Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router  (Read 57026 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »

Supports both ADSL/ADSL2+ and VDSL2 lines such as BT Infinity 1 & 2

No separate modem required!  VDSL2 compliance  Up to 17 MHz profiles (POTS/ISDN) £57.78 from Broadband Buyer

Full specs:- linky.

Disappointingly let down by 4x 10/100 LAN ports.
I find it ironic that theoretical speeds on WiFi could be faster than ethernet.  ???

Plus point is that at long last we are seeing a more affordable combined FTTC unit in the market place.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:33:22 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Thomson TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »

Hopefully, as it's Technicolor, it will be a Broadcom chipset too?

Otherwise, not dissimilar in spec to the HG622?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

Hopefully, as the v2 was a BCM6368.   

o0ooooooooooo  Just done a search and cant find anything specific on the chipset model for the v3, BUT I did find this
Looks like Plusnet may be trialling/about to trial them? !!!! ?

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   BDCM / IFTN
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

One of the BroadbandBuyer reviewers said that it has the same telnet menu as other Technicolor routers. If this is the case then DSLstats ought to work with it. If someone buys me one I'll check it out. :)
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

So, the same as both the HG612 & the HG622.  Eric & Paul will be glad to hear that. :( I bet Eric will add it to his list of routers by the end of the day!

Performance will come down to the firmware then.  e.g. I find that a straight swap-out of the HG612 for the HG622 on my line (i.e. in bridged mode as simply a modem; no WiFi, routing, PPP or anything else), results in a 25% increase in interleaving depth with a corresponding 5Mb/s reduction in attainable rates.

Not a problem ATM, but could be decisive if my attainable started to decline closer to the product max.

Off to read more detail around the threads you posted (thank you), but at first reading, some of these were provided by a member of PN staff with spares, and it seems it is probably running the 10.n firmware.  (You can get the 10.2.5.2 firmware for your current TG582N from PN now, and get some of the functional benefits).  :)

PS: Beat me to it Eric!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:52:16 PM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

Seems to be an old photo on BroadbandBuyer, as it doesn't have the additional RED WAN port next to the DSL one, and ...

(Especially for Kitz) from the manual - "Ethernet port 4 is a Gigabit Ethernet port and has a maximum speed of 1 Gbps (Gigabit per second). The other Ethernet ports have a maximum speed of 100Mbps (Megabit per second)."

[CORRECTION] Although this was the manual provided via the link from PN, on closer inspection (should've gone to specsavers!) it says TG587Nv3 :(  Interestingly enough I have the v2 lying about somewhere....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:25:11 PM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

I've just had a thought:

Why don't we crowd-source the purchase of two of these to allow the two authors of our stats programs, Bald_Eagle_1 and Roseway, to test them out for the Forum.  I for one think they've more than deserved it, and offer the first £5 for each of them.  All we need is another ~11 of us to offer likewise.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »

That's a very generous suggestion Colin. I'll happily test one, but I couldn't accept it as a gift. I'll put £10 in the community pot, and I suggest that one should go to Kitz after testing.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »

Well, whatever way works for everybody.  My offer still stands.  Perhaps Kitz could co-ordinate the monies & the purchase via the Community pot?

Barrie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

You've got £5 from me - how to I put it into the pot?

Barrie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »

Thanks, Barrie.

Before we take this any further though, as this is a Technicolor router it probably doesn't have a 'conventional' Broadcom telnet interface. If I'm right I think that would mean that HG612 Modem Stats won't work with it (unless BE1 says otherwise). DSLstats should work in its Thomson mode i.e. all the main features work, but not some of the more advanced features.

So I don't think there's a purpose in buying two, but one could still find a good home.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »

So I don't think there's a purpose in buying two, but one could still find a good home.
Well, let's see what BE has to say, but there would be merit in checking out both ADSL&VDSL, as well as long lines etc.

And I'm sure Asbo could probably do interesting things with one of them if it was passed on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:03:57 PM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »

>>>  as this is a Technicolor router it probably doesn't have a 'conventional' Broadcom telnet interface.

That is my fear too.  Its going to be hard getting BE's scripts working on them.  However at this moment in time, I cant see any reason why with a bit of tweaking that DSLstats shouldnt be able to provide decent graphing tools for VDSL. 

As such I'm willing to chip £5 into the pot for one for Eric to work with.  However..  with both me and Bald Eagle being PN customers... lets see if we can get our names added to the list.

---
Edited to add

Ive taken the liberty of adding Paul & I to the list.... I'll also do the PM in a mo.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:14:24 PM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Technicolor TG589vn v3 for VDSL2
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

I've been contacted by a user of DSLstats in Italy to tell me that his ISP (Fastweb) is issuing this modem/router for their new VDSL2 service. I see that it's available in the UK from Broadbandbuyer: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=16234 . It appears to be Broadcom based, because its telnet interface is exactly the same as TG582n. In the same way, it probably doesn't provide access to the Broadcom CLI, unfortunately.

I'd like to support it in DSLstats, but without access to the Broadcom CLI, that support is going to be limited. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has tried this model.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:56:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Technicolor TG589vn v3 for VDSL2
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »

Eric,

Is this not the same one Kitz flagged up as being on trial on PN?  Here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12827.msg242500.html#msg242500

If so, I think she added her name to a very long list of people interested in trying it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4