Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does INP change continuously?  (Read 3273 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Does INP change continuously?
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »

I'm in discussion with a user of the Billion 7800N, concerning the value of INP. He's noticed that the value reported in the GUI is different from the value reported in the CLI. My opinion is that the CLI is the source to be believed in, because the GUI is just a layer on top of the CLI, written by the router manufacturer.

However, when he queried this with Billion, they replied that the value of INP changes all the time, and the GUI is the definitive source for the current information.

Who's correct?
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Does INP change continuously?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »

Are you not asking two questions?

[1] Does INP change continuously?
[2] Are Billion correct with their assertion that the GUI is the definitive source?

???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »

Yes, I am.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

My answers --

[1] Sorry, I do not know.
[2] In my opinion, Billion's assertion is a nonsense. If there is a discrepancy in the reported value of a parameter X, as displayed by the GUI versus the CLI, then I would trust the CLI.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »

INP does not change all the time, a re-sync is needed to change an INP value. This should answer your question to which one is correct...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »

Thanks both.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:52 AM »

just for kicks.... whilst its true for almost all connections to change INP requires a re-sync.... SKY connections (LLu ISAM) do not when used with sky routers as they have implemented something called g.INP which changes INP dynamically during a live connection... :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »

^

I also seem to see some 'weirdness'  on my BTw based line.   
Interleaving is switched off (depth 1)  & INP is set at 0.00..  and mostly I dont get any FECs, just CRCs and HECs... 
but then I will get a period of FECs and my latency will suddenly increase. 

The increase in latency could be related to the errors themselves.. or is there something else going on behind the scenes.
Whatever it is, my line does seem to do something dynamically with respect to Error Correction and Noise protection.   Ive not looked at it too deeply as Id need to investigate whilst its actually happening.... but it doesnt happen very often.    I definitely do have some sort of error correction (not interleaving) that kicks in from time to time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »

^

I also seem to see some 'weirdness'  on my BTw based line.   
Interleaving is switched off (depth 1)  & INP is set at 0.00..  and mostly I dont get any FECs, just CRCs and HECs... 
but then I will get a period of FECs and my latency will suddenly increase. 

The increase in latency could be related to the errors themselves.. or is there something else going on behind the scenes.
Whatever it is, my line does seem to do something dynamically with respect to Error Correction and Noise protection.   Ive not looked at it too deeply as Id need to investigate whilst its actually happening.... but it doesnt happen very often.    I definitely do have some sort of error correction (not interleaving) that kicks in from time to time.

I've had the same recently, Fast Path on with FEC enabled. The connection was banded at 20Mbps at this time, I got this lifted. The speed went up to 26768, Fast path still on with FEC enabled. Though I was getting 32/33ms instead of the old 26ms. That night after the DLM reset, DS went to like 26642 and upstream went up around 200Kbps. Fast path still on but this time without FEC on and I am now getting the 26ms again.

I couldn't really find why the latency was doing it either, the only thing I've noticed different is the amount of ES. Even then they aren't through the roof...

anything