Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.7 released  (Read 24480 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v3.7 released
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

After a few days and more tests I can't get the past days traffic saved in file with either a PC shutdown or a modem power down.  However only a PC shutdown does not seem to matter as the full modem values pick up on PC startup and with only a modem shutdown the program seems clever enough to cope and not go to zero.   It seems to be the combined PC and modem shutdown that is the issue. 

Might the save action which occurs on program exit be allowed to occur with each sample.  Perhaps via an option if it is a significant overhead.   I guess that would be one fix.

What I was thinking of doing was save the traffic data once an hour, but perhaps more frequently would be appropriate. There's no significant overhead, so I can do it as often as needed. I'm splitting out the traffic data from the main dslstats.ini file, as I don't really want to be endlessly rewriting that for no reason.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
It's New Years Day and a question on error averaging
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »

syslog msgbuf show hist=enabled is included on my set up. For a period today therouter and computer were off ( all done properly to prevent DLM getting ideas!).
Looking at what the output from the command gave, I noticed that the dates are wrong
Code: [Select]
syslog msgbuf show hist=enabled
<85> Jan  1 00:00:08 FIREWALL has been enabled
<4> Jan  1 00:00:16 KERNEL Cold restart
<85> Jan  1 00:00:25 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules
<85> Jan  1 00:00:25 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules
<82> Jan  1 00:00:32 UPnP framework disabled
<85> Jan  1 00:00:32 FIREWALL has been enabled
<82> Jan  1 00:00:35 UPnP framework disabled
<82> Jan  1 00:00:37 UPnP framework disabled
<82> Jan  1 00:00:42 UPnP framework enabled
<85> Jan  1 00:00:46 FIREWALL level changed to Standard.
<85> Jan  1 00:00:46 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules
<148> Jan  1 00:00:46 DHCS server up
<173> Jan  1 00:00:54 xDSL linestate down
<3> Jan  1 00:01:02 [ANTI_SPOOFD] (err) llist_getobject_at for ENV.ANTI_SPOOFD's value failed

<173> Jan  1 00:01:24 xDSL linestate down
<37> Jan  1 00:01:46 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)
<173> Jan  1 00:01:51 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 6654 kbit/s, upstream: 811 kbit/s; output Power Down: 20.4 dBm, Up: 12.8 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 48.5 dB, Up: 26.9 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 6.4 dB)
<38> Jan  1 00:01:52 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red5.bs (Internet)
<38> Jan  1 00:01:54 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost pcl-ag03 (Internet)
<38> Jan  1 00:01:55 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
<132> Jan  1 00:01:56 PPP link up (Internet) [87.114.56.148]

<132> Jan  1 00:02:11 PPP link down (Internet) [87.114.56.148]

<38> Jan  1 00:02:16 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red5.bs (Internet)
<38> Jan  1 00:02:17 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG02 (Internet)
<38> Jan  1 00:02:17 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
<132> Jan  1 00:02:18 PPP link up (Internet) [87.112.26.89]

<14> Jan  1 00:02:36 CONFIGURATION saved by TR69
<37> Jan  1 00:03:38 LOGIN User admin logged in on TELNET (192.168.1.64)

Is the incorrect dating something emanating from the router or a glitch in 3.7? I have seen it before, but only for ~3 lines, far fewer than in the example.

I understand most entries, but one
Code: [Select]
Jan  1 00:01:02 [ANTI_SPOOFD] (err) llist_getobject_at for ENV.ANTI_SPOOFD's value failed. What the.....is that about! :-\ :)

My question on averages

How does the program deal with periods when there is no internet activity, i.e. computers etc /computers etc & router off?
My thinking is that if the  seemingly "idle" periods' figures are included, there could be a false picture of  performance.

But them I may have got my self in a twist. :o :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:40:20 PM by renluop »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

Is the incorrect dating something emanating from the router or a glitch in 3.7? I have seen it before, but only for ~3 lines, far fewer than in the example.

Jan 1 00:00:00 is the router's default startup time. During its initialisation it tries to get the correct time from an internet source via NTP (Network Time Protocol). If it can't locate an NTP server, the time continues counting up from its default. It's not related to DSLstats (or any other monitoring program).

