Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ...... and the band marched on.  (Read 4267 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
...... and the band marched on.
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

As I keep saying, get your shares bought ........... BT (IMO) will only get stronger in this market.  :)

BT Sport and BBC win FA Cup Rights

BT Sport and the BBC have secured a four year shared rights deal that will see both broadcasters become home to The FA Cup from 2014.

The deal will see the return of the most romantic club competition in world football free to view on BBC One and on BT Sport, which is free with BT broadband.

Jake Humphrey will lead BT Sport’s coverage from our ground breaking new studios in the Queen Elizabeth Park, Stratford. BT Sport is already due to show live matches from The FA Cup in the 2013-14 season along with live Barclays Premier League matches and a range of top class football from top tier leagues across the world.

BT Sport made a determined joint bid to retain The FA Cup rights because we believe it is one of the truly great club football competitions. We are thrilled to bring our viewers the incredible stories of passion, and victories against all odds, that pepper the history of the competition. These include Leeds United being humbled by Second Division Sunderland in the 1973 final, right up to May this year, when unfancied Wigan Athletic defeated Manchester City at Wembley.

We will be fielding a superb line up of presenting talent to showcase and analyse all of the action. And because BT Sport is free with BT broadband on BT TV, online or via satellite we are confident that we can reach a large audience rapidly.

As the new FA Chairman Greg Dyke said “BT Sport might be new to television but they’re a major corporation and have been a part of everyday British life for a number of decades. They have millions of customers and are shaping up to be a heavyweight player in the broadcasting world so The FA Cup is a fantastic asset for their growing portfolio of sports”.

We couldn’t have put it better ourselves.

The BT Sport team

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ...... and the band marched on.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

I did have some BT shares many moons ago. :-[

It may be my feminine side, but I really cant understand all this fuss about sports...  it doesnt interest me in the slightest, but yep I understand why BT are making a big deal of it and they have hugely invested in it.

When I happened to ring up BT the other day every person I spoke to answered with "Welcome to BT - Home of BT Sports".    Im glad that someone else is giving the Murdoch empire some competition too.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:49 AM »

BT publishes first quarter results to June 2013

•   Solid numbers, slightly ahead of expectations
•   Early days, but very pleased with strong start in BT Sport
We made a good start to the financial year, delivering another quarter of solid growth in underlying profit before tax – up 5%. This is despite the impact of regulation and the significant investments we are making for the future.
BT Sport is one of our UK investments, and a real game-changer for the pay-TV market. Although early days, we’ve made a strong start with more than half a million households having already ordered the service - and that’s before the channels have even launched. While most are existing customers who have re-contracted their broadband service, we expect the proportion of new customers to increase after we launch the channels on 1 August (check out the latest on Sport).
Our fibre network now passes more than 16m premises. Take up of fibre is strong with over 1.7m homes and businesses connected - 265,000 added in the quarter. Retail accounted for 197,000 of these, up around 30%, with our retail customer base now standing at around 1.5m. Our continued investment and focus on deploying fibre into regional areas of the UK is helping the government to achieve its goal of more than 90% fibre availability in the next few years.
The physical line base grew by 12,000 compared with a 44,000 decline in the first quarter last year – with people preferring to run broadband over a fixed line than rely on mobile. We also launched the new slim-line BT Hub 4 which offers market-leading wireless reliability.
Revenue from small and medium-sized enterprises increased by 1%, the best performance in more than four years since the UK recession started - with 9% growth in IT services. We also launched the Plusnet Business brand which offers a range of broadband and phone packages.
Wholesale made a strong start to the year with total order intake of £509m, mainly covering broadband, Ethernet and IP Exchange services. Managed solutions grew by 23% with IP services growing by 12%.
Global Services delivered a strong order intake, which was up almost 50% to £1.7bn. It again generated a double-digit increase in revenue in the high-growth regions of Asia Pacific, Latin America, Turkey, the Middle East and Africa.
As I sign off on my last set of BT results, I’d like to say that I am immensely proud to have led BT over the last five years. The foundations are in place for an exciting future and I’m confident BT will make even more progress under Gavin’s leadership and our talented team.
Thank you for your continued hard work.
Ian
25 July 2013

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »

Psst! Want some shares?

There's BS's granddad? ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I do come across that I'm 'touting' somewhat, but I want all our Kitz community to share in BT's continued successes, and make some cash at the same time.
<Disclaimer> Other share-holding companies are available to buy into, such as B4ARN.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

My thanks to BS for mentioning http://b4rn.org.uk/

However there are some fundamental differences with a Community Interest Company where the profits can only benefit the communities rather than the shareholders.
Although interest could be paid to shareholders in the future, shares can only be sold back to B4RN at their reasonable discretion.
It follows that a CIC cannot be subject to acquisition by others for any purpose.

