Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello, my name is Andrew and I'm a politician  (Read 3936 times)

AndyPPUK

Hello, my name is Andrew and I'm a politician
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »

Well, that's the worst part of it out of the way in the title.

I was part of the team that set up the Pirate Party UK, a small but growing party that is known for speaking out about copyright, surveillance, privacy, government openness and technology issues (although we do a lot of other stuff too, that's what seems to get us media coverage). I was the party leader and parliamentary candidate for Worcester during the last general election, and I'm now our spokesman on Culture, Media and Sport.

The reason I've signed up here is that I'm trying to get to grips with what's gone wrong (and right) with the BDUK process. This isn't a simple issue with a simple solution, and it's obvious to me that I'm going to need a LOT of technical knowledge to speak about this with any authority. I don't expect you folks to agree with me or vote for me, but I might at least be able to scare some other politicians into learning about this stuff too, which should be a win all round.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Hello, my name is Andrew and I'm a politician
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »

Hi and welcome Andy :)

There's quite a few knowledgeables who frequent here, be it hobbyists or working in the industry. 
We do on occasions have some interesting discussions on the forums where knowledge from various sectors meet and we all learn from whats been said.

As regards to BDUK, Walter is a very good source of & collating information on this topic, if you havent already come across him that is :)   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AndyPPUK

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »

Thanks for the polite welcome - anything that doesn't involve flying eggs is a win!

I'm currently digging through the forums and reading ever thread that mentions BDUK, and Walter is one of a long list of people round here who clearly really know their stuff!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »

^-^ Andy and welcome. We do our best to be friendly with one and all . . . including politicians.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay :).

I hope you don't mind the cats. We have many.