Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 hlog graph analysis  (Read 2674 times)

jjpearce05

HG612 hlog graph analysis
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

Hi,

I'm on quite a long line and have a sync speed of around 16Mb

Would be interested to hear peoples views on my line stats

Thanks !

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 hlog graph analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »

Hi jjpearce05 & welcome to the Kitz forum.

We can see from the Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan that you are connected to a Huawei DSLAM.

At Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan, we can see that only the first two bands can be used for both upstream & downstream.
However, attenuation is so high (no doubt due to line length), only a small part of the U1 band tones can be used for upstream bitloading & unfortunately, none of the D2 band tones for downstream bitloading.

DLM has switched on DS Interleaving at quite a low depth of 261 & is still OFF for US (value of 1).

The QLN graph shows that your connection doesn't suffer from a great deal of 'noise' interference.
Around -140 dBm is considered to be very quiet.

Your SNRM levels are more or less around the target of 6dB, so it soesn't appear that there is really much/any scope to increase sync speeds.

What is your line length from the cabinet?

Mine is around 1000m or in length & you can see from my QLN graph that my line is noisier than yours (probably due to crosstalk from other connections).

My sync speeds are a little higher than yours though & my connection has been on fastpath since DS sync speed was lowered from around 30Mbps to just over 20 Mbps.

If you have any concerns about your connection's stability, it would be worth switching on the 24/7 monitoring to get a picture of how it performs over a period of time.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:01:47 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

jjpearce05

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback

My line is around 0.9 miles as measured by car !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »

Around 1500m then, plus a bit more for slack in joint chambers & up/down poles etc.

In that case, it looks like your connection's performing pretty well.

Which speed of service are you subscribed to?
Mine's 40/10 (80/20 would be a complete waste of time & additional expense on my 1000m connection).

Testing via my ISP (Plusnet) has proven that I could get slightly higher DS sync speeds & throughput if I switched back to a 40/2 service, but as I work from home a lot, as much upstream speed as possible is important for me.

How long have you been connected (since FTTC was installed) & do you know if many other users are already connected?

I'm afraid it is likely to deteriorate as additional users are connected via your cabinet (crosstalk issues).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »

I'm afraid it is likely to deteriorate as additional users are connected via your cabinet (crosstalk issues).

Hi BE1  ;)  what would a user look out for in the stats if crosstalk was becoming an issue ? not that I have this issue as it's a small exchange 1500 customers and not very many FTTC customers as most here are well into there retirement age (Silver Surfers)  :-X

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »

One indicator would be the degradation in the QLN graph over a period of time.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »

One indicator would be the degradation in the QLN graph over a period of time.

thanks BC

but you would need to look back at the current Graphs to see the QLN changes, wonder if this could be implemented in the ongoing graphs in some way !

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

QLN & Hlog data is only ever updated during the training up phase of a sync/resync.
If using the newer firmware BLOB, so is bitloading.

There didn't seem much point in logging/recording definitely unchanging data every minute via ongoing harvesting.

In any case, the ongoing log is updated by time (each minute) whereas the current/snapshot data is recorded by frequency/tone whenever it is harvested.

So, no. I don't have any current plans to attempt incorporating QLN data into the ongoing harvesting/graphing programs.

I have had a quick look at a couple of your graphs & QLN has hardly changed at all over a period of approximately 12 months.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »

I have had a quick look at a couple of your graphs & QLN has hardly changed at all over a period of approximately 12 months.

The HG612 Stats/logs/Graphs is the best peice of software I have ever installed (apart from the ZX Spectum Morse Code translator) it's a must for any FTTC user out there whishing to understand how it works & what the heck is going on and still way after 12 months I am only starting to understand what I see on screen via stats and being able to translate this stuff into a physical insight from the FTTC CAB to the Modem inside my house.

Excellent ! no wonder BT locked the Modem its full of info and used in the right hands it can be an invaluable tool to look into FTTC BroadBand issues .

jjpearce05

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »

Around 1500m then, plus a bit more for slack in joint chambers & up/down poles etc.

In that case, it looks like your connection's performing pretty well.

Which speed of service are you subscribed to?
Mine's 40/10 (80/20 would be a complete waste of time & additional expense on my 1000m connection).

Testing via my ISP (Plusnet) has proven that I could get slightly higher DS sync speeds & throughput if I switched back to a 40/2 service, but as I work from home a lot, as much upstream speed as possible is important for me.

How long have you been connected (since FTTC was installed) & do you know if many other users are already connected?

I started on bt broadband option 3 with fibre. I've been connected for about 2 years. When profile 17a was introduced, I peaked at around 20/2 and its slowly dropped off ....

At that time I was moved to plain old Infinity (40/10)

anything