Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Leaving Be*  (Read 34610 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »

This is just one thread in the Plusnet forum that mentions the issue:-

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114808.msg989806.html#msg989806

Bob P mentions a known 8 minutes issue, but I have seen other users' posts here & there that mention up to 15 minutes for their connections.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »

Its a 3B,  Ive stood it on its side for now and it seems a lot better than when it was flat.

Best of all, if it's practical for you, is to mount it on the wall. That's how it's intended to be mounted, and it will be cooler that way.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »

This is just one thread in the Plusnet forum that mentions the issue:-

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114808.msg989806.html#msg989806

Bob P mentions a known 8 minutes issue, but I have seen other users' posts here & there that mention up to 15 minutes for their connections.
Of course, thank you BE for reminding me of this.  :-[ I was of course referring to the time it normally takes IME, and even then I wasn't including the time for the router (TG582n) itself to boot (which is another minute or so if that is required), but just the time from when the PTM path becomes available.  As Kitz had so many  disconnects yesterday, she may well have fallen foul of the stale PPP connection.  But if it is happening like that in other circumstances then there is definitely something wrong.  I did wonder in passing if using a non-PN DNS at that point in the sequence would cause delays, but not of that order, I would hope?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

and whilst I was typing this I lost internet ..  It took at least 12 mins to come back up.   Lost internet..  not sync.

This is what it says in the router interface when it goes down
Link Status:   Connecting...

This is my Internet uptime from the TG582n
Uptime:   0 days, 0:02:53

and sync uptime from the HG612
DSL up time    13324  13324 seconds = 3.7 hrs
So if the modem itself has not resync'ed (up time=3.7hrs), then it looks like the you are losing the PPP connection (router up time=~3mins) instead for some reason.  If so, then perhaps a number of yesterday's problems (e.g. when it was perhaps the PPP connection that dropped out rather than the modem) will not even have been noticed by DLM.  Doesn't help much I know, but at least DLM shouldn't (I hope) 'punish' you for it.  It also gives evidence supporting why you may be falling foul of the 'stale' PPP connection issue BE has pointed to.
If you can stand it, you could try to diagnose it by manually disconnecting & reconnecting the PPP connection from within the Internet page of the TG582n.  You should also get info there about the PN concentrator and gateway(s) you get connected to.  This mau help to finger one that is causing you this grief.  HTH

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »

Yes!

So.... I appear to be syncing at the 79,999 kbps (as predicted by BE)
...  and thats with an SNRm of 12dB & Interleaved.....  and on the end of 25m of dodgy internal wiring.

Well that was an unexpected turn up for the books.    The BT estimate was 62 Mbps   :clap:

It may be interesting to see your --pbParams data (that's where we can see attenuation, power & SNRM values per band plan).

It appears that an engineer's JDSU can report these, but the usual screen engineers use reports single values for the connection.
We now believe these single values are simply taken from the lowest frequency DS & US band plan, so don't always paint the whole picture (example attached).

For good measure, it may also be interesting to see your --stats data (amongst other data, that will show Interleaving depth, INP & delay etc.

Now that a large chunk of copper has probably been removed from the equation (from cabinet back to the exchange), it may also be interesting to see if your recent fluctuating stats have been eliminated.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:49:39 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »

I've been using a 3B version for 3/4 months now and I've not had any problems heat wise. It's cool 24/7, actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

As for the TG582n it doesn't actually support a VDSL2 [1] connection, what authenticate process type are you using?

I'm assuming if you don't have an option it's PPPoEoA, this could be the reason why it takes a while to authenticate as it shouldn't try and authenticate at the ATM level.

[1]http://www.technicolor.com/uploads/associated_materials/ds_technicolor_tg582n.pdf

Never mind forgot you are using it as a router! Though are you trying to authenticate via PPPoE?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:06:39 AM by ryant704 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »

>>> This is just one thread in the Plusnet forum that mentions the issue:-

Hmm interesting thank you.  May have to add something over on the portal forums.

>>> Best of all, if it's practical for you, is to mount it on the wall.

Will do some rejigging later cause Im still at the cable all over the place stage which needs tidying up... although tbh I dont think I like the idea of wall mounting.  Longer term, Id love to get an all in one unit, but that could be a while yet.

>>> then perhaps a number of yesterday's problems (e.g. when it was perhaps the PPP connection that dropped out rather than the modem) will not even have been noticed by DLM.

Earlier yesterday definitely were sync.  I was following the instructions on page 10 of the Plusnet troubleshooter booklet.  I couldnt get authenticated on to the PN network at all.   I worked my way through everything suggested in that booklet including a factory reset of the router.   Each time it suggests switching the BT modem off for 30 seconds.

