Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC modems and storms  (Read 2511 times)

smurfuk

FTTC modems and storms
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

Do you disconnect your FTTC modem and router from the mains/BT socket when a storm is forecast? My line is wholly underground back to the cab some 500m with houses along the entire length; but I read that might be worse than an overhead line for susceptibility to lightning strikes? (Historically the modem reports between a few hundred and a thousand or so errors ph (compared to less than 30 ph normally) during lightning within visible range, viz several miles; but with no other ill-effects on the connection). But I've not heard of any neighbours getting their modem/routers fried and I am located within a housing estate, though on a hill and at just about the highest point. The Church within a couple of hundred metres has a lightning conductor if that makes any difference. (I've always disconnected the telly aerial anyway).

It hasn't been a problem the last few years, for me, but now we seem to be having the odd flash and crash several times every other day, and I might be getting neurotic or something, but I end up manually connecting and disconnecting like the proverbial yo yo. I'm beginning to think I might as well give up on the PC between April and October anyway, and just stick with the mobile data through the smartphone!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:00:04 PM by smurfuk »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: FTTC modems and storms
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

I don't know the answer, but if you want to check for lightning strikes around where you live, have a look at
 www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page=1
  Eric

smurfuk

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

I don't know the answer, but if you want to check for lightning strikes around where you live, have a look at ...

Yep they have a superb Android app showing the number and time of strikes recorded in the locality (with alarms) - it's been horrific this week. (I suspect a single strike might get recorded multiple times though, by the usergroup). The Lightningmaps.org app seems to use data from monitoring stations, though.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

my FTTC didnt even flinch on the storm mid week.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

my FTTC didnt even flinch on the storm mid week.

hmmm... you have a point..   
I'm monitoring SNRm atm due to a line fault..  but after reading your post, it made me realise that I didnt notice anything different during the storms last week either.

When on adsl2+ sometimes it used to waver a up to couple of dB, but not much..  depended on how close the storm was.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mikehiow

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »

We had a big storm last night ~3km away according to Blitzortung.

There were a few errors but no change in anything else.

anything