Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Leaving O2, long line, high sync.  (Read 4610 times)

gsf650sa

Leaving O2, long line, high sync.
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »

Visited this site many times over the years, however, in need of advice, do to my long line and good sync.  On O2 LLU, provision is on ADSL1, its all underground, had a fault with the actual test socket box 2 yrs ago that caused 100+ resyncs per day, 2wks after BTOR replaced it and went str8 back to normal, O2 put me on ADSL1 to stabilise!!!!!. Longest sync was 63 days on ADSL2+. FWIW 2wks ago it did sync at 6022 for two days. On ADSL1 !!!!

I am not going to go with SKY at all, so can PlusNet be OK?  Went with O2 in 2007 to get off the MadMax profile system, although I know its better now.  Phone is with BT 29yrs. Stats as of yesterday then resynced.  Main concern is getting a fault sorted when 'estimate'  is only 2meg. As "your line is only capable of 2meg".  Any advice greatly recieved.

Uptime:   10 days, 7:40:00
DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode:   Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,163 / 6,299
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   969 / 5,780
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31.5 / 55.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 4.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):      28 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   12 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   4,169 / 112,527,169
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   4,169 / 3,079
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   1,497 / 2,228

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Leaving O2, long line, high sync.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

Hi, and welcome to Kitz  :)

As you are currently on ADSL1, I would think that just about anything else could better that!  It looks as if your service is ~6.4DS/1US Mb/s, and despite feeling that you have a long line, you are actually achieving ~92% of max sync rate on ADSL1. Your DS attentuation figure of 31.5dB is very similar to what I had when on ADSL with BE.  In fact I achieved ~14Mb/s DS with them on ADSL2+.  So, even on that your should achieve a significant increase in speeds, and if FTTC is an option and you can afford it, it DS speeds could increase by an order of magnitude. I suggest you put your telephone number into the number checker on PN or BT and see what it can offer you.  You have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.  Good luck! :)
[Edit] I misread the US attenuation instead of the DS, so what I originally said was completely wrong. Sorry. :(
Note to self - should've gone to specsavers!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:07:01 PM by ColinS »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »

Your DS attentuation figure of 31.5dB is
Actually 55dB  ;)
So 4mbps is all that can reasonably be expected on ADSL anything (2+ is no better than 1)

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »

Sorry, misread it.  You are of course correct.  Sorry for the confusion caused.  :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:07:31 PM by ColinS »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

Sorry, misread it.
Easily done.  8)

Of course what has been done (capped to ADSL1 frequencies) is eminently sensible on that line, so the only real hope of any improvement is fibre of some sort.  :(

The only potential problem I can see from moving is that the upstream will almost inevitably be capped at a lower speed.
On the other hand, if it's put on "genuine" ADSL1 on BT kit there may be a bit of extra bandwidth for downstream.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:57:51 PM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »

Hi and welcome.  :)

I too defected from BE* a couple of weeks ago due to not wanting to go sky.  Similar to you I went to Be* about 6yrs ago because of the BTw DLM.

Ive gone Plusnet and I have a troublesome line fault, but so far PN have been good and keep rejecting it back to BT.  Ive found that they understand the SNRm graphs Ive sent in and have no complaints with what theyve done, but we shall see if I get my fault fixed..  I think its more a case of getting someone at BToR to take it seriously atm. 

If you dont have any joy with the ticket system, theres always the forum, but I havent needed to do this so far as all my tickets have been answered satisfactory, although you may have to wait for answers over the weekend.   Put it this way..  Im glad I didnt go BT, TT because Im sure by now I'd be tearing my hair out.

I'd keep a record of your O2 line stats as proof that you can sync at higher rates.. just in case its needed.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gsf650sa

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »

Hi and welcome.  :)
Im glad I didnt go BT, TT because Im sure by now I'd be tearing my hair out.

I'd keep a record of your O2 line stats as proof that you can sync at higher rates.. just in case its needed.
Thanks for all replies. The speed checkers all say 2meg, when I was on BT before they used to say 4meg, but guess after moving to O2 BTW site just reverts back actual line length for estimate. actual length 4.1km!

Have plenty of screenshots if need be, tear my hair out now with the odd billing issues with BT.  May move phone to PN as well.  Thank you all.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »

>>> but guess after moving to O2 BTW site just reverts back actual line length for estimate.

I think its based on a mix of distance & an average of what current BTw based customers are getting in your area. They also always seem to err on the side of caution.

My BTw adsl2+ estimate was 17 Mbps, yet on Be I was getting 21Mbps Annex_M or 24Mbps if I switched to adsl2+. 

I think the only thing to watch out for is the BTw DLM, but it isnt as bad as it was years ago.   Ive had quite a lot of resyncs due to my current line fault and -touch wood- so far its left me alone  :fingers:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gsf650sa

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »

I think the only thing to watch out for is the BTw DLM, but it isnt as bad as it was years ago.   
I got a UPS this week in readiness for any move.  It was only mains power failures that upset things on BT's DLM before, those 1/2 second cuts of power when we get about 10 per hour for a few hours.  At least I will be able to softly power down router if I got a long cut.  When last on BT was at 42 days sync then all the power glitches, and profile never went above 1100 even after 2 month later.  Then along came O2.  BTW when on BT before used to get 4700-5100-20cn-.

Actually 55dB  ;)
So 4mbps is all that can reasonably be expected on ADSL anything (2+ is no better than 1)
Which why its a problem when there is a fault.

anything