Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: W7 or 8  (Read 21115 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: W7 or 8
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »

I too have not heard or read of many bugs within windows 8..?  ???

maybe because basically its just a re-skinned windows 7 with a few changes here and there rather than a complete new OS change so therefore likely to have much less bugs than that of a complete new OS like Vista was too XP

- still, the old saying goes...dont buy it until it gets its first service pack!  8)

the more programs you install...the more chances of a bug or problem occuring - in fact I have LOADS of stuff installed (101 programs installed in CP - that doesnt include stand alones) and I encountered a problem just yesterday which was Passmark Performance Test v7 and v8 freezing the system on DX testing when Privacyware's Private Firewall was running...shut it down and it ran fine...

a good article on windows changes etc that, bookmark it to show others :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Quasimoto

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:56 AM »

Lol at that list.

●  Start Menu has been removed. Here's how the Start Menu was superior to the Start Screen:
- No full-screen requirement, it doesn't disturb your workflow and gets out of the way quickly
- Had quick access to shutdown commands

Just Lol.

Alt + F4 at the desktop. All the information and news on the tiles = win.

The ability to boot directly to the desktop and not load the Metro components in memory is not there. Items in various startup locations (Registry, startup folder etc) are all loaded with a delay of few seconds with no way to load them instantly

I love this feature because I get to see all the latest news and information. Everything loads in a few seconds. Or less.

Mouse control panel option to allow or disallow themes to change mouse pointers is removed from the GUI.

I'm skimming, can you tell? but seriously? Lol

Sound events for 'Exit Windows', 'Windows Logon' and 'Windows Logoff' are removed

Such riveting stuff.

●  Chkdsk when run at startup does not display any information about file system repairs besides % complete. The screen with scanning and correction details is gone when Chkdsk runs at startup and replaced by just a % complete.

It's in the event log.

Windows DVD Maker is removed

It was utter crud. Sony Vegas \o/

Windows Briefcase

Lol?

Windows Gadget Platform is intact but no gadgets to download as the online Gadget Gallery was killed for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users as well.

Because of security exploits. It's been stated.

If only Microsoft built Windows 8 as Windows 7 + value added OS, it would have been perfect. Limiting choice, removing options and forcing their choice on us (what they call "simplifying") is Microsoft's goal with this release.

Whats the point of the release? making an OS the same as the previous.

>>> Win8 had/have significant improvements "under the hood" when compared to previous versions but the UI was (and is on Win8) garbage.
>>> Windows7 is rock solid.

I agree on both counts.  Most of the complaints about Win8 seem to be about the UI.  If people cant easily find or access what they want, then youve failed at what a GUI is supposed to be about.

You should see the Overclockers.co.uk forums. Arrow>head.
CappySpectrum

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »

maybe because basically its just a re-skinned windows 7 with a few changes here and there rather than a complete new OS change so therefore likely to have much less bugs than that of a complete new OS like Vista was too XP

- still, the old saying goes...dont buy it until it gets its first service pack!  8)

the more programs you install...the more chances of a bug or problem occuring - in fact I have LOADS of stuff installed (101 programs installed in CP - that doesnt include stand alones) and I encountered a problem just yesterday which was Passmark Performance Test v7 and v8 freezing the system on DX testing when Privacyware's Private Firewall was running...shut it down and it ran fine...

no its not just a reskinned win7.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »

no its not just a reskinned win7.

you mis-quoted me, i said its just a re-skinned windows 7 with a few changes here & there .....rather than a complete new OS change so therefore likely to have much less bugs than that of a complete new OS like Vista was too XP... which it basically is... :)

Windows XP = 5.0
Windows Vista = 6.0
Windows 7 = 6.1
Windows 8 = 6.2

the changes arent grand enough to considered a completely new operating system, its built on Vista and Win7 core - and thats what I was pointing out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:49:34 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »

I have just noticed that my post is still running.

I decided to go with W7 for my desktop but also have W8 on a new laptop. W7 is fine a good improvement on Vista.  W8 took a bit of getting used to but think I have mastered it now. 

gom
Pages: 1 [2]