Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second line & insufficient pairs  (Read 4048 times)

jjpearce05

Second line & insufficient pairs
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »

Hi,

I have ordered a second line for my property.

My incoming line is direct in ground, supplied through my neighbours property. Unfortunately there are only two pairs in this.

The openreach manhole is just outside my property.

My intention is to run some new duct through my drive (which is block paving over concrete :( ) to the edge of my property adjacent to the manhole.

I have read the openreach developers guide which implies I should use duct 56 - however a friend has suggested openreach now only use fibre duct (approx inch and half) - anyone have any views on what openreach will accept ?

The easiest route from my house to the edge of the drive would use two 90degree bends - however, i assume two 45s and a 90 would be preferable to two 90s ?

Thanks for your input !

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Second line & insufficient pairs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »

"The easiest route from my house to the edge of the drive would use two 90degree bends - however, i assume two 45s and a 90 would be preferable to two 90s ? "

In general it is the bend radius which matters rather than the angle; a tiny bend radius i.e. a sharp bend will fatigue the cable and may break it, and also may alter the cable's transmission characteristis putting a dip in the frequency response.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:07:45 PM by JGO »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »

Im assuming that the 45 degree was a typo/mistake and he perhaps meant 2 @ 135 degrees, although without knowing the exact path its hard to say

If its how Im imagining..  then  2 x 135 deg

Code: [Select]
|
 \ _

is better than 1 x 90 deg

|_

I am however puzzled at whether I understood this right

Unfortunately there are only two pairs in this.

Two pairs should be sufficient to supply the additional line?...  unless the neighbour has one of them..   or are you wishing to bypass the neighbours properly entirely?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

I am however puzzled at whether I understood this right

Unfortunately there are only two pairs in this.

Two pairs should be sufficient to supply the additional line?...  unless the neighbour has one of them..   or are you wishing to bypass the neighbours properly entirely?

My understanding is that the current service feed is two pair. That service feed is routed to the neighbour's house where one pair is used by the neighbour. The second of those two pairs is then run across the neighbours land and onto jj's property to provide his working pair.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jjpearce05

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »

Hi,

Ive seen the angles sold as 45s, thats why I called them such :)

My phone line and my neighbours phone are both supplied through the two pair cable that runs through his property - it splits in a junction box on his wall, one line to his house and one to ours.

The easiest route is

M
A
N
H --\
O   |
L.    |
E.    |
       |
       \_____
                 \
                  |
              House

This runs around the perimeter of my drive, rather than through the middle of it ( which would minimise the number of bends)

Thanks

jjpearce05

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »

Anyone have any views on the type of ducting openreach will accept - i've spoke to a couple of merchants who no longer stock duct 56 due to lack of demand in the south east

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »

Hi there.

In order to clarify things, R U saying that the original UG feed is a 2-pair, and that both you and your neighbour are using 1pr each at the moment ?? Can I then assume you are requesting for a 2nd line to be installed at your premises, hence the lack of capacity ??

If this is the case, then any shortfall is our responsibility. Upon receipt of an order and realisation of the shortfall, we will arrange for out Contractors to put in new 'duct and rope', after written consent has been sought by the affected parties. The consent form states that reinstatement will be done to the EU's satisfaction and put back as it was before, or better (or words to that effect).

I have to say in over a quarter of a century, I've rarely seen a poor reinstatement, and they have to keep returning until the jobs done right.

jjpearce05

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

In order to clarify things, R U saying that the original UG feed is a 2-pair, and that both you and your neighbour are using 1pr each at the moment ?? Can I then assume you are requesting for a 2nd line to be installed at your premises
Yes, to both questions

I installed duct 56 and yesterday openreach visited to install the line and are arranging for a short piece of footpath to be dug up to connect my duct to the BT manhole.

I was surprised to learn the BT records stop at the manhole and they have no record of cable from there to the customers house.

Jason

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »

I'm guessing your house was built in the 60/70's and records weren't kept back then, of where the cable ran from the joint to the premises. Todays records do tend to show roughly where the individual feeds are.

TBH, there is no need to really know the track of this section of cable, as it is pretty obvious where it goes to and from. Our network records are really there to catalogue the distribution of nodes from the PCP to the DP, as there are varying sizes of cables, DP's (UG and OH), and direction in which theses cables and ducts may run.

As I've stated previously though, if there is a shortfall of plant and there is a definite EU order, we are responsible for the uplift (Up to a certain costing). So with the benefit of hindsight, and for the info of others maybe reading this, you could have possibly saved yourself some digging and money ?.

PS .... have you put a draw-rope in as well, as the contractors will do this whilst they're digging in duct, especially if there are various 90 degree bends, as these can prove difficult to 'rod'. I'm sure it'll go fine, this is more of an 'info upload' again, for others reading who may face the same issue. :)   

jjpearce05

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »

Hi,

Yes, thanks I have run rope through the duct.

The digging was fun - I got to play with a road breaker  :)

Do you know how long it normally takes before the pavement is actually dug up and the last piece of duct installed ?

Jason

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »

LOL ...... age-old question, akin to string, and the length of ???

It used to be between 3-5 days to do the whole job (dig, duct & rope and reinstatement), but I really have no idea of timescales anymore ?? Obviously, it sounds like the easiest of tasks to complete, so I would hope it gets added to the contractors workloads asap ??
We have what's called a 'Tails' measure, and it is looked at at the highest levels, so my guess would be sooner rather than later, but can't add anything in which to quantify this, I'm afraid. :-\