Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Femtocells  (Read 3647 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Femtocells
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:12:33 AM »

Does anyone have/use one ?.
We get no mobile signal around our village   :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/07/femtocells/
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Femtocells
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »

No, but it looks interesting, as mobile phone signals are very poor where I live (barely usable to unusable, depending on the operator).
  Eric

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »

About 18 months ago we tried to get one of the vodafone products to work with no luck. At that time even their technical support was unable to help with setting it up or why I wouldn't work.

Hopefully things have changed.

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »

No personal experience...  but I do know that for years Vodafone have used this technology to provide signals for inside corporate office buildings.  eg the large city type office blocks which had mirrored windows or dead spots where the normal signal couldnt reach.   AIUI they would (or used to) provide the equipment FoC if there were sufficient people in the workplace.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

About 18 months ago we tried to get one of the vodafone products to work with no luck. At that time even their technical support was unable to help with setting it up or why I wouldn't work.

Hopefully things have changed.
How did you get it, did you have to buy it or was it FOC ?

-------------------------------------------------------------
I would think they use something similar on the 'Underground'  :hmm:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:28:01 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »

>>> I would think they use something similar on the 'Underground'

I dont think so, I'm a bit too tired now to start looking, but I wouldnt have thought that Femtocell would work in that environment. 
AIUI Femtocell relies on a internet connection and a sufficiently good internet connection to carry the data over.   It works ok in say a business environment that can afford to give some of their internet bandwidth to this technology.   Its not really designed as an all and sundry open network for more than x number of persons.

Off the top of my head I would have thought it would be easier to put in a base station hooked directly up to their network...  or relay for UG stations.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »

I believe that the London Underground has what is known as a 'leaky feeder' system installed to provide the mobile telephone service signals within its own environment.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »

How did you get it, did you have to buy it or was it FOC ?

A rather worried salesman brought it in cause he was about to lose a mobile phone contract  ??? Other than that I don't know sorry.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »

I believe that the London Underground has what is known as a 'leaky feeder' system installed to provide the mobile telephone service signals within its own environment.
That's ringing a few bells now in my two brain cells I have left  ;D