Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTC DLM adjustment  (Read 22083 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: FTTC DLM adjustment
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Our experiences suggest that those lines that have had a fixed cap applied usually on 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 Mbps are permanently fixed until a BT Openreach engineer has visited with his test instrument and then (s)he remembers to "reset the DLM".

Why some lines are capped at those values and some not still remains a mystery - at least to me.

Kind regards,
Walter

hi there

my line (40/10) seems to be "capped" down at 35000 since a few weeks, however i had a few ping changes and upload speed too.....current stats:

Max:    Upstream rate = 10993 Kbps, Downstream rate = 46708 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 9995 Kbps, Downstream rate = 35000 Kbps

============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  0.1     7.4     10.4     N/A    4.4     10.2    18.3
Signal Attenuation(dB): 0.1     7.4     10.4     N/A    4.4     10.2    18.3
        SNR Margin(dB):   6.5     6.9     6.2      N/A    8.6       8.6      8.2
       TX Power(dBm): -11.3   -128.0  -8.4     N/A    9.8       7.4      0.6

worth to wait some more weeks rather than calling Sky and asking for a profile reset? this past friday ping went down to an awesome 5-6ms from 13ms which i had previously, so DLM is doing "something" but i wouldn't like if they might mess up the ping....

thanks
Gab

that attainable looks horrid for the attenuation, it should be capable of over 100mbit so an easy 40/10 sync.

or have I misread the data?

--edit--

just looked at your graphs, your QLN is extremely high, the worst I have ever seen posted on any site, :(  Deffo an underperforming line.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:54:22 AM by Chrysalis »

gab81

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Our experiences suggest that those lines that have had a fixed cap applied usually on 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 Mbps are permanently fixed until a BT Openreach engineer has visited with his test instrument and then (s)he remembers to "reset the DLM".

Why some lines are capped at those values and some not still remains a mystery - at least to me.

Kind regards,
Walter

hi there

my line (40/10) seems to be "capped" down at 35000 since a few weeks, however i had a few ping changes and upload speed too.....current stats:

Max:    Upstream rate = 10993 Kbps, Downstream rate = 46708 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 9995 Kbps, Downstream rate = 35000 Kbps

============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  0.1     7.4     10.4     N/A    4.4     10.2    18.3
Signal Attenuation(dB): 0.1     7.4     10.4     N/A    4.4     10.2    18.3
        SNR Margin(dB):   6.5     6.9     6.2      N/A    8.6       8.6      8.2
       TX Power(dBm): -11.3   -128.0  -8.4     N/A    9.8       7.4      0.6

worth to wait some more weeks rather than calling Sky and asking for a profile reset? this past friday ping went down to an awesome 5-6ms from 13ms which i had previously, so DLM is doing "something" but i wouldn't like if they might mess up the ping....

thanks
Gab

that attainable looks horrid for the attenuation, it should be capable of over 100mbit so an easy 40/10 sync.

or have I misread the data?

--edit--

just looked at your graphs, your QLN is extremely high, the worst I have ever seen posted on any site, :(  Deffo an underperforming line.

hi there,

thanks for the comment hehe  ;D

Actually the guys here on the forum have already given me their feedback and yeah i know about the noise levels (Zoe's test number gives "very little noise" so thats strange indeed). i can almost have coffee inside the cabinet LOL... i am doing monitoring all this week and will post stats next monday from 1 week worth of data.

it should defo attach higher but i'd be happy to see back 40 since i am paying the 40/10 package so it doesn't matter.

just for the note i have Huawei modem on a ECI cabinet and cap should be lifted sometime around 50-60th day according to the "theory" and 3 steps down which happened (read previous posts).

ciao!
Gabrio

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:11 AM »

The capping only affects actual sync not attainable but yeah luckily you only on 40/10 anyway so currently not losing too much speed.

under 9db snr margin, the crosstalk is brutal on your line for sure.

thanks for the posts, they a massive eye opener, you seem the #1 candidate for vectoring now :D

gab81

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »

The capping only affects actual sync not attainable but yeah luckily you only on 40/10 anyway so currently not losing too much speed.

under 9db snr margin, the crosstalk is brutal on your line for sure.

thanks for the posts, they a massive eye opener, you seem the #1 candidate for vectoring now :D

LOL to be honest with you it's a highly populated area, in the proximity with a radius of say 300m there are like 4 fibre cabinets but i cannot tell how many ppl are connected on fibre. if u read the story, something happened on that sunday 16th june, somebody speculated that they connected someone and that in fact did the crosstalk in first place, but seriously, on a sunday, possible? oh well, i am happy with this connection anyway  ;D ping is just great, 5ms

gab81

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »

BTW, just out of curiosity, my Huawei Modem + Sky Router + Cordless phone are connected to the power mains with a 4-gang extension w/ surge protector, I just read another post someone removing it and SNR improved... worth a quick disconnect or not?

gab81

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

Hello guys, so here's one week+ of statistics of what is happening on my line, which as some have said, would be a great candidate for vectoring anyway.

My observations:

- On the uptime graph you will find 2 instances where the connection seems to have resynced, in the first case (31.07 @ 12.00) it was an automatic resync, soon after that i had "retrain reason = 2".

- The second instance (31.07 @ 20.00 approx) it was me removing the power surge protector since i read of a case influencing the modem's performance. Unfortunately i didn't notice the resync happening at 12.00 that day.

As you can see these 2 events have impacted the signal in some way, in particular i noticed that the power of the D3 band was going down, was that connected to the removal of the surge protector or the fact of the automatic resync?

Also, D3 SNRM was going down on 31.07 @ 12.00 but then picked up again....?

Finally, on that very same day, 31.07, from the other graphs we observe that some new tones have been discovered (31.07 @ 16.27 until 20.58 that day) and the QLN graph was also different, was it improving or not? I cannot understand that. After i disconnected the surge protector, things changed, less tones discovered and since then to now it has been discovering a bit different tones here and there.

So it's now 50 days since the day i lost speed for the first time, i am wondering if the 35000 banding will finally go away around this week reaching the 56th day? Or due to the physical conditions of the line will always stay like that.

Off to the graphs, here we are!

31.07 - 16.27 > automatic resync, retrain reason 2
31.07 - 20.58 > resync from me removing surge protector
05.08 - 12.00 > stats i have today
and 7 days full monty > stats i have today

Cheers for comments guys!!
Gabrio

gab81

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

It seems that Razpag is the expert to this matter, just curious, what do you think about this funny situation, will the 39996 ever going to be back or i'd need to pester Sky?

Thanks!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

Watch that razpag geezer, he's an animal.  ;D

TBH, there are a lot of folk better placed on here these days, who have conducted lengthy tests and attained a far greater knowledge of DLM, than that razpag fool.

BE, B*Cat, Asbo, Eric, (and now Kitz herself), are definitely the ones to approach with all things DLM. Apologies if I've missed anybody else who should belong on that list.  :-\

gab81

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Hehe good one... Anyone else wishing to comment if i will get the 39996 itself alone at some point? I am somehow reluctant to call sky. One thing is clear to me, is a cabling issue or cross talk otherwise i cant explain all the line  noise and low attn rate being just 140 meters from the cabinet....oh well.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything