Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modem/Router with Built-in Stats Monitoring / Custom firmware  (Read 5256 times)

yousaf465

Monitoring Lan traffic and recording data usage is possible with router firmware such as gargoyle and DD-wrt etc.

So there any firmware for Modem (any brand) which can monitor the stats such as SNR etc and plot a graph.

PC software such as DSLstats will not required.  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Modem/Router with Built-in Stats Monitoring / Custom firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »

Im not aware of router firmware that will do so for all routers.  DD-WRT is/was probably about the most popular as last time I looked they supported the most routers, but it may have changed since.

Years ago I used to use MRTG, which should be able to graph stats for any SNMP enabled router, but its a PITA to set up and involves a fair bit of scripting.   However this isnt router firmware and needs software running on the local PC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

yousaf465

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:37 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's the router firmware which displays those graphs. It's the Sky Router Tool, an external program like DSLstats or Routerstats. All that custom firmware does is expose many more of the performance characteristics in the router GUI.
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »

In any event EVEN if there was firmware that would be capable of recording stats's real time - it would need sufficent physical read/writable storage chips etc within the router to record the data for later downloading to PC.

What would be nice as a cheaper way of record 24/7 data without a PC haivng to be on is for say a rasberry pi to be able to automatically run that various stats programs storing the data to SD card whatever.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »

What would be nice as a cheaper way of record 24/7 data without a PC haivng to be on is for say a rasberry pi to be able to automatically run that various stats programs storing the data to SD card whatever.

Now there's a thought.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »

That method has been tried & tested as a viable option.

The data gathered from such a set up (using a Huawei HG610, HG612 or HG622 as a VDSL2 modem or ADSL modem/router) can already be plotted via the graphing elements of the recently released HG612 Modem Stats r1.1 package.

yousaf465

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »

any links.

yousaf465

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:36:31 AM »

another solution would be, use scripts in Gargoyle running router and save the graphs on a USB.

1. Gargoyle wifi router telnets the modem
2. Retrive DSL stats
3. Logs data and store data either on router ( modern router have atlest 8MB flash.) or USB
4. Optionally plots a graph.

a wifi with a USB port cost Rs 2250 (15 pounds) compared to R-pi Ver B which cost 6300(42 pounds).  8)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:46:50 AM by yousaf465 »

anything