Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Maintenance and 'always-on' Broadband  (Read 12843 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Maintenance and 'always-on' Broadband
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »

All contractors vans have to be liveried that they are 'Working on behalf of BTOR'.  But, the larger sign-writing will be advertising their own name. If the van is purely Openreach liveried, it will be a an actual Openreach employee.  :)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »

Thanks for the clarification BS, and the guy turned up with an OR liveried wagon.

His beef was that he was being given lots of jobs which he could not "complete" so was not earning "points". He said he had just come from a job where he was expected to reconnect a subscriber who had lots of building work done. The subscriber was fed by overhead wires. However the building work meant that the only new way to enter the house was about 2 metres further from where the connection into the house had been made previously. He therefore could not do a simple reconnection because the existing overhead wire was too short, and he was not qualified to run new overhead cable. He also told me about the geographic area he covered - I won't provide details as it might identify the guy. Suffice it to say he was covering a very very large area in the Home Counties. He said he was therefore spending lots of time travelling for which he did not get paid.

That's why I wondered at the time whether he might be a sub contractor rather than an OR employee.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »

He sounds like one of the new guys taken on within the last couple of years. Their contact sees them travelling for up to 2hrs from their base, all unpaid. But, they are bone-fide Openreach engineers.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »

All contractors vans have to be liveried that they are 'Working on behalf of BTOR'.  But, the larger sign-writing will be advertising their own name. If the van is purely Openreach liveried, it will be a an actual Openreach employee.  :)

The guy who turned up at mine arrived in a white van with a very prominent Openreach logo.   Closer inspection showed something like MJ Quinn contractor for....  just above the Openreach and BT livery.     I could be wrong, but I didnt see any larger sign advertising their own name.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything