Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 1500 byte MTU on FTTC, possible.  (Read 21680 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: 1500 byte MTU on FTTC, possible.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »

Boost,
That post should be a 'Sticky' quick OSI 7 layer to mtu explanation. :)
Nicely done.

Question:
What is the real impact of reducing your mtu ?

Also many people use Jumbo frames, where does this fit in ?
(Add this to the post perhaps?)

TIA

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

Thanks! I think we all need to be on the same page if nothing else. I've no idea idea what the impact is but considering you can hit gigabit speeds with a 1500 byte MTU, I think shaving a few bytes off it should be OK for 80Mb :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »

ejs, some good info there, thanks. I'll have a proper squint when I'm home :D

You may know better than me but I've only seen MSS rewritten for tunnel endpoints as a last resort. Having to inspect all new TCP connections is not without it's own resource penalty. Also, what about UDP? Hello blackhole? :)

I suppose all we can do is experiment and see what works best for us! :) 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »

Like I said, I have my whole LAN set to 1480 MTU and it doesn't appear to cause any performance issues at Gigabit speeds.  Sure it will use more CPU power, but with modern hardware that is pretty negligible.

I believe it can be useful for gaming, as the more data you can send in one packet, the less latency you have.

Obviously sending the same amount of data in 1500 chunks uses less router resources than with a smaller MTU.  But if your router is running THAT close to capacity you should be upgrading it anyway as its likely your NAT performance is being impacted.

I have been using an Atom as a router for a while so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything being a resource hog.  I was sick of MIPS routers being underspecified for QoS and that if you want to look at the connection table it HAMMERS the CPU, less of the problem when you have dual-cores.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:49:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »

Since the firewall (and NAT) in a router will be keeping track of the state of all connections, so that it knows what incoming packets to accept based on if they are part of or related to an existing connection, I suppose it's not too much extra work to modify a relatively small number of packets.

Yes, the MSS altering is only applicable to TCP, it can't help with UDP. But then I'm not sure setting yourself a lower MTU is going to help if a remote server sends you a 1500 byte UDP packet.

A smaller packet size will be very slightly less efficient, since a slightly greater proportion of your bandwidth will be carrying TCP/IP headers, but the difference is so small it may be too small to reliably measure any download speed difference let alone notice it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »

its not down to the smaller packet as such but rather a non standard MTU has to be negotiated on every connection.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 07:03:55 AM »

20 byte IP header and 20 byte TCP header, overheads:

40/1500 = 2.67%
40/1480 = 2.70%

The remote server may use a lower packet size anyway, Google servers often do.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »

Well as a large percentage of users WILL be DSL customers, if that "negotiation" overhead was actually a problem it would make sense to choose something lower as standard.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

iMx

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »

Not true generally, only true for PPPoE.  PPPoA does not have the same 'problem' - this allows the full 1500.  The standard comes from ethernet, not DSL/broadband.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »

PPPoA is only really common over here and thanks to VDSL is gradually being phased out.  PPPoE is far more common worldwide.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything