Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.  (Read 38631 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »

I'd noticed that after a couple of days of running HG612 modem stats that my PC would start being a bit sluggish and upon investigating I found that I would have hundreds of instances of HG612_stats.exe running. 

Because of the volume, the only way I could clear them all was to reboot the PC.  Last night I tried to do some testing and see if I could find out the reason, but unfortunately Ive drawn a blank other than note that a few other users said they had the same issue.

For an hour or so last night I did a fresh reboot and stopped running DSLstats to see if that was the culprit, but it didnt seem to make any difference because every minute  a new process HG612_stats.exe *32 would generate in Task Manager.

I also have a few hundred conhost.exe (Console Windows Host) running.
and an awful lot of ONGOING-ISRUNNING-xxxxxx-xxx files in the scripts folder. 

At one point I thought I'd found the culprit (having HG612 Settings editor running), but that was closed last night and by this morning I again had 100s of HG612_stats.exe running. 

I've found I can trigger multiple instances by having one of the text files in HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts open, but that shouldnt have accounted for all the new processes overnight.

Anyone else any other ideas?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 modem stats - multiple instances.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

This issue was spotted recently & I have been working on an update that seems to deal with it.

I'm not sure about leaving a text file open being a possible trigger, but it could have some relevance, although I haven't seen that cause any isses at my end.

Could you confirm which particular file or files seemed to trigger the issue?

With a lot of help from ColinS (testing various debugging versions & forwarding resulting error log files etc.), we seem to have found that the method used to allow access to a HG622 modem in v 1.1 has actually introduced a bug for some HG612 users.

Users most affected appear to be those with very slow PCs or having the programs working on very 'busy' PCs, especially when used as servers.

I have attached a copy of the bug-fix version (using an alternative & still automated method of determining & accessing a HG622, that now doesn't cause any issues for HG612 modem users) if you wouldn't mind trying it out.

Simply use it in the Scripts folder instead of the current version of HG612_stats.exe (after termininating any left over instances of HG612_stats.exe, CMD.exe and Conhost.exe - or rebooting the PC).

For now, it generates a specific error log file in the Ongoing_Stats folder named "ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT"

If any issues are still spotted, it would be most helpful if that log file (or snippets of it) could be posted for my detailed inspection.

FWIW, this version also deals with the known occasional Windows bug, where more than one instance of a Windows Scheduled Task attempts to run, even though it is already running.
The Task Scheduler setting to NOT run another instance doesn't always seem to work as Microsoft intended it to.
(At least on my Windows 7 PC).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461249/en-us?sd=rss&spid=14019

Assuming the debugging version does fix matters properly, I'll release a 'normal' version in due course.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:37:29 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »

Thank you BE... on the ball as usual :)

>> Could you confirm which particular file or files seemed to trigger the issue?

It may or may not be a co-incidence, but I could do a reboot and it would be fine for a couple of times, but when I open say a log or txt file it would seem to trigger it off.   eg modem_stats.log, error.log

I only noticed this because I was deliberately looking at the files to see what to keep etc before I tried a fresh install ( & update)

>> Users most affected appear to be those with very slow PCs or having the programs working on very 'busy' PCs, especially when used as servers.

i7-3770 CPU with 8GB of RAM running Win 7 Pro so dont think its hardware.
It at times does get used with some programs that may be a lil bit heavy on resources (such as D/W, photoshop).  I dont currently have the FTP or HTTP server running.   
Last night all that was open was Mail, a half finished page in DreamWeaver (so it would have periodically been syncing with the site, but that shouldnt cause probs) DSLstats & HG612stats.

>> the method used to allow access to a HG622 modem in v 1.1

Although Ive downloaded v1.1 I've not yet updated it.

>> I have attached a copy of the bug-fix version

I certainly will, thank you..  reason for delay was going to do a quick setting up tutorial  for HG612 stats, but not quite finished it.
Will get back to you :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »

This issue was spotted recently & I have been working on an update that seems to deal with it.

<snip>

With a lot of help from ColinS (testing various debugging versions & forwarding resulting error log files etc.), we seem to have found that the method used to allow access to a HG622 modem in v 1.1 has actually introduced a bug for some HG612 users.

