Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hope for Turing posthumous pardon  (Read 7702 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Hope for Turing posthumous pardon
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »

I must admit I'd not read it anywhere, its what was said on the news this morning, but before today's events and some guy explaining why only 15 months was originally given.  I'm sure I heard him say that some of the laws weren't the same and back then could only be classed as assault.

Yet now I've just heard mention that a lot was to do with his attitude and arrogance and calling his accusers liars.  I guess i should go reading instead os listening lol
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

There was an upper limit on the sentence (for each conviction) which was 5 years at the time of the offences (over 25 years ago IIRC).
It is now 10 years (not sure from what precise date) for more recent offences, but both those upper limits are for more extreme cases.
The courts felt it was appropriate to use an 18-month sentence (out of a 5 year maximum).

Not knowing what the guidelines are for intermediate sentences it's difficult to say whether a more recent set of similar offences would result in a higher sentence.
This organisation sets the rules independently: http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/sentencing-guidelines.htm   
The Sentencing Council is an independent, non-departmental public body of the Ministry of Justice and replaced the Sentencing Guidelines Council and the Sentencing Advisory Panel in April 2010.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 12:18:42 AM »

And lo, it came to pass...

Royal pardon for Turing
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 12:38:47 AM »

b*cat is suitably impressed.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:40:59 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »

Good that it has been granted: even so he was convicted under the law at the time. My fear is that we may be on the track to further injustices. This is in the matter of allegations of paedophile activities of elderly men going back several decades.

The danger I see is convictions handed down for or including matters that would not have been convictible at the time, or considered minor. Retrospective changes to law, de jure or de facto, are IMO abbhorrent.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »

I dont know much about Turing's specific case but as I understand it the prosecution was for an act between consenting adults and if true such treatment was appalling.

I do not expect it to have any bearing on the current cases going before the courts which are completely different. What I do think likely is for a groundswell of opinion that will expect the many men who were similarly prosecuted and convicted for the same crime to get a pardon, which to me seems not unreasonable.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »

Just in case it is thought that I am making a connection with current cases, I am not in the way that Stuart might seem to be implying. It's just that I feel, that as much as we  cure one injustice, we are so capable of creating others.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »

Apologies - I did not mean to imply that. I was trying (perhaps not very well) to express my own opinion and perhaps my words have been coloured by what I have read elsewhere on the subject.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »

No bovver bruvver :D
Pages: 1 [2]