Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 logs gaps  (Read 5509 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
HG612 logs gaps
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:28 AM »

I set the Graphpd to 3 hours to-night to have a peek what's been going on over the three hours but looking at the graphs there seems to be a lot of gaps in it and the PC has been on for well over 6 hours  :-\

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 logs gaps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »

I have only seen gaps like that when the PC has been very busy running a very resource-hungry program that slows everything down.

My virus checker has a similar effect (AVG Free 2013), but to nowhere near that extent.

See the effect in the attached 3 hour OHF graph including when when AVG kicked in at 04:00 this morning

Another potential cause could be the programs being installed on a server which kicks in to run an intensive backup taking a few hours or so.

It may be useful to see an extract from your ERROR.LOG that covers the time from say 22:00 23rd to 01:00 24th.
Also an extract for the same period from modem_stats.log would help to identify exactly which periods seem to have missed the data harvest.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

The other thing that can sometimes cause it, is if something causes more than one instance of the stats logging process to be left running at the same time.  There are several things that might cause that situation in the first place, but once it occurs, the multiple processes can end up fighting each other for the CPU which then maxes out at 100%.  Have you noticed any associated performance degredation.  Task Manager should tell you in there are any multiple processes.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »

I don't see much cpu over heads 5-10% when using internet explorer and 1 - 2 % idle, using Windows Security Essentials for protection dumped NIS2013 was to busy for my likeing  >:(

I have uploaded the error log and snip of modem_stats log 10pm - 1am  for you to have a look at, and I'll do some investigation on process's thats running in the background.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:46:39 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »

I haven't seen this issue previously, so I'm guessing at the cause at the moment.

It seems that logging into the modem is O.K. & data is recevied from xdslcmd info --stats, but instead of continuing into the get_data() function, something fails & causes the program to jump to the exit routine, closing things down & freeing memory ready for the next harvest.

Are you running this in conjunction with DSLstats.exe or perhaps an old scheduled task from the original script version?
Maybe you also have the program running on more than one PC without a sufficient stagger between harvests?
(Or even some other program that attempts to login to the modem at the same time - say a Telnet session etc?)

Have you managed to have a look at what other processes are/were running at the same time an attempt to harvest data is made?

Probably not relevant, but have you changed any modem settings from the default unlocked configuration?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »

I haven't seen this issue previously, so I'm guessing at the cause at the moment.

It seems that logging into the modem is O.K. & data is recevied from xdslcmd info --stats, but instead of continuing into the get_data() function, something fails & causes the program to jump to the exit routine, closing things down & freeing memory ready for the next harvest.

Are you running this in conjunction with DSLstats.exe or perhaps an old scheduled task from the original script version?
Maybe you also have the program running on more than one PC without a sufficient stagger between harvests?
(Or even some other program that attempts to login to the modem at the same time - say a Telnet session etc?)

Have you managed to have a look at what other processes are/were running at the same time an attempt to harvest data is made?

Probably not relevant, but have you changed any modem settings from the default unlocked configuration?

Hi the old HG612 stats program was removed along with the old HG612 stats task schedule.

Looking into Windows Task Scheduler using Admin tools -> Task Scheduler there is only one entry in the scheduled tasks for the HG612 stats program and its set to (after triggered, repeat every 00:01:00)

I do have RS-W32-2.91 installed but it's only an On and Off program if you know what i meen and it's off 99.9% of the time.

its a DUAL CORE CPU pentium E6700 @ 3GHZ 4GB Ram Vista/Windows 8 though have not tested HG612 Wingraphs on Win8 yet.

I am thinking the Program Networx may be the issue as it reads my Upload & Download usage it does note have a task schedule only uses 0.2% of CPU usage.

and HG612 Modem has the stock unlocked settings.

So still I am in the Dark  :(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:32:26 AM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »

I suppose it may be worth rebooting the PC - just to clear anything that may be left over from something that has caused this issue.

If that resolves it, then fine.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, maybe completely power cycle the HG612 (just the once) to clear anything on that side of things.