Would you please let me know (and not by a tail peck, thank you) if you have implemented the technique that we recently discussed as the 'work around'? If yes, I'll test its behaviour with a HG622 device.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »

Would you please let me know (and not by a tail peck, thank you) if you have implemented the technique that we recently discussed as the 'work around'? If yes, I'll test its behaviour with a HG622 device.  :)

Thank you b*cat.

That is indeed that is the method currently implemented in the 'debugging' version.
It seems to work purrfectly with the HG612, but as yet I have not tested with a HG622.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »

Thank you for the confirmation, Mr Eagle. I will check the operation with a HG622 modem/router and report back with my observations.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »

I can now report that with a minor adjustment (detailed in my e-mail message to the Eagles' Nest) the code is also satisfactory for a HG622 modem/router.  :)

Time for b*cat is search for his delayed evening meal . . .  :angel:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:46:20 AM »

The fix 'appears' to have been running successfully now for about 7 hrs with only one instance showing in Task Manager.

However, Im not quite sure what Ive done wrong, but the scheduled current stats for midnight didnt run.. nor did my ongoing stats due at 23:58

24/08/2013 00:38:00.390 - [ IN HG612_stats.EXE ] - Start of 1 minute sampling
24/08/2013 00:38:00.451 - HG612_current_stats.exe was NOT running
24/08/2013 00:38:00.451 - Temp File ONGOING-ISRUNNING-003800-451.TXT was created
24/08/2013 00:38:00.631 - *** Now in exit_2_instances as there are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1.
24/08/2013 00:38:00.645 - *** In exit_2_instances - Closing ERROR.LOG. Status = 1.

23/08/2013 23:58:00.35 - In HG612_stats.exe - After ini_parse(). ERROR.LOG status = 0,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.37 - working_directory = C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts - ERROR.LOG status = 0,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.38 - After attempting to open ERROR.LOG, ERROR.LOG status = 1
23/08/2013 23:58:00.44 - About to create ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.45 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT created. Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.57 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - There are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.58 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - ** About to exit as there are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.60 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - *** Now in exit_2_instances as there are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.61 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - *** In exit_2_instances - Closing ERROR.LOG. Status = 1,

Last data appears to have been collected at
23/08/2013 18:20 79999 14441 12.6 20.4 14.3 6.9 105128 27659 PTM  according to the modem_stats.log.

* kitz goes to check check and double check my settings. 
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »

A Windows Scheduled Task is set up via the Settings Editor to run every minute, indefinitely until the task is disabled or deleted.
The task should trigger HG612_Run.exe to run HG612_stats.exe completely 'silently'.

You should only see HG612_stats.exe in Task Manager for around 2 seconds each minute.

If HG612_stats.exe is still running (or 'stuck'), any subsequent attempts to to run it will be exited:-

23/08/2013 23:58:00.57 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - There are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1,
23/08/2013 23:58:00.58 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-235800-432.TXT - ** About to exit as there are 2 instances of HG612_stats.exe running. Status = 1,

This is intended to allow HG612_stats.exe to complete properly whenever the PC is slowed sufficiently (e.g. by a very resource hungry virus scan etc.) that a new instance tries to start before the original instance has completed.

If HG612_stats.exe is permanently visible in Task Manager, it could be left over from before you started using 'bug-fix' version, some other event has caused it to lock or v 1.1 is still using the HG612_stats.ini file from v 1.0.

If HG612_stats.exe is still showing permanently in Task Manager, possibly hogging up to 25% of CPU resource for each instance, the process(es) should be ended & logging should then continue as intended.

If the last 2 sections are not included in the ini file as shown in this snippet ([Editor] & [Event/Error_logging]), simply copy & paste them in:-

Code: [Select]

[Logging]

Ongoing_Logging= YES
Current_Stats= YES
Current_Stats_Interval= 8                               
Current_Stats_Datum= 06

[Editor]
Use_own_tasks=                          NO

[Event/Error_logging]
Extensive_event_logging=                YES

I have tried to reproduce the issue of having the associated text files open in Wordpad & MS Word (causing HG612_stats.exe to lock), but have been unable to do so.