I quote from:-

http://b4rn.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Intro_to_B4RN_Brochure_Issue1.0.pdf

B4RN has a completely different
priority and business model, it’s about delivering a
world class 1000Mbit/sec to every property in the
area no matter how remote, with all benefits going
back to the community and shareholders receiving
interest on their investment.

IMHO world class covers 1000 Mbit/sec symmetric services delivered over a dual diverse routed (over-sized) fibre infrastructure between all distribution nodes with adequate power supply back-up facilities and without the need for PSTN type telephone lines. Thus every premise in the area, without exception, is offered at least one service solely using noise-immune fibre direct into a CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) within the property. The CPE contains facilities for VOIP type telephone services often provided with a local battery back-up.

Also in general terms, I'm sure most realise that the value of all ordinary types of shares can go down as well as up.
Perhaps it should be noted too that there is some debate ongoing in some quarters over the types and quality of broadband services being provided across the entirety of the UK.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:33:44 AM by waltergmw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:13:09 AM »

There's definitely a place for B4RN, Walter. Just out of interest, as I can't find it anywhere, what is the average cost to the EU for service provision, and/or on-going rental/maintenance costs ??

I've said it on another thread on here somewhere, but I would say that 60% of EU's I personally come into contact with, will have procured VDSL services for the exact same monthly costs as ADSL. The only proviso that I'm being told, is that they sign-up to a 12/18 month contract.

"Perhaps it should be noted too that there is some debate ongoing in some quarters over the types and quality of broadband services being provided across the entirety of the UK".
Could you expand on that ?? The fact and figures I see tell a different story. Yes, it isn't perfect, but the feedback from the 'Vectoring' trials is very good at the minute. That in itself will boost speed and stability of OR's VDSL products. I wish I could post up the 'Power-point' presentation backing up my claims, but it is a controlled document at this moment in time, and therefore I can't and wont.

We need to understand that groups like B4RN are completely and utterly different to BTOR. They don't have to operate under the same extremely tight guidelines that we do. They are a non-profit making organisation. We on the other hand, are a FTSE 100 business that has to show continued profits as a duty to our shareholders. As such, we can't just throw silly money at a venture that would not show a return in a million years. Ventures like parts of rural Britain. That said, we have still invested hugely with our BDUK commitment. The main difference between B4RN and OR, is that we deliver to the masses, rather than the minorities.

I've asked this before, but for clarification, what would happen if any land disputes were to happen in an area under B4RN's jurisdiction ?? What if Farmer A demands the fibre-carrying duct across his field be removed ?? What happens when a Fibre cable gets cut, who repairs it and in what timescales ??

Believe me, these scenario's happen regularly. that is why we have a legal department involved primarily with 'Wayleaves' that give us the right to maintain our ducts and cables, regardless of land ownership. We can also respond and repair within hours of a reported cut cable. This is great peace of mind for our EU's.

As I stated at the beginning, I like B4RN and what they are achieving. But a large Telco they are not, and their product is based on mainly goodwill.  :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »

Hi BS,

Firstly please note I am only a shareholder and am not part of their management or operations teams even though I strongly support their aims.
It follows that my comments are only my own opinions and observations.

I will provide links to some information now but some of your other points require more attention than I can deal with at the moment.
(I am actually engaged in some serious DIY re-plumbing chez Walter for a little light relief. It makes a change to be wielding a blow-lamp again rather than crimp pliers !)

Some of your questions are answered here:-

http://b4rn.org.uk/services

http://b4rn.org.uk/learn-more

The business plan can be downloaded here:-

http://b4rn.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/B4RN-Business-Plan-v5-2.pdf

More anon.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »

Thanks for those links, Walter. Just had a quick perusal and it reinforces my thoughts that B4RN are doing great things. The views on provision and rental prices will differ, dependant on individuals circumstances. But I personally think that £150 connection fee is superbly pitched. £30 a month rental, would be a little too high for me to justify, but marketing techniques usually run along the lines of, 'For just £1 a day', or, 'For the cost of half a pint of Bitter, a day' ............ and make it sound more economically viable.

As I say, I've sped-read through the first 2 links so may have missed it ?, but is there scope for lea-way with the monthly rental ?? IE: For lets say £15 a month, would B4RN provide a half-Gig service ?? Even at 80Meg speeds myself, I can't see me needing anything higher for the foreseeable future, so feel a 1Gig service would be potentially wasted in my household.

