Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Announces NEW Home Hub 5 with Built in VDSL modem  (Read 16484 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT Announces NEW Home Hub 5 with Built in VDSL modem
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »

Just one quick question from the BSE Cattery:) 

Is your area provided with Huawei SmartAX MA5616 or ECI Hi-FOCuS M41 DSLAM equipped cabinets?

If you are unsure, a photograph of the cabinet should allow us to determine its type of contents.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »

It's an eci.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

I must admit I was surprised to see the TG582n arrive when my order tracking ticket said "Added components to account: (Netgear WNR1000 - FTTC)"

That's an error. The TG582N has been shipping for a while with Plusnet FTTC. The WNR1000 hasn't been shipped since late 2011/early 2012.

The consensus from most Plusnet FTTC users is that it is pants.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:50:43 PM by AlecRobertson »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »

In what respect, exactly?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »

The first is that all the ports are 100Mb rather than Gigabit, thus limiting its speed on FTTC. The second is that the web UI is slow and some people notice a whining noise from the unit/PSU. All in all, a pretty poor router overall.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

...and the wireless has supposedly a terrible range from what I read.
but hey it's free/cheap so what do people expect.

to be honest I'm surprised +net don't offer a much better unit as an alternative to those who are willing to pay more.
But then I suppose it just becomes yet another unit to have to 'support' - ie more aggro for what is probably a small section of the customer base who ARE willing to pay.

more interesting to me is the point that there are not really a large number of combined VDSL modem/routers units around.  This tends to put to bed once and for all the suggestion that the the UK is "way behind" all other countries in their superfast roll out.  If indeed FTTC was worldwide widespread then there would be no shortage of 3 party suppliers.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »

An all in one box that actually seems to have everything that it should. :thumbs:
I guess many people (and ISP's) will prefer the simplicity of that, personally I quite liked the idea of keeping the fibre modem and router/hub/WAP as separate units that needn't be in the same place to give added flexibility. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »

>>> The first is that all the ports are 100Mb rather than Gigabit,

That has been my gripe all along.. the fact that there are hardly any FTTC routers that offer gigE.   The only option is shelling out well over £100 and buy your own.

>>> The second is that the web UI is slow

Ive not particularly notice this. Its no slower than any other router.   Is this on the FTTC f/w...  Ive only used it on adsl2+.
PN will likely use a different firmware though than what I do.

>>> the wireless has supposedly a terrible range from what I read.

Again not seen any problems,  Ive had various routers, and in my home it works fine.   Its located on the 1st floor at the front of the house, yet I can still happily use wifi right down the bottom of my back garden.  Unlike other routers it doesnt give me the usual 'dead spot' in my lounge either.  Im just about to put the TG582n back on because my other router is doing my head in.

>>  I'm surprised +net don't offer a much better unit

Which is a better unit though?   The choice is so very limited, I can only repeat what I said in my post above.

Hopefully the other ISPs may soon start following this practice too  :fingers:

Some router manufacturers need to start also looking at what people need and bring out a decent box too.  ATM the choice is far too limited or too expensive, & the BiPac is let down by the fact that it only has ethernet ports not GigE

I really do hope the new HH5 is all that its promised to be...  although it cracks me up everytime I see a BT ad on TV and how the HH is so godamn clever that it doesnt need any modem, or cables... not even a power cable.   :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »

>>> The second is that the web UI is slow

Ive not particularly notice this. Its no slower than any other router.   Is this on the FTTC f/w...  Ive only used it on adsl2+.
PN will likely use a different firmware though than what I do.

The web UI seems to slow down when a large number of devices are on the network at once, i.e. over 10. It's not really slow, but it is slower than something like a DG834GT or even a BT Home Hub 3b.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »

>>> The web UI seems to slow down when a large number of devices are on the network at once, i.e. over 10.

Ahh thank you,  that is possibly why I havent noticed it.
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »

The first is that all the ports are 100Mb rather than Gigabit, thus limiting its speed on FTTC. The second is that the web UI is slow and some people notice a whining noise from the unit/PSU. All in all, a pretty poor router overall.
1)
all the ports are 100Mb rather than Gigabit
OK, so presumably these people are or will be on the 300 Mb/s product or even FTTP then, as the 80Mb/s  product is not a problem for 100Mb/s wired ethernet - or were they actually complaining about wireless performance, whilst using a £5.99 device that is .n compatable?  In fact the latest firmware is .ac compatable.  The reason why there are very few routers offering a) VDSL b) GigE and c) Wireless .ac, is that this requires a lot of processing power. If you need that, buy one that does it.  Otherwise it does what is says on the tin, as actually not a lot is asked of it while the VDSL is offloaded to the modem.
2)
some people notice a whining noise from the unit/PSU
Perhaps they have tinitus?  :lol:  Seriously, that is what makes it 'pants'? Really? ::)

c6em ...and the wireless has supposedly a terrible range from what I read.
Absolutely no different to the ADSL TG582n or even the HG622 IME. And with the .ac firmware, it will probably be even better.  People ought to do the kind of in-depth investigations that Asbokid has done on things like this before opening their mouths.

The web UI seems to slow down when a large number of devices are on the network at once, i.e. over 10. It's not really slow, but it is slower than something like a DG834GT or even a BT Home Hub 3b.
Well, even if that were true, and I'd like to see some objective evidence, rather than subjective opinion, then get yourself a DG834T or a HH3 if these fit all your requirements e.g, > 10 concurrent devices, and the ability to monitor its performance adequately.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:29:52 PM by ColinS »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:04 PM »

didnt know they announced this, I have been under NDA regarding it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »

Have you had your mitts on one?   If youre under NDA I understand if you cant say too much, but impressions?
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

Have you had your mitts on one?   If youre under NDA I understand if you cant say too much, but impressions?

not yet no.
Pages: 1 [2]