Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DIY Rural Broadband,FTTH  (Read 3168 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
DIY Rural Broadband,FTTH
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »

DIY Rural Broadband .
I would only consider FTTH / FTTP  Fibre To The Home / Fibre To The Property only because FTTC Fibre To The Cabinet is a waste of time as you relie on the Copper wire for up to the last mile which will throttle the through put.
The way modern technology is going we will need High upload and download of 1Gbs or more (Each way !).
-----------------------------
With no upgrading of our internet D/U speeds until maybe  2015 or later :'(  or never, I want to look in to getting faster broadband to our village and maybe the surrounding area   :'(.
Being inspired by the B4RN (www.b4rn.org.uk ) and other projects.

I remember a few years ago Fibre was being installed about a Mile from our village, asking one of the workmen where it was going all he knew was it was coming from the nearby Derby City to another local Town but not our village.  :o

Question 1.. How Do I Find Out Who Owns That Fibre ?.

2.. Can anyone give me a good step by step approach to getting fibre into our village, Do I contact B4RN ?.

3..On this Video at about 1.30 mins in  he talks about how he gets fibre into his home (he lives in a small village in Suffolk with fibre nearby like we do !)   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVlarBXGDk
He talks about getting the local guys to connect it up   How ?
He also talks about putting it in the local ducts himself, Can anyone do that ? or do you need some permission ?
Maybe I should email him ?  ;).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:30:53 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: DIY Rural Broadband
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »

Best of luck to you.
Oxfordshire released the proposed intervention areas last week and I am in an area/village of about 600 where there is no intention to do anything at all - presumably ever.
At least I suppose it avoids me having to make a personal decison anytime in the next 5/10 years as to whether the higher price of FTTC is justifyable.

As to the video....

/Rant mode on:
He's a nutcase and agent-provateur in my opinion.
He is also exBT chief of research gone native now running publicity/consultant services for vested interest camps so far as I can make out.
So fundamentally he can do whatever he likes because of his ex-position at BT
If you or me started lifting BT manholes and started just using their ducts for our own fibre we would end up in court prosecuted so fast that the ground would not touch our feet.
He so annoys me that i've no intention of watching the entire video but I expect there is a lot of PR bluster and being economical with the facts in it. "We just did this" and "We did that" sort of thing.

He believes (or alternatively is be paid to state this) that FTTC is the greatest disaster of an infrastructure project ever in the UK and instead we should be putting in FTTP to every house and business in the UK.  I've no idea who he thinks is going to pay for all of this nor how long such a gargantuan project might be expected to take before Little Snoring on the Wolds get its fibre
/Rant mode Off

I'd avoid him and contact B4RN.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: DIY Rural Broadband,FTTH
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Points Noted  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: DIY Rural Broadband,FTTH
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »

Ditto.  The very best of luck to you.  :)

It never ceases to amaze me that there is are some villages still without street lights that feel that gigabit broadband is a more pressing necessity.  Perhaps they think that the fibre optics will glow in the dark, so that's another saving for the business plan. ;D

On a more serious note, while choosing your prefered FTTx model, you might want to study closely the chart in this link http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine/the-numbers-are-in-vectoring-2-0-makes-g-fast-faster/ which provides a cost comparison - capex, and installation for the various deployment models, and so an idea of the investment in time and money required to deploy.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: DIY Rural Broadband
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »

If you or me started lifting BT manholes and started just using their ducts for our own fibre we would end up in court prosecuted so fast that the ground would not touch our feet.

Found this      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/23/bt_ofcom/       interesting. :hmm: