Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft tells government agencies about bugs in its OS's before patching them!  (Read 1461 times)

jabns

• Reg Member

Hi all,

I have been busy with business for the last couple of years but hopefully I should be able to get back on a bit more often now. Can't believe its been nearly 3 years!

Just thought I would share this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms.html

The bit I found scary was the fact that Microsoft are releasing bug information to agencies before patching there OS's. If they could write an exploit before the patch was released I would hate to hazard a guess at how many devices would be vulnerable to the remote code execution.

One more reason not to use closed source propriatory software  :no:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:05:38 AM by jabns »

ryant704

• Reg Member

Yea, but that is very low compared to some of the others which have been released.

Like a backdoor in Skype that Microsoft put in for the NSA, they claim it's to stop terrorists. Must be one dumb terrorist to contact each other via "Skype".

Also, it's also believed the new Encryption standard has a backdoor for the NSA, cannot remember which standard of the top of my head has but it's so the NSA can read encrypted files.

Though none of this is new to me, I've expected similar not to this scale but hey. The more people improve security the more we will become paranoid of other groups and countries and implement these ludicrous security procedures. There is no way PRISM, Tempar, Etc are operating within the framework of the law.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:46:00 PM by ryant704 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Hi jabs, nice to see you again :)

A bit off topic, but whats your connection(s) doing these days?   You still with Be/Sky?

---
Edit I can see that you may well be, I'll PM you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:12:54 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker