Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FAO BE: Modem Stats  (Read 3851 times)

mikehiow

FAO BE: Modem Stats
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »

I need to move my modem stats install to another machine - can I just move it and let the settings app recreate all my scheduled tasks again? Will it run in Server 2012?

mikehiow

Re: FAO BE: Modem Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »

Got it running, although had to change the task from the VB Script to running the exe directly and setting the 'start in' option appropriately.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is schedule graphpd - can you pass the time as an argument?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

One thing I'd like to be able to do is schedule graphpd - can you pass the time as an argument?

How often would you like the schedule to run?
You can get Task Scheduler to do that.

By passing the time as an argument, do you mean something like 1 hour, 30 minutes etc?

You could set up a scheduled task to run the attached example batch file, editing the paths to graphpd.exe & modem_stats.log to suit your particular system, if that's what you meant.

The example will create timestamped subfolders each time the scheduled task runs, graphing the latest 30 minutes (which you could edit to any period you wish).

mikehiow

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »

That's exactly what I needed, so it's

graphpd.exe <path> <timeint> <unit of time>

I guessed and simply tried for example graphpd.exe 12h.

Any idea why the VB Script wouldn't work in Server 2012? Perhaps it's worth updating so it creates the task to run the exe directly with the 'Start In' option set to the correct path, instead.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:08:27 AM »

I see you are still using the original release version 1.0

version 1.1 operates a little differently.

v 1.1 works with Server 2011, so I guess it would also work with Server 2012.

Task To Run:                          "C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts\HG612_Run.exe"

If you decided to use v 1.1 you would extract all the files & their folders to the relevant folders, allowing overwriting of existing files.

Your existing snapshot & ongoing logs should remain intact, but it's always wise to back them up - just in case.......

As the ini file is overwritten you would need to delete the existing task via the Settings Editor's "Tasks" menu & create a new one to ensure any changes are picked up - also via the "Tasks" menu.

Unfortunately, you would also have to check/amend folder locations & all other settings etc. (unless you are using default folder names & locations).

v 1.1 works a little more efficiently & reliably than v 1.0, especially with large modem_stats.log files, providing a couple of extra ongoing graphs & a bit more detail in the Bitloading graph in the snapshot montage (connection up time & total bits loaded in DS, US & 'Shared' tones etc.).

However, there's no real NEED to upgrade to v 1.1 if you are perfectly happy with how v 1.0 is running.

mikehiow

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »

Where do I find 1.1? I don't remember where I got this one - it might have been off that hg612unlocking blog.

Do you mean WHS 2011? That is basically Windows 7 isn't it? So no surprise there. I think perhaps the difference is Server 2012 is on the same base as Windows 8. The task created just fine, and seemed to be running but there was no output, I don't know if it perhaps didn't like the VB Script? Like I say, though - didn't take much to get it working!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:12:36 AM by mikehiow »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »

Where do I find 1.1? I don't remember where I got this one - it might have been off that hg612unlocking blog.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html

Do you mean WHS 2011? That is basically Windows 7 isn't it? So no surprise there. I think perhaps the difference is Server 2012 is on the same base as Windows 8. The task created just fine, and seemed to be running but there was no output, I don't know if it perhaps didn't like the VB Script? Like I say, though - didn't take much to get it working!

Yes. I meant WHS 2011.

1.1 does work with Windows 8 - to a fashion.

However, there does seem to be an issue with Windows 8's Task Scheduler in that it seems to stop working properly after a few hours or days.

That's why 1.1 doesn't use the VBS & uses the exe HG612_Run.exe as a workaround instead.

Not having access to a Windows 8 system, I'm not sure how long your method will keep working for v 1.0 or how long v 1.1 will work on Windows 8 or Server 2012.

mikehiow

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

Heh, it stopped logging around 1am last night so I don't think the VB Script is to blame.

Is RDP access to a win2012 server any good to you? That is if you have any interest in solving the issue?

mikehiow

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »

I was just playing with the task and I don't think it had registered in the task manager properly, there was no reoccurrence and when I ticked the box to recoour it was every 1 second for a period of a day.

As a test I've changed it to every 1 second indefinitely as well as setting the main time to once a day instead of just once.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »

I was just playing with the task and I don't think it had registered in the task manager properly, there was no reoccurrence and when I ticked the box to recoour it was every 1 second for a period of a day.

As a test I've changed it to every 1 second indefinitely as well as setting the main time to once a day instead of just once.

FWIW, this is the Task info as obtained via the "Tasks" menu for my Windows 7 system:-

Folder: \
HostName:                             PAUL-PC
TaskName:                             \HG612 Stats Program
Next Run Time:                        08/08/2013 12:25:00
Logon Mode:                           Interactive/Background
Last Run Time:                        08/08/2013 12:23:59
Last Result:                          0
Author:                               Paul
Task To Run:                          "C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts\HG612_Run.exe"
Start In:                             N/A
Comment:                              N/A
Scheduled Task State:                 Enabled
Idle Time:                            Disabled
Power Management:                     Stop On Battery Mode, No Start On Batteries
Run As User:                          Paul-PC\Paul
Delete Task If Not Rescheduled:       Enabled
Stop Task If Runs X Hours and X Mins: 72:00:00
Schedule:                             Scheduling data is not available in this format.
Schedule Type:                        One Time Only, Minute
Start Time:                           23:27:00
Start Date:                           01/08/2013
End Date:                             N/A
Days:                                 N/A
Months:                               N/A
Repeat: Every:                        0 Hour(s), 1 Minute(s)
Repeat: Until: Time:                  None
Repeat: Until: Duration:              Disabled
Repeat: Stop If Still Running:        Disabled

Tasks are created slightly differently for XP, Vista, W7 & WHS 2011.

If you need more detail on that, RONSKI who wrote the Settings Editor could provide a more detailed explanation.

RONSKI occasionally frequents this forum & the TBB forum & I believe another TBB forum user has experimented with Windows 8 task settings.

anything