Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Telephone Extension  (Read 3441 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
Telephone Extension
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »

2 quick simple questions (I hope!) :

1) I have a (post 2007) NTE master OR socket downstairs and an extension upstairs wired into the front faceplate of the NTE.  If I plug my router (ADSL) into the extension, providing my internal wiring is of a good standard (within last 12 months so should be v.v.v. good!) will it work and will I have any significant (>20%) drop in connection speed?

2)  If I upgrade to FTTC and end up with a modem + router, can this also be plugged into the extension or will it have to be at the master socket?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Telephone Extension
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »

1) Assuming that the faceplate on the NTE isn't a filtered one (i.e. it only has a single telephone socket on the front) then your router should work perfectly well from the extension, so long as the wiring really is of a good standard, using twisted-pair cable.

2) Is for someone else to answer. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

>> If I upgrade to FTTC and end up with a modem + router, can this also be plugged into the extension or will it have to be at the master socket?

Depends how its wired up.   Strictly speaking the modem should be plugged in to the master socket with VDSL and BToR will install an i-plate type filter.   Up to 30m of data cable can be used to run from another location.     If its not practical to run from the existing NTE location and if you get a BToR engineer he will often shift the NTE for you FoC.   You must request a Home Wiring Solution at the time you place your order. 

Alternatively theres nothing much stopping you removing the vdsl i-plate after the engineer has been  and going back to your original layout of using adsl splitters.  Not really recommended though as it depends on the quality of your extension cable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »

Thanks all - pretty much as I expected!

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:44:39 AM »

The VDSL SSFP that Openreach install on top of your NTE5A has AB IDC terminals for you to run an unfiltered extension from. I'd consider making your extension an RJ45 socket to connect your modem to directly and make sure you've used cable of at least CW1308 spec (CAT5 is very good but the thickness may put you off).

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »

Well!  I took the plunge........  BT Infinity 2 - 40/10 profile...........

Dear old Beattie Engineers......  Do they ever listen to instructions??  Original ADSL was on an extension as above, On arrival OH politely requested that the VDSL SSFP and modem and HH be installed at the master socket.  What does he do???  Install the VDSL SSFP and modem and HH at the extension................!!!!!!!!

Oh well we're not all perfect BUT!  Sorted it now by putting the VDSL SSFP on the master and connecting the extension using the terminals 2 & 5 on the filter part of the SSFP to the original extension.  All works perfectly.  (Incidentally I haven't used the in-line filter for the telephone plugged into the extension as I figured it would already be filtered by the faceplate on the SSFP - correct me if I'm wrong please!)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

(Incidentally I haven't used the in-line filter for the telephone plugged into the extension as I figured it would already be filtered by the faceplate on the SSFP - correct me if I'm wrong please!)

Purrfect.  :)  No correction is required.  :no: 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »

Hang on... Are you saying that your extension is also an NTE5A master linebox (which it would have to be in order to install a VDSL SSFP on top of)?

Edit: for information purposes only  ;) , the surge suppressor component in NTE5As has been known to knock a Meg or two off VDSL sync speeds, and the newest NTE5As don't have them any more. Neither do older ones where they have fallen been cut out...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:28:50 PM by neilius »

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »

Extension was (briefly!) a NTE5A master linebox (courtesy of dear old Mr Beattie..............) but is now a standard secondary LJU.......

He replaced the LJU at my extension with a new NTE5 (despite there being one also at the 'master' socket location) and then installed the VDSL SSFP over the top!

Thanks again for all your help!

anything