Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Calling fibre networking experts  (Read 1577 times)

c6em

• Reg Member
Calling fibre networking experts
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »

Looks like my area is going to be missed out in the BDUK roll out based on the prelim layout maps.
Locally we are looking what needs to be done to persuade BT to enable cabinets and that may include providing some wonga.
So I'm looking at what sort of the work this would encompass apart from the actual FTTC cabinet.

Scenario:
Fibre duct runs from exchange to Cab A (100 properties) and on to Cab B(200 properties) and then other boxes beyond in nearby urbanised villages.
Cab A is being converted - Cab B for some reason is not, despite fibre running 2 feet away.
Cab C(200 properties)  is between A and B on a spur just over 500 yards away from the line joining A and B and is also not being converted.

Is it a case that seperate fibre(s) are run to each cab from the exchange or are fibres split out using fibre splitters junctions/aggregation nodes to supply each cabinet?  All depends how costly it is going to be to run the fibre to box C.  Can one put a splitter node at the road junction where there is already a BT joint box where the E side for cab C splits off the main duct run.

As to why Cab B is not being converted - I give up.

It is interesting that the only box being converted is the one closest to the exchange who already get a decent ADSL2+ service while those further away who would benefit more from an uplift are not.  The only explantion I can find is that Cab A has a high population density of housing while the other cabs' although feeding more houses in total are more spread out. So it is more likely that some properties on B and C will still not classify as superfast even with the FTTC upgrade - but all on cab A would.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Calling fibre networking experts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »

Hi c6em,

If you can PM me with an e-mail address I'll gladly send you lots of real photographs.

I'm now writing a basic description of what I have observed in sunny Surrey.

Kind regards,
Walter

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Calling fibre networking experts
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Hi again c6em,

The fibre methods used by BT in Surrey start from the exchange with quite a large fibre cable (e.g. 240 * 12) which is routed usually through existing ducts to the first aggregation point. There in a fibre "Bullet joint" a number of bundles of 12 fibres are stripped and laid out in trays fused to a much smaller number in a single fibre bundle. e.g. a four-fibre bundle. Each of these small bundles departs in an individual tube, usually part of a multi-tube cable e.g. 4, 7 .. up to 24 tube cable. For every used tube a spare empty one is left. The multi-tube cable starts off going towards the first FTTC and if convenient two or four tubes branch off the main group via a four tube cable now with two occupied and two empty spares. The first pair then go to the first FTTC and the other pair, still in a four tube bundle go to the final FTTC. Other arrangements are obviously possible depending upon the topography. The main large cable continues to the next aggregation point where more are fused to four fibre bundles in a four or 7 fibre tube cable.

The possible reasons for a PCP not being provided are probably to do with long sections with no duct space for more fibre tubes or the PCP doesn't handle sufficient D side lines.

HTH
Kind regards,
Walter

anything