Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router  (Read 57107 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »

Hi pippo and welcome.

Unfortunately I dont know the answer to your question.  Asbokid may well have been able to help, but he's away atm and we're not sure when he will be back.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »

Thank you for that info Alec.  Im interested in the wifi aspect and observations. :)

For some reason I seem to have a 'dead spot' in my lounge. Since this deadspot is also the location of the TV, it proved troublesome for the media-system which wouldnt work well with wifi until I got the TG582n.  I dont have the Media System any more, but I do have a smart TV currently connected to a PN TG582n which is used for streaming.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

pippo0312

• Just arrived
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »

Hi pippo and welcome.

Unfortunately I dont know the answer to your question.  Asbokid may well have been able to help, but he's away atm and we're not sure when he will be back.

Hello Kitz!

At the moment I am fine using the IPQoS=sc0 option in linux even it is just a workaround.

I have done some further investigations...
I tried to change some QoS setting in the router with the CLI interface, but so far I didn't succeed to solve the problem.

I am starting to think that the problem is caused by some bug in the firmware, which somehow does not recognize the QoS for DSCP IP packets, and it cannot be simply solved by tuning the configuration.

Indeed the linux scp/ssh commands use by default the DSCP classes "lowdelay" and “throughput”: it looks like the router is giving a very low priority to those DSCP classes, causing transfer timeouts.

Can somebody expert of windows tell me how the IP packets are classified in terms of QoS by programs like winscp ?

Thanks again for any help!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »

Right, I've discovered that this router (similarly to the TG582N) doesn't handle fluctuating SNRM well. When the SNRM dropped from 6 to 3dB, the connection was so slow web pages wouldn't load. I restarted the router and this rectified the problem, but resulted in a much lower speed.

It's worth mentioning that a BT Home Hub 3 handled fluctuating SNRM much better and the internet remained working even whenever the SNRM dropped to 1dB.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

Indeed the linux scp/ssh commands use by default the DSCP classes "lowdelay" and “throughput”: it looks like the router is giving a very low priority to those DSCP classes, causing transfer timeouts.

Can somebody expert of windows tell me how the IP packets are classified in terms of QoS by programs like winscp ?

Those that have this router so far either seem to be Linux or Mac users.

I could attempt to capture some packets for you from a Windows machine, but I dont use WinSCP due to not having anywhere that I need to use scp/ssh.
I use Filezilla for FTP, but no doubt this would have a different ToS and not much use to you.
-----

garym

• Just arrived
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »

Hi.
Is anyone using one of these as a FTTC modem/router?
I'd just like to confirm that QOS is configured to work in this configuration, maybe by running the cli command "ipqos queue stats" and seeing if there are any packet counts against the rules.

I've been playing around with a TG582N with plusnet FTTC firmware which doesn't seem to have QOS enabled when connecting through PPPoE on the WAN port.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

Just an update: my TG589 will shortly be leaving me. I am not happy with its performance (both ADSL and WiFi are poor) and I have gone back to the HH3.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »

I picked up cheap an ex ZEN one of these on ebay.  I notice that it has an xdsl maxspeed rx=...  tx=... command but it seems to have no effect at all on vdsl.   A google finds the same issue with adsl lines but command not working on adsl would seem consistent with the equivalent command on other broadcom modem also not working on adsl but just vdsl.  I tried giving rx and tx  as rate in bytes, kilo bytes, and megabytes in case it was just a format issue but the command is just accepted with no action or complaint when I use it.  Maybe some subtle extra prod is needed?

Has anyone got this command to work on FTTC and if not please might someone using one try the command?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

How's the performance, les-70?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »

It is not in use at the moment but the modem performance was similar to a HG612 when it was tried.  The wireless was OK but not brilliant, and for me the main annoyance is the odd GUI and lack of full stats over telnet.  I would like to cap the sync speed to test it with exactly the same sync as I normally cap to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything