Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Leaving Be*  (Read 34615 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »

Just to add... this morning the 585v7 was showing:

DSL Type G.992.5 Annex M US 56
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) (kbps/kbps) 1,988 / 22,700
Bandwidth (Up/Down) (kbps/kbps) 1,995 / 19,915

So that suggests the line had Annex M after the switchover this morning and when using the 585v7, but not the Belkin N1 Vision...  :no:

Is there nowhere in the belkin if you can see which Annex its using?

Another thing to note - which possibly isnt applicable in your case - but with migrations coming in to PN from LLU they sometimes order adsl2 than apply annex-m as a separate process.   Having seen annex m with the 585v7 I'd be tempted to double check that you are showing as annex-m on their systems.
Finally bear in mind theres no default 3dB profile with BTw - its 6dB.    I think PN can request it, but you will always be subject to the DLM variations.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:29 AM »

Looked around everywhere but can't find anything that shows a mode beyond "ADSL2+" in the router, Kitz. It looks to me like my old N1 Vision doesn't support Annex M - the specs from Belkin look very uncertain now I look back, although I did buy it many years ago before even knowing of BE or higher ADSL speeds so not really all that surprised.

Re-connecting my BE 585v7 I'm getting Annex M, so it's definitely on the line, but I can't get any websites to load - I'd imagine it is getting confused with two possible internet destinations and trying to use some BE settings, even though my PC and wifi devices are set to use other DNS servers.

DSL Type:   G.992.5 Annex M US 56

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   2,004 / 22,704

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   2,011 / 19,919

It seems I've got both the ETHoA default BE connection there and the Internet_PPP one that they recently added to BE Boxes for the Sky migration. That is connecting to PN and is obtaining my PN IP address, but simply refuses to connect to any sites.

The BE Box shows:

>Internet_PPP   

Type:   PPPoA

Uptime:   0 days, 0:03:30

IP Address:   *my new PN ip address*

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [B/kB]:   702 / 5.26

--------------

> Internet   

Type:   ETHoA

Uptime:   0 days, 0:03:35

IP Address:   *my old BE ip address*

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/B]:   11.01 / 0

BE appear to have locked down the firmware with the latest version they've installed, and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the old connection leaving just the Internet_PPP one that would otherwise work fine.

So time for a new router, especially seeing as I'm paying extra specifically to get the Annex M upload rate.

Sync seems slower on the line connected to BT Openreach, but maybe that'll improve over the first 10 days? Ping is also lower on PN and everything seems more responsive than BE, although the TBB quality monitor is showing far more yellow (double the standard ping) constantly all evening and it hasn't dropped off after midnight. Overall I'm very happy so far though with the PN connection compared with BE and just need to sort out the router!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

anything