The only effect was to cause missed data from the relevant file.

Closing the files allowed data to be recorded again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »

>> You should only see HG612_stats.exe in Task Manager for around 2 seconds each minute.

I can confirm this is what was happening after I used the new fix.   Last night I removed the task and tried creating a new one, but for some reason I still didnt get any stats logged.  I can confirm that I did a reboot inbetween moving in order to clear all the running HG612_stats in task manager.

In the end I put the old v1.1 back and logging has resumed. I did another fresh boot during that process.
This morning I notice that I have lots of the running processes again.   I really dont want to reboot the PC atm as I have something open.

What I will do though is clear the task, then manually remove all instances from task manager and replace with the debug version again.   I'll do that in a mo and get back to you asap on this although I should be something else atm :D :D

>>> I have tried to reproduce the issue of having the associated text files open

As mentioned above, it may have just been co-incidence then.  Sorry for the red herring :/   Sometimes it will be fine for a short while.. until one process gets stuck, then this seems to set the add a new instance every minute.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »

Just had to do a reboot :(  :'(
There wasnt anyway I could clear everything too many instances of other things such as cmd.exe, isvbrumming, console etc..  everything just locked up.

I notice it didnt log the current stats again today - which is hardly surprising as it seems that HG612_current_stats.exe is one of the processes which was stuck.   In the midst of all this my line did a resync and came back up at 15Mb.  It looks like it tried to log the resync stats then broke... all I have is an empty folder with no content.   This being stuck was the final straw for my PC and everything became unresponsive hence having to force a shutdown.

Ive put the fix back in place.   I can confirm that those lines are appended in the .ini file.

However once again as soon as I put the fix in place then just as before, nothing gets recorded or appended to the modem_stats.log

Last item recorded is  24/08/2013 12:47 79999 15295

I may see if I can quickly put v 1 back on if the file is still around ...  I have guests due and Ive still not made up the guest room nor been and got the necessary supplies for this evening. 

----
cant find the link for v1..   damn it.... not recording anything atm :(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:11:05 PM by kitz »
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »

I have attached my own v 1.1 HG612_stats.ini file (also using the bug-fix version of HG612_stats.exe - without any problem at all).

Does yours look similar?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:15:42 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »

yep

Code: [Select]
[Login]

IP_address= 192.168.1.1
Username= admin
Password= admin
Shell= sh

[Locations]

Main_folder= C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats
Scripts_and_Programs= C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts
Apps_folder= C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats\Apps
Current_Stats_folder= C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats\Current_Stats
Ongoing_Stats_folder= C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\HG612_Modem_Stats\Ongoing_Stats

[Mode]

Mode= extensive

[Graphing]

Pause_after_obtaining_snapshot_data= NO
Auto_graph_Snapshot_data= YES
Pause_after_snapshot_graphs_plotted= NO
Pause_after_ongoing_graphs_plotted= NO
Plot_area_background_colour= 31
Daily_Graphing= YES
Daily_Graphing_Time= 23:58

[Delays]

Delay_snapshot_data_harvest_seconds= 10
Delay_ongoing_data_harvest_seconds= 0

[Logging]

Ongoing_Logging= YES
Current_Stats= YES
Current_Stats_Interval= 8                   
Current_Stats_Datum= 06

[Editor]
Use_own_tasks= NO

[Event/Error_logging]
Extensive_event_logging= YES
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »

I cant find a link for v1 seems to all re-direct back to 1.1. 

anyone got a linky please?
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

1.1 just snarles up my PC,  the fix seems to stop any logging completely

-----------------

24/08/2013 12:47 79999 15295   replaced with fix -

no longing until I dropped the 1.1 exe back in

24/08/2013 13:17 79999 15295
continues to log fine until
24/08/2013 13:38 79999 15295

Closed all instances in task manager
Replaced with fixed exe

logging stops completely again.

Replaced with v1.1 
logging resumes

24/08/2013 13:42 79999 15295
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8