Each and everytime authentication seems to take ages.  I will investigate further and do some proper logging.
Ive no idea why I lost the ppp session last night, but its a PITA when you have to wait ages before you can use the connection again because of trying to authenticate.

>>> It may be interesting to see your --pbParams data

Code: [Select]
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 35667 Kbps, Downstream rate = 101660 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:      35667 kbps        101660 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        5.3 dBm          14.3 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  0.8     17.9    29.2     N/A    11.1    24.5    38.8

Signal Attenuation(dB):  0.9     17.8    29.0     N/A    11.1    24.5    38.8

SNR Margin(dB):  15.8    16.3    15.7     N/A    11.5    12.1    11.8

TX Power(dBm): -4.8    -25.3    4.8      N/A    12.0    7.4     7.2

#

As mentioned I will try some proper testing/logging later..  but since the sun is shining today... I hope to get out in to my garden this afty,  Ive not had chance to enjoy any of this weeks lovely weather yet :)   :sun:

Touch wood so far my SNRm has flatlined according to DSLstats .  Upstream SNRM is a nice steady 15.8 with occasional 15.9 dB and downstream a totally unwavering 11.8 dB. 
My connection hasnt been that steady, for that long, in weeks...  so lets hope it was the Be MSAN. 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:19:26 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »

Our posts crossed
I'm assuming if you don't have an option it's PPPoEoA, this could be the reason why it takes a while to authenticate as it shouldn't try and authenticate at the ATM level.
Never mind forgot you are using it as a router! Though are you trying to authenticate via PPPoE?

Type:   PPPoE
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »

I'm assuming you are one of the first on the cabinet, maybe the problem isn't your end?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »

Dont seem to have any problems with sync, just authentication on to the ISPs network.  This would perhaps appear to be a PN or router issue.
The cab has been enabled for a few months, but I wasnt in a position to jump earlier.  However, a little birdie told me that Im on the 25th port.  ;)
-----

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

I know your sync is fine, what I mean is your ISP (PN) haven't had a real end customer to test it. Maybe they have a few settings wrong there end, by first I mean so you will be the first to experience this. Possibly the first PN port?

I would contact PN, they have good customer service so shouldn't take you long!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:16:44 PM by ryant704 »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »

Possibly the first PN port?
They've had quite a few, some having rather tricky "issues" along the way  >:D , but none that I've seen reported at the final stage like this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »

>>> What model is it Kitz?

Its a 3B,  Ive stood it on its side for now and it seems a lot better than when it was flat.

Perhaps you could do a 'Blue Peter' and make a stand (out of the base of a washing-up liquid bottle) to hold it vertical? The best cooling occurs when the long edge is the uppermost horizontal, meaning that the cables exit from the bottom.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

Earlier yesterday definitely were sync.  I was following the instructions on page 10 of the Plusnet troubleshooter booklet.  I couldnt get authenticated on to the PN network at all.   I worked my way through everything suggested in that booklet including a factory reset of the router.   Each time it suggests switching the BT modem off for 30 seconds.
That's terrible!  :o
a factory reset of the router
That's the PN equivalent of 'please reinstall Windows' then?  :'(
Each time it suggests switching the BT modem off for 30 seconds
Please don't do that from now on. :no:  DLM monitors that number of resyncs by examining the recorded up time in each 15 mins time slot.  If there was 15 mins up-time in one time slot, and less than 15 mins in the next then it would record that a 'forced (i.e. unsolicited) resync' had occurred.  If at least two time slots back-to-back have no up time, it will (should  :-X) determine that this was a solicited resync e.g. following the EU powering down the line, and ignore it for the purposes of determining instability.
I know that Asbo has proved on another thread that (becuase of 'last gasp' communications between the modem and the DSLAM - at least the Huawei ones!) that powering it down prevents line-errors being recorded, which you would otherwise get if you just unplugged it from the line (either at the modem or NTE), which DLM would frown on.
At the other end of the spectrum from that which you are currently experiencing with your PN PPPoE, quite often (becuase the TG firmware has the wrong PPP timeouts set by PN) a modem resync will not be detected by PN's RADIUS servers, as it happens too quickly within the PPP timeout - But DLM has seen it (rather like the garden shed in Bill & Ben)!!!!!  :lol:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

>>> What model is it Kitz?

Perhaps you could do a 'Blue Peter' and make a stand (out of the base of a washing-up liquid bottle) to hold it vertical? The best cooling occurs when the long edge is the uppermost horizontal, meaning that the cables exit from the bottom.

FWIW, my HG612 modem(s) have been stood on the desk on their short edge, simply leaning against the wall at a slight angle for over 2 years now & all versions have run pretty cool - even when the room gets very warm.

This includes the old version B modem that supposedly experienced overheating problems:-

If/when I ever get round to refurbishing my office, the HG612 will be wall mounted, with the cables exiting from the bottom.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7