If both of those are done & the issue still continues, it would appear that some other running procram/service may be the cause.
I don't think it would be Networx though as I used to run that 24/7 with no issues.

Do you see multiple instances of HG612_stats.exe or Command.com running in Task Manager (possibly at lower than normal priority?

If so, these processes should be ended & that might restore normality.

Am I right to assume this has not always been an issue?

The update I'm planning to upload some time next week does harvest & update the data more efficiently (more noticeable when updating very large modem_stats.log files) e.g. mine is larger than 200 MB & I don't see any issues.

Saying that, I don't think that's the issue here.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »

I can see only one Hg612 stats.exe poping in & out in the task manager it's so quick I don't have time to look at the properties of the process, and looking back at the old version I don't have those gaps only when the PC was off !

I have not turned off the HG612 yet because I like to time it right when the attainable rate/SNRM is at it's highest point 1pm - 2 pm so i'll do this at the weekend.

It is odd and what could be causing this ! and as you know finding the process/service that may be causing the issue is very time consuming and it may be a service I need  :o

but I am looking deeper into the HG612 Task schedule see pic.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:58:25 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »

Have you tried rebooting the PC to clear everything yet?

It does appear that Task Scheduler is attempting to start the same task twice.

Is the Correlation ID of the new task identical to the one that is supposedly already running?

I have attached a screenshot of how the tasks should look (Windows 7).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »

Have you tried rebooting the PC to clear everything yet?

It does appear that Task Scheduler is attempting to start the same task twice.

Is the Correlation ID of the new task identical to the one that is supposedly already running?

Cheers BE for your screenshot, PC has been rebooted and still getting the errors in the task history, disabled the hg612 task and removed the task in schedular and started the HG612 settings editor which gives me a bran new hg612 stat's schedule but it still thinks it has two of the same tasks.

I am getting confused now  ;D only one HG612 task but it thinks it has another duplicate task running.

Have you any recommendations how to clean and remove all HG612 stask's and start a fresh ?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

You shouldn't need to do this but it might be worth a try:-

In the task's Settings tab,  where you can select an option for "If the task is already running, then the following rule applies", you could maybe try "Do not start a new instance" or "Stop the existing instance".

Other than that, I'm out of ideas as this hasn't cropped up previously.

It does seem to be more of a Task Scheduler glitch than a HG612 Stats glitch.

Mine is set as "Do not start a new instance" by default.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

look BE the Stats program is not at fault here and just did an ongoing backup and removed the stats program and removed HG612 stats schedule then installed it again and Graphpd a 10 day period and it looks good see attachment, the gaps only seem to show up in the Graphs if I run Graphpd 1-24 hr period.

its working fine for me the way it is, and the task scheduler for HG612 has no reds (warnings)
and thanks for your help  ;)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:20:33 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »

I did say I would Install HG612 Wingraphs on Windows 8 and it still has those gaps as does Vista and one strange thing with Windows 8 a window pops up with this weird screen about .VBS ? every 1 minute that must be the HG612 task schedule.

So I think a power off of the HG612 is needed  :-\

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »

Graphpd a 10 day period and it looks good see attachment.
Actually, no it doesn't. :no: Have a look at the Up-time plot.  There are lots of gaps in it, but the time-line keeps increasing as your modem continued to be up over the 10 days.  So, there is a problem with gaps in the data logged, rather than plotted.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »

Graphpd a 10 day period and it looks good see attachment.
Actually, no it doesn't. :no: Have a look at the Up-time plot.  There are lots of gaps in it, but the time-line keeps increasing as your modem continued to be up over the 10 days.  So, there is a problem with gaps in the data logged, rather than plotted.

I know the gaps on the 10 day plot is me turning on and off the PC as I don't leave it on 24/7 the time line on the VDSL2 uptime will increase as more hours are harvested in the ongoing Modem_Stats log file (Uptime Hours) but TBH I was happier with the older version as it had less info/stats to look through, but I like do like the added US & DS errored seconds graph the new version is so Technical you need a PHD in FTTC Broadband telecommunications  :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:00:54 AM by NewtronStar »