Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Closure of Digital Region  (Read 27465 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Closure of Digital Region
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:44 PM »

Now that the closure of Digital Region has been announced, I am wondering what options there are available to the current users of the service.  :(

UncleUB, I know that you will be affected. Have you been provided with any information?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Closure of Digital Region
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »

I thought this was sufficiently important to move it to the news section.

I fear that for many, including UncleUB, the only "alternative network" is a very long line to the nearest exchange. :(
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »

Thank you, Eric:)

I fear that for many, including UncleUB, the only "alternative network" is a very long line to the nearest exchange. :(

That would be a very disappointing, retrograde step.  :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

This is a sad state, although unfortunately not totally unexpected  :'(

I think we are back to the unfortunate situation whereby just how costly it can be not just to set up FTTx, but also the maintenance and ongoing costs.  B4RN (and other community projects) work because people have given time and man power for free, nor have they had to pay access rights that normally Telcos would have to fork out during installation. 

I could say a heck of a lot more on this subject..  an awful lot more about the economics of fibre...  but since Im off out in a mo...  you have been spared  ;D

To me an ideal solution (rose tinted glasses time) would be if somehow BT could somehow integrate what is there already, into their existing network.   It seems such a waste abandoning all that fibre :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

What is it was it, ISP ? for fibre ?.
Was it just for Yorkshire, I thought 'Kcom' did that area or is that just hull ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »

What is it was it, ISP ? for fibre ?.
Was it just for Yorkshire, I thought 'Kcom' did that area or is that just hull ?.

A FTTC / VDSL2 service provided to users in South Yorkshire.

Yes, KCOM just cover the Kingston upon Hull area.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »

@ Kitz,

Several of us know there could be a lot more said on this challenging subject !
One small point re B4RN.
Yes, there are some highly dedicated folk, and whole families, working on their project many of whom are unpaid volunteers, but those investing serious resources such as providing labour, excavators and the diesel for them are paid in shares - NOT cash.

They are certainly learning fast and in the latest section they have just blown almost 5 km of fibre in a day without a hitch including one blow of 1880 m !!

This must be near the performance of some experts we might mention (especially when the ducts are jammed or broken) !

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:46:54 AM »

Good morning all  :)

Yes DR has finally closed,tbh its not a surprise its been on the cards for a few months.I'm with Origin Broadband and as far as they are concerned its business as usual.They have said they have plans in place to carry on.At this moment in time we are not sure what those plans are.
This is my only option to get a fibre connection as BT has no plans to upgrade my exchange (Attercliffe) to FTTC and there is no Virgin cable in my area.I desperately hope something can be sorted or its back to ADSL for me and 2mb(If I'm lucky) connection  :(

DR covers all of South Yorkshire but from the off the publicity has been poor,lack of advertising,even now many people have never heard of DR or the isp's who are under its wing..Origin(who are a small expanding company with excellent people at the helm who will go that extra mile to help you).There was Little Big One which has now been taken over by Chess Broadband and also Ask4,(their main business comes from supplying fibre to student apartment blocks.)

At present I pay £17.50 a month for a 24mb down/10mb up connection,in real terms I get roughly 23mb down and around 8.5mb up so very happy with that.I am 12 months into an 18 month contract so hopefully something will be decided before that expires.
I will keep this thread updated as soon as I have more info to add.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »

Off the cuff, is this a possible alternative hub system for a rural system ? :=

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/august2013/radio_hams_83_km_red_led_daylight_dx.htm

I don't know what the all-weather range would be but would it be suitable in a scattered village ? You wouldn't need 83 km !

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »

Well the word on the DR forum is that origin are going to keep going using BT's network so I'm guessing those of us whose only option to get fibre was via DR will be up the creek without a paddle,back to ADSL  :cry2:

At present though its business as usual so will just sit tight and wait.

Not much in the way of LLU available from my exchange...Talktalk  :scare: And Sky.Regarding Sky,is it compulsory to take their line rental if you want their broadband,because if it is then I shall rule them out.I want to keep my line rental with BT.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

>> At present though its business as usual so will just sit tight and wait.

I really hope that someone can pull something out of the hat on this one. 
It seems ironic in the case of exchanges like UB's which are so close to a major UK city.  One of the things that comes to mind is that because this region is currently provisioned by the likes of DR...  then to the likes BT its not a priority when there is already competition in the area. 

The fibre is already there and laid, so to my thinking is that if BT could perhaps merge this with their existing network.  They may want to install their own cabs, but unless someone else can come up with a shed load of cash they would be my best hope.   If BT do take it over then they may have the clout to advertise and market the product properly where DR failed.   

Please do keep us informed UB if you hear anything else.   Im sure that we all on here feel for you &  hope that a solution can be found.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »

@ Kitz & Uncy,

Hear hear !

If there is any vestige of public service remaining within BT, surely the solution should be to leave the installed kit in situ with a firm offered advantageous terms to maintain it, perhaps linked into PlusNets' services who can't be a million miles away ?

Kind reagrds,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »

People have been coming along and suggesting the likes of Zen,Xilo,Aquiss,IDnet..yes they are excellent isp's but I'm not prepared to pay around £20 for what will be a sub 2mb connection which will only be fit for general internet browsing and not much else.
I have written to my MP about this but am still awaiting his reply.I did this about 18 months ago and didn't get anywhere,he contacted BT who just basically said no plans at in the near future to upgrade my exchange.
Other exchanges not on their to do list is Sheffield central and Meadowhall,so you have from the M1 junction into the city..Meadowhall..Attercliffe and Sheffield Central..all with no plans to upgrade to fibre..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

>> perhaps linked into PlusNets' services who can't be a million miles away

Ironically their Head Office used to be right off the Attercliffe Road.  Ive stayed a few times at the Attercliffe Premier Inn/Lodge which was right across the street.  Its hardly a rural area and should in theory pick up quite a lot of both business & home users.  In fact because of the business in that area I would have thought it would be one of DRs more profitable locations.   Obviously I dont know their DR's logistics, but I suppose that if BT do pick up the tab it will have to be the whole lot and cant pick and choose which parts to take.  Even if a solution isnt found for DR... then I would hope that BT would re-classify that particular area as viable anyway.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

Our posts crossed

>>> Meadowhall..Attercliffe and Sheffield Central.

Didnt realise it covered Sheffield Central too without plans for fttc.   Doesnt make sense UB to leave that whole stretch of road..   Theres a large amount of businesses who are going to find themselves with pee-poor connections.   As mentioned above this surely has to be one of the most profitable areas for someone to pick up the tab for.

-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything