Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Leaving Be*  (Read 34605 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

BTW

I noticed yesterday that the DLM seemed to turn interleaving off, it may or may not be a co-incidence, but looking back on DSLstats, it possibly occurred some time around the drop in PPP session, as Ive not had any recorded FECs since then.

Secondly Ive also just noticed that my intermittent EMI/REIN/upstream line fault appears to be back  :'(   Ive taken that back to the other thread.

Was Interleaving ever on, Kitz ?? I've just viewed your 'Service Profile History' and there is only one 'event' logged since the connection was made live. That is 128K-80M with interleaving switched off on both US and DS ??
Something weird though, as it's showing your circuit 'out of synch' at this particular time ?? Have you unplugged it ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »

>> Was Interleaving ever on, Kitz

On the first day it was according to the first set of stats I pulled

Code: [Select]
ath 1
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 79999 20000 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 108 0 0 0
HEC errors 17 0 0 0

Ive not had any on Sat or today though, but saying that Ive been switched off since about.. umm 5.30ish?

It dawned on me that the Quinn guy had removed my NTE 2000 plate did whatever wiring, then plugged my phone straight into that socket.   Whilst dad was here he helped me move the furniture and Ive taken some piccies.   Need to get them off the camera yet.   

Done some tidying up of wiring because the set up that he left me with was impossible to work with so got a longer modem cable, and the router and modem are now located where I wanted them to be in the first place (ie the logical solution next to the wall where a BToR guy should have been able to put an NTE for me.)   Still not managed to sort out the drawer situation though, Ive tried tacking the cable up, but I have an obstruction with opening the drawer :(

I'll post the pics later and perhaps someone can suss out what hes done.  From what I can see it looks like hes running back to the location of the old NTE on the orange and white pair. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »

Was Interleaving ever on, Kitz ?? I've just viewed your 'Service Profile History' and there is only one 'event' logged since the connection was made live. That is 128K-80M with interleaving switched off on both US and DS ??

That's what was reported when DLM was recently reset/re-calculated for my connection (but at 40M instead of 80M).
However, my modem did report low depths of interleaving (11 DS & 6 US) until DLM kicked in the following day when Interleaving was completely switched off again (depths of 1 for both DS & US).

As in Kitz's case, some FEC/RSCorr errors were also reported during the short period when inteleaving was on at low depths (see the attached), so it does cast some slight doubt on how wide open the wide open profile mentioned in SIN498 actually is these days.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »

>> Was Interleaving ever on, Kitz

On the first day it was according to the first set of stats I pulled

Code: [Select]
ath 1
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 79999 20000 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 108 0 0 0
HEC errors 17 0 0 0

Ive not had any on Sat or today though, but saying that Ive been switched off since about.. umm 5.30ish?

I have just realised, those stats are from the HG612's GUI aren't they?

If so, you'll have to ignore the reported CRC/FEC errors as Huawei's programming for the GUI is actually flawed.

The correct data is obtained directly via telnet (--pbParams & --stats) or via Eric's or my programs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »

^ oh...  sorry wasnt aware of that.  May be a wrong assumption on my part having seen the FEC error count.   Ive not seen any since.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »

Hi Kitz (and everyone!), probably a username you remember from long ago on ADSLguide  :)

My apologies for bringing up an old topic that hasn't been posted on for a while, but it seems to exactly match my issue and I've not found another more suitable.

I too am just about to migrate from BE to PlusNet, and have had a similar issue. As some background, I'm only migrating the broadband (ADSL2+) from BE to PlusNet, and the phone line is staying BT.

On Tuesday night (21/01) I requested my MAC from BE, and that arrived by email on Wednesday morning.
Last night (22/01) I placed an order for PN Business Unlimited and supplied my Mac code
This morning (23/01) I received an email from PN saying that the broadband will be activated on the 30/01, and a text saying the same. I also received a text from BE saying my broadband will be terminated on 29/01 (a day before the PN date?) and email from BE saying "BT has told us that there is an ongoing cease for your landline. The cease date is 29/01/2014".

Plusnet tell me there isn't anything showing in their system that would have caused that and it all looks fine to them, but they (understandably) can't see anything about the phone line side of things as it isn't with them, but they also fully understood the concern and issues that a cease could cause.

They've suggested calling BT and BE to find out what is going on (I'm not the BT line payer so that's going to be fun to explain that one to them as they'll no doubt not want to talk to me, but it is another person in the same household so at least it shouldn't be too difficult...), but before I call them, can anyone here confirm if the BE email is purely a worrying spurious message that doesn't mean very much in the situation I've described above, or if it's the first signs of something that has gone very wrong and the best way for me to solve it (eg: who actually needs to sort it out of the 3 companies)

PN also mentioned that the date on the order is actually down as the 28th (the date the sign up process let me pick) and then also said the 29th, but neither of those dates seem to match up with the 30th that was sent by email and text this morning, so confusion all round there for me...

Thanks,

Simon

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »

This is a well-known "bug" in the Be systems and there's a fair bit of comment about it in their forums.
If you contact Be to check they will tell you there's nothing to worry about. And it obviously isn't going to get fixed.

I'm a few days behind you - asked for my MAC from Be (Sky call centre though) today and will head back to PlusNet ASAP.
I'm on BT for phone as well and am not changing that.

