Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.7 released  (Read 24562 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats v3.7 released
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »

I am seeing the same invalid integer message doing Traffic Measurement on the Windows version connected to my HG622, happens every time and reset does not stop it. The number shown is huge 4240291554 and is different each time.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »

Thanks Stuart.  I've got a good idea where to look for this, and I should be able to fix it. In the meantime, for people who see this issue it would be best to disable the traffic monitoring for the time being.
  Eric

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »

It seems the integer error is caused by values equal or bigger than 2łą.

I am using the "/proc/dev/net" source. Sometimes the displayed traffic randomly increases about 1 GB though the raw data only counted a few MB.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »

I have been running happily with a past version but now I really like   :) the traffic monitoring in 3.7 and wonder over long term monitoring even when things are switched off each night.  I may be missing something but past values seem lost with over night shutdowns.

I wonder whether allowance for modem/computer shutdowns over night or in the day might be made with the latest values traffic values for the current day being saved to a file with each sample.  On restart a check could be made on this file regarding the traffic values and the date and time of the last sample. If a previous day it could be placed in separate recording file for past days and if not it could be taken into consideration for the current day.

Might something like this be possible?  It is a great utility!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »

It seems the integer error is caused by values equal or bigger than 2łą.

I am using the "/proc/dev/net" source. Sometimes the displayed traffic randomly increases about 1 GB though the raw data only counted a few MB.

Yes, it's caused by a string to integer conversion function which only returns a 32-bit signed value. There's a 64-bit version of the function which I'll be using instead, which will effectively provide unlimited capacity.

I'm not sure about the random jumps in displayed traffic, but these may be the result of an error in parsing the raw data. I'll check it out.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »

I have been running happily with a past version but now I really like   :) the traffic monitoring in 3.7 and wonder over long term monitoring even when things are switched off each night.  I may be missing something but past values seem lost with over night shutdowns.

I wonder whether allowance for modem/computer shutdowns over night or in the day might be made with the latest values traffic values for the current day being saved to a file with each sample.  On restart a check could be made on this file regarding the traffic values and the date and time of the last sample. If a previous day it could be placed in separate recording file for past days and if not it could be taken into consideration for the current day.

Might something like this be possible?  It is a great utility!

Thanks for those comments. When DSLstats is closed down, the current state of the traffic data is saved, and restored when the program is started again. But it may not handle this correctly if there's a change of day between closing down and restarting. I also suspect that there may be an issue if one of the router's traffic counters wraps round from 4 GB during the closed-down period. I'll be looking at these issues.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

Something does not seem quite right. Here are my error stats ( in attachment). Somehow, even though the graphs are set up properly, no CRCs are being graphed, and only one upstream FEC  at ~8 pm. editedMoreover no snapshots are taken despite being set up. (Mea culpa)

Thanks for correcting that point. :)

Are you still seeing an absence of CRCs and FECs being plotted? It's possible that you're just not getting many. I believe that there is a bug in the reporting of the FEC averages when the program is closed down and restarted, but I haven't yet had time to look properly at it. This could be the cause of higher levels being reported in the averages than are shown in the graphs.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

Thank you eric, I will download and install in a bit and give relevant feedback :)

-----------

However, (you are going to hate me now) but since it would appear that my upstream issue is back,  pwetty please is it possible to log the atten figures for vdsl.

The attenuation cant be obtained via the normal stats on the HG612  and I think you may need to get it from # xdslcmd info --pbParams for FTTC lines.

xdslcmd info --stats

Code: [Select]
Max: Upstream rate = 35417 Kbps, Downstream rate = 102116 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 11.9 15.7
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 14.3 5.3

Using
xdslcmd info --pbParams

Code: [Select]
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 35349 Kbps, Downstream rate = 102116 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:      35349 kbps        102116 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        5.3 dBm          14.3 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  0.8     17.9    29.2     N/A    11.1    24.5    38.8

Signal Attenuation(dB):  0.9     17.8    29.0     N/A    11.1    24.5    38.8

SNR Margin(dB):  5.9     20.8    14.2     N/A    11.6    12.1    11.9

TX Power(dBm): -4.8    -25.3    4.8      N/A    12.0    7.4     7.2

#
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »

:)

Yes, I should be able to put something together.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »

Turned on computer and started dslstats this morning. The only entry on the graphs was @ 11:50 for upstream CRCs as per attachment. Nothing at all is recorded for FECs. However, assuming I am reading the stats correctly, an increase of the per second rate from 6456  in my post last evening to 8343 @~13:00 today indicates there is much activity.

BTWi how can I snapshot the telnet data, so to have available the actual status at the two hourly intervals?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »

However, assuming I am reading the stats correctly, an increase of the per second rate from 6456  in my post last evening to 8343 @~13:00 today indicates there is much activity.

I think that might be another indication of the suspected bug I referred to a few messages ago.

BTWi how can I snapshot the telnet data, so to have available the actual status at the two hourly intervals?

The only way at the moment is manually - highlight the text by dragging the mouse over it, then copy it to the clipboard with Ctrl+C. Paste it into a text editor to save it.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »

Oh dear! :o :D I'll have to use my excellent forgettery again to do get those telnets.

Now being the bear with little brain on this forum I am wondering, if until some of the matters are sorted I should revert to 3.6. :-\

OT but what are the problems with making Windows64 versions?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:49:33 PM by renluop »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »

However, (you are going to hate me now) but since it would appear that my upstream issue is back,  pwetty please is it possible to log the atten figures for vdsl.

The attenuation cant be obtained via the normal stats on the HG612  and I think you may need to get it from # xdslcmd info --pbParams for FTTC lines.

I've put together a version which hopefully will work. I've no way of testing it of course, so if it doesn't work, let me know.
You need to enable the option "Stats per band" in the pbParams section of Configuration --> Options.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats32W-3.71.zip
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

The errors have reset and the graphs are now working. This bear's brain is littler than before. :-[

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »

Somewhat OT but can I use the command for extended router event log  of the 582n in dslstats?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything