but a version of 1.1 I have from July works.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

PS Paul... Ive just had a thought.

Since your fixes, HG612stats has been running fine.. and the only problems I see now have occurred after a failed HG612_current_stats.

-----------

I dont know the internals of your program or code..  but something has just struck me..  if Im not surmising your code correctly ignore me.

• HG612stats checks for other instances and if false runs the code to collect stats.
  • HG612_current_stats checks for other instances and if false.. pauses 10 seconds and then collects stats.
    During this 10 seconds DSLstats could have started, causing HG612_current_stats to fail.
  • HG612_current_stats then gets stuck in task manager
  • From my observations HG612stats always appears to  get stuck when HG612_current_stats does..  and this is when all stat logging ceases... and numerous HG612stats.exe start piling up in task manager

Not quite.

If HG612_stats.exe is running & HG612_current_stats is run manually, HG612_current_stats.exe is delayed by whatever delay setting is specified via Settings Editor.

However, if HG612_current_stats.exe is triggered by the schedule set via Settings Editor or by a resync being detected whilst running HG612_stats.exe 24/7, any pre-set delays are ignored & as that check is made AFTER HG612_stats.exe has logged out of the modem & written the data to modem_stats.log, there shouldn't really be any problems.

These checks used to happen around 2 seconds into HG612_stats.exe.

With the recent additional checking & dealing with DSLStats.exe also running 24/7 etc., the checks for scheduled logging or resyncs are now made around 3 seconds into HG612_stats.exe.

Grabbing the stats for current_stats takes around 7 seconds & if auto-graphing is switched on, that adds another 4 seconds (approximately).

Adding compatibility for HG622 modems added a little more time due to needing to harvest more/different data & the whole process can now take typically around 14-15 seconds on my PC when scheduled current stats & auto-graphing are all switched on, a bit longer if DSLStats was sampling at the time HG612_stats.exe was due to start.

There did seem a strong possibility that some of this would at some stage clash with DSLStats, hence the recent extra checking that seems to work without any issues (at my end anyway).

Now that Eric has added the "Synchronise with HG612-Modem-Stats" option to v 3.92, any remaining issues will hopefully have been dealt with.

It may just have been that the timing of DSLStats's sampling clashed on your particular setup.

I suppose you'll find out at 22:00 tonight or at 06:00 tomorrow morning (if that's when harvesting/graphing current stats is scheduled on your PC).

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

Sorry to say BE, but the latest updates still disagrees with my WHS 2011, same symptoms - error log not being written to, isrunning files not being deleted, but does not cause multiple instances.

Do you mean today's updates?
If so, could you please email all the logs to me to see if I can spot anything?

The isrunning files from when anything has gone wrong are currently intentionally NOT deleted, just to make it easier to spot the timings of any occasional problems & thus point to a particular point in the various logs rather than having to wade through potentially hundreds/thousands of rows.

There may just be a command or something now being done slightly differently that doesn't agree with WHS 2011.

Does HG612_current_stats.exe run properly when manually started (24/7 logging switched off)?

Is anybody else having these symptoms?

I only run BEs program, but a version of 1.1 I have from July works.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »

Just a thought....................

If the task is disabled via Settings Editor, you'll probably see this in the ini file:-

[Logging]
Ongoing_Logging =         NO
Current_Stats =            NO

Also only this in the Login_events.TXT file in the Scripts folder:-

***********************************************************************************
30/08/2013 21:23:20.78 - In [HG612_stats.exe] - At the start of the main() function
30/08/2013 21:23:20.95 - There are 1 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 0,
30/08/2013 21:23:21.65 - Normal End of [HG612_stats.exe]
**********************************************************************************

That's when HG612_stats.exe is run directly & with the task disabled.

You'll also probably just see a quick flash of messages in the CMD.EXE window

If that's the case, manually editing the ini file to show this might be the cure (it also catches me out now & then):-

Ongoing_Logging =         YES

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »

It may just have been that the timing of DSLStats's sampling clashed on your particular setup.
I suppose you'll find out at 22:00 tonight or at 06:00 tomorrow morning (if that's when harvesting/graphing current stats is scheduled on your PC).

It doesnt happen everytime, mostly it will run for a day or so without problems, but because DSLstats (used to) gradually creep forward and gain a few seconds, at some point in the cycle it would hit at the same time as a sample.  For eg I could set it off at 15 seconds past the hour, but slowly it would gain time and start sampling at 14,13,... 2,1,0 seconds past.   That is was happened in one of my earlier posts when it hit the 2pm schedule for HG612_current_stats.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

anything