I do still have concerns over the reactive side of B4RN's network, but I thank you for those links again, Walter. It is indeed a great product. :) 

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »

Meanwhile Digital Region seems to be having a less happy time
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5952-100-million-spent-on-broadband-network-to-serve-just-3-000-customers.html

So currently that's around £33000 installation cost subsidy per customer
and in effect a £300 per month running subsidy to each customer to provide the service

I suppose all those 3000 are delighted with the service and so they should be considering how much UK taxpayers are putting into it.....another £45m now it appears.

Ah well - it's just another public sector procurement disaster.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »

Yes, it does read like it's unfortunately become a white elephant. The 'numbers' are quite vulgar when it's broken down to CPJ level (Cost Per Job).  :no:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »

@ BS,

I shall offer a different perspective to comment upon some of your points above.

I'm pleased you realise they have a completely different operational philosophy although I doubt they would appreciate it being suggested that their service is just based upon good will, but perhaps I'm just misinterpreting your words. Necessity is the mother of invention and they've got fed up with dial-up !

I expect service costs will stay as they are at least until the major part of their network is complete.
One cluster are delayed at present due to ground nesting birds !
Given that in some cases they are achieving an 80 % acceptance, there is obviously a high demand; to some extent this is perhaps because all other (asymmetric) offerings are so dire.
(I'm sure you would agree that even if a FTTC service were available it would be quite impossible for those up on the fells in any case.
I know of a few in Surrey where the VDSL speeds are less than the ADSL ones. )
The topography and demography dictate that a symmetric point to point fibre is the only practical solution as it is not distance limited.
Once the operation is returning a surplus, shareholders will decide if they want to reduce their charges or donate money to other community projects.
(External shareholders who are not eligible for the installation discounts can also elect to pass that benefit on to a less fortunate member of the community.)

All landowners have signed a wayleave document so any future line diversions would be subject to reasonable negotiations.
As it is a community project any individual who became a nuisance would get some pointed comments from the remainder.
I believe there have been a couple of minor routing obstructions but the route has just been altered.
Those responsible might discover they have made a significant mistake as all their neighbours have completed the work-arounds !

Their whole operating philosophy is so different from traditional methods, many of the usual chores just don't apply.
Maintenance isn't yet a problem as fibre's not affected by damp, adjacent services, frequent joint opening, nor are most of the routes anywhere near other utility services in roads etc.
The delights of lift and shift or no spare pairs don't happen and there just isn't a PCP anywhere in sight.
If in the future a Milton Keynes of Lancashire arrived a new distribution node would just be added seamlessly with a link or two back to existing nodes and no problems caused by a GPON solution either.
Fibre in general only has two "enemies" a JCB and a "Cockermouth" type weather event. With a one span exception all their fibre is buried so most storm damage just doesn't happen.
In any case the dual diverse routing will allow the vast majority of services to continue uninterrupted.
The community always try to help as was the case the other day when a video failed to upload on a "traditional" business connection to a customer for three consecutive nights.
The disgruntled home-worker (who still awaits his new fibre) popped into the local fibre-enabled shop and the transfer was completed in 6 minutes.

It is still early days but they have already demonstrated quite astonishing resourcefulness in circumventing the few challenges they have experienced.
However fear-not ! They have no intention of competing with other urban telcos and just hope this approach is reciprocated as nobody else has anything comparable for a rural area available.

I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Walter

PS Note that these are my own observations and my views may differ from those of B4RN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:03:48 PM by waltergmw »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »

Meanwhile Digital Region seems to be having a less happy time
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5952-100-million-spent-on-broadband-network-to-serve-just-3-000-customers.html

So currently that's around £33000 installation cost subsidy per customer
and in effect a £300 per month running subsidy to each customer to provide the service

I suppose all those 3000 are delighted with the service and so they should be considering how much UK taxpayers are putting into it.....another £45m now it appears.

Ah well - it's just another public sector procurement disaster.

I'm one of the 3000  :)...if that figure is correct. ???

The biggest downfall with DR is..a) The advertising of their product was very poor and b) the small number of isps who are actually signed up to it.
I'm with Origin broadband and tbh many people in my area haven't even heard of them.As my exchange(Attercliffe) has not been upgraded for fttc(or does there seem any future plans to do so),then DR is my only option to get a decent connection.Before Origin I was with O2 getting around 2.5mb,now I get a 24/10 totally unlimited connection for £17.50 a month.
I am very happy with Origin but if other bigger isps were on the network I would of course consider them if the price/package was right. :)

anything