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »

Just phoned BT, they can't see any cease on the account, but also can't see any migration taking place for broadband - they feel this is because I'm not migrating to BT so don't know anything about it...

So then phoned BE, and they say that the account will be cancelled on the 29th and that they've received notification from BT that the landline is being ceased and that's the reason why they are going to cancel the broadband account on that date as they would then have no way to provide broadband without the phone line existing.

The suggestion is to call PN or BT (which I've already done, and they both suggested calling the others)

So I'm none the wiser and it seems BE are convinced the landline is being ceased. Is the same BT/BE/Plusnet three always the issue with this from what you've seen, or does it also affect BT/BE/otherISP?

Same as you HPsauce, my MAC request from BE was through to a Sky call centre. Thankfully no attempt to "sell" to me, especially once they'd checked the account and seen it was down as a business package, and the call lasted about 4 minutes total including the menus and a short wait - hopefully I'll never have to call Sky again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »

It might be advantageous to send a PM to both Chris Parr and Bob Pullen, asking that they perform a manual status check at "their end".  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »

Hi Simon..  long time indeed :)

>> I received an email from PN saying that the broadband will be activated on the 30/01,

Check the email - I was confused by it too as iirc it says midnight.  It means connected by 00:00:01 on the 30th, or midnight on the 30th.. or what I'd call by 23:59:59 on the 29th.   I think theres a debate about it somewhere on their forums about how theyve confused many people by the way they use the term midnight.  You'd have to check but Id say that BT should be doing the work on the 29th. 

>>> "BT has told us that there is an ongoing cease for your landline. The cease date is 29/01/2014".

BE Still sending out the same useless and confusing emails :(

Plusnet should be able to tell today if there really is a cease on your line.   I chased around the houses with BT who eventually confirmed it too. 
I'd call PN later this evening when queues should be less busy (they are a bit busy atm whilst still setting up the Leeds call center) and who ever you speak to should have time to be able to double check their/BT systems, which is what they did for me.

Good luck.
-----

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »

Thank you! I have finally found a topic on the PN forum that seems to be the one you were referring to Kitz, and posted here to complete the loop for anyone else that may face the same issue in future: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117199.0.html

Seems this is another known issue where they are giving a written date everywhere (order tracker, text, email) which suggests after 12:00pm (isn't that midday/lunchtime anyway?) on the day after the migration is meant to be taking place. The PlusNet message "Your broadband order should complete on 30th Jan 2014 - After 12pm" strongly suggests it'll happen after midday on the 30th - quite why they've not said "Your broadband order should complete by 29th Jan 2014 - Before 23:59pm" I don't know?! However even that thread suggests that the date PN thought it'd happen wasn't and it happened the next day - worrying.

So looks like I'll be migrating on the 29th, which matches what PN told me on the phone on Thursday and what BE said is the date "something is happening on the line" and when they are going to switch their account off.

They don't make this ISP migration thing easy do they...

:fingers:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:12:15 PM by fenlandbroadband »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »

Cheers for the link, I think its a similar one as mine would have been before that date.   Just shows its confusing.  ???

>>  They don't make this ISP migration thing easy do they..

You know sometimes it may be one heck of a lot easier if we knew nothing.   That way we would go into a blind panic when the term "cease" is banded around.  :D

>> looks like I'll be migrating on the 29th,

Yep I agree.   Good luck :)
-----

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

The migration has taken place - dropped at 8:30am today and wasn't back up when I got home this evening but had been synced with the exchange all day (the remote vendor hardware ID had changed to IFTN which was a good clue I'd moved back to BT Openreach and the 21CN kit.

A quick call to PlusNet this evening, on their business support line (no long waits thankfully!) and they checked and instantly activated it, and now I'm up and running. However...  I only seem to be getting Upstream rate = 1219 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21358 Kbps but I've paid for Annex M - on BE I was getting 1.96Mbps on speedtest.net, so my line should definitely be seeing higher than I'm getting at the moment. Only change is that I've gone from the BE Box router (585v7 - it synced and connected via the Internet_PPP and the PN login details but didn't let me get anywhere on the web - could only ping PN DNS servers?) to my old Belkin N1 that I used to use. As far as I know the Belkin N1 Vision is Annex M upload compatible...?

Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1219 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21358 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:         ADSL2+
Channel:      Fast
Trellis:      U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:      No Defect
Training Status:   Showtime
      Down      Up
SNR (dB):   6.1      6.5
Attn(dB):   9.0      4.2
Pwr(dBm):   0.0      12.1
Max(Kbps):   24172      1216
Rate (Kbps):   21358      1219

fenlandbroadband

• Just arrived
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »

Just to add... this morning the 585v7 was showing:

DSL Type G.992.5 Annex M US 56
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) (kbps/kbps) 1,988 / 22,700
Bandwidth (Up/Down) (kbps/kbps) 1,995 / 19,915

So that suggests the line had Annex M after the switchover this morning and when using the 585v7, but not the Belkin N1 Vision...  :no:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

I'm now actively in this same process, and have had the same "scary" message from Be.  :angel:
My migration is set for 3rd, or is it 4th February - next Monday/Tuesday. As noted above the dates are confusing.

I'll be ready whatever, with more routers than any household really needs I can cover all the angles. :lol:
(I'll be throwing a few out next week  8) )
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:44:14 PM by HPsauce »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything