Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Phone and FTTC dead but router still attempting sync  (Read 18713 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Phone and FTTC dead but router still attempting sync
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »

I'm not sure about the entire history, Colin, as I don't have access to the higher levels. But, we can view up to 28 days historic data via WHOOSH, at engineering level. This is usually suffice to gauge the circuits performance.  :)

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »

I'm not sure about the entire history, Colin, as I don't have access to the higher levels. But, we can view up to 28 days historic data via WHOOSH, at engineering level. This is usually suffice to gauge the circuits performance.  :)
In reality, neither did I, but I did think you also kept the original record from activation time too?  Certainly 28days is sufficient to continue to impact DLM for, well, at least 28days after something has happened!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:01:29 PM by ColinS »

mikehiow

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »

Is that stored per port or per line?

If it's per line, that may explain why I was re-banded in the next DLM adjustment window following my lift and shift.

mikehiow

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »

Well, there was no change yesterday morning, but this morning it seems to have recovered completely.

http://stats.vxr.in/ongoingstats/Ongoing_Stats_20130809-0704-12Hrs/line_stats__FULL_MONTY_P-20130809-0704.png

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »

thats not much of a history :(

a month is nothing really.

so basically if you visited me you might be mistaken in thinking my line has only ever managed 69mbit, when 9 months ago it could do 110mbit.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »

However, BS has also confirmed on a different thread that they also store the record from your original activation too.

The 28days allows them (potentially) to gauge the lines recent perfomance. Your activation record presumably shows that you got 80Mb/s then.  The rest will be 'put down' to crosstalk, I have no doubt.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »

Certain figures are taken during the initial 10 days on BTw DLM, which are permanently stored. 
Sync speed over this period is monitored and used to work out the MSR and FTR which will stay the same for the whole time you are on a particular product ie adsl1, adsl2+ and also presumably FTTC.

This initialisation period is often confused as part of the everyday DLM process, but its NOT... as the DLM is a continual ongoing process.  Its more of a one time only event, although it can be reset by request after Engineer work, it seldom is.

Any of the BTw speedtests where you login on the BT realm were also stored for up to 7 days, although not sure how often these are done now that the BTw performance tester has changed.   These results could also be accessed by the ISP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »

PS if anyones interested...  theres an old image of one of my WOOSH tests here.
Despite having a good line which easily syn'd at 8128, look how easy it is to get permanently landed with an incorrect MSR profile leaving me with an FTR of just 1590 :( 

That 2272 figure was the old standard 2Mb sync speed, but I was stuck with that record for my duration on Maxdsl.  I also used to continually get the 2Mb stuck default bRAS profile.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:53:27 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

For the record, the GEA WHOOSH system does capture 'Baseline' values (ie: when the circuit is switched on).

Certain figures are taken during the initial 10 days on BTw DLM ... and also presumably FTTC.
IIRC from the GEA SIN, there is no 10-day initialisation period for FTTC.  DLM will commence on the second day after activation assuming that there has been a sync held for any reasonable time on Day 1.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:06:34 PM by ColinS »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »

Certain figures are taken during the initial 10 days on BTw DLM, which are permanently stored. 
Sync speed over this period is monitored and used to work out the MSR and FTR which will stay the same for the whole time you are on a particular product ie adsl1, adsl2+ and also presumably FTTC.

This initialisation period is often confused as part of the everyday DLM process, but its NOT... as the DLM is a continual ongoing process.  Its more of a one time only event, although it can be reset by request after Engineer work, it seldom is.

Any of the BTw speedtests where you login on the BT realm were also stored for up to 7 days, although not sure how often these are done now that the BTw performance tester has changed.   These results could also be accessed by the ISP.

except kitz I am pretty sure the 10 days monitoring to make a MSR and FTR is abandoned on FTTC, now there is no min acceptable speed on any given line.  This is why a few of us are not happy with fault resolution for FTTC problems.  Instead there is rules such as a 25% loss of speed within a 14 day period.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]