I'm afraid I have no idea what that line you quoted means.

Concerning the averages, on shutdown DSLstats saves the most recent values of the router's error counters, and tries to take appropriate action when it starts up again. As I've mentioned before, I need to give this area of the program some more attention because it doesn't always deliver correct results. This is on the todo list but not the highest priority at present.
  Eric

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »

Just wanted to say Eric, when I have been able to use the program, the traffic monitoring seems to have been working perfectly.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »

Thanks for that. There are some situations it doesn't cover properly, but I've been putting a lot of effort into improving it for the next release.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »

Eric I have a couple of minor niggles with a couple of graphs....

The max attainable rate on the speed graph still only shows at the default thickness of 1 pixel which does not show up clearly, can you make it so it displays at the same thickness as the main graph?

The FEC error graph is a bit tricky to know what to do, it does not seem to scale down once it reaches very high numbers, is it possible to scale it for the values actually displayed rather than the highest ever reached. It sits at 263470000 as the max value and with low FEC rates you get a flat line. A logarithmic scale shows it OK but with a max value of 100000000 (think that's the correct number of 0's). Maybe this happens when DSLStats is up for long periods, it did not reset when I power cycled the router.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »

Stuart, those are fair points. The line thickness issue is an oversight on my part, and easily fixed.

I'm not entirely sure what to do about the FEC graph, because I think it's quite likely that the extremely high values you mention are themselves the result of a bug. Ryant704 reported some crazy values, and I believe that these may have been another instance of some values being too high for the type of variable I was holding them in. This is corrected in the next version. As to the general point, I don't really want to continually change the scaling to suit the range of values on view, because that would make horizontal scrolling a nightmare. With linear scaling you've got the option to clip the highest value, and perhaps I should retain the possibility of clipping when using a logarithmic scale?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »

Eric the FEC thing is manageable but would be good if you can find some way to improve it. I was wondering if those very very high values were real or as the result of a bug either in DSLStats or the router irmware.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »

I'll do my best.

Concerning the line thickness issue, I think that this is actually a peculiarity of Windows (or maybe only on older versions of Windows?). Thick dotted lines display in DSLstats as you would expect on both my Linux systems (with KDE) but not on Windows. On Windows a dotted line 3 pixels wide is actually displayed as a series of little + shapes, whereas on Linux they are displayed as short thick dashes. I'm not sure what to do about this - I've tried different line styles, but none of them look good in Windows. Perhaps the thing to do on Windows is that when the line thickness is greater than 1 then the max attainable line is shown as a single thickness solid line. What do you think?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »

I'll do my best.

Concerning the line thickness issue, I think that this is actually a peculiarity of Windows (or maybe only on older versions of Windows?). Thick dotted lines display in DSLstats as you would expect on both my Linux systems (with KDE) but not on Windows. On Windows a dotted line 3 pixels wide is actually displayed as a series of little + shapes, whereas on Linux they are displayed as short thick dashes. I'm not sure what to do about this - I've tried different line styles, but none of them look good in Windows. Perhaps the thing to do on Windows is that when the line thickness is greater than 1 then the max attainable line is shown as a single thickness solid line. What do you think?

Eric I would not worry that much, I thought it would be a simple fix  :no: blame Windows (2K in my case). I only mentioned it because I thought it would be easy. If it is better in XP or 7 (or 8 ) then leave well alone, dont mess it up because I have a dinosaur Windows.

Stuart
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:08:47 PM by broadstairs »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »

Thanks Stuart. I thought it would be a simple fix too. I'm using Win2K as well, in a virtual machine, to build and test the Windows version.

I'll see if I can find a way to improve this, but I won't spend too much time on it. :)
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »

Minor colour scheme issue: Traffic stats graph.
I've changed my downstream graph colour from the default(red) to blue.
This change is not reflected in the newly added traffic stats graph which remains as red for the download.
If I change the upstream to say purple just as a test this change is not reflected either and the traffic stats upstream remains as green.
So the graphing function is not picking up any graph colour configuration change
This is Win XP F.Y.I.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »

Thanks for the report. It's corrected in the next version.
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything