Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Leaving Be*  (Read 34607 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »

>>> Easier (and cheaper) to remove the SSFP and use a dongle!

I may do that..  I also have an adsl filtered faceplate (ADSL V1.0) which I may be able to incorporate?
I also need to check what was done this am..  but I have a sneaky feeling its similar to this.   Not going further on that until I have chance to pull the book case out to get to where the original NTE was.   Ive only just put the books back in an hour ago and killed my back moving it, so may have to wait a bit on that before I start making claims.

>>>   DLM will not interven until the NEXT day (assuming sync has been achieved).

Thank you vm for that information.

Im now on a mission to put the huawei on tonight and scratting around for the right links  :D
I think Ive now got Bald Eagle's scripts - need to read the instructions.
Confirmed that the huawei seems to be successfully unlocked with Asbo's FW

okies...  here we go... wish me luck...  lol not sure if I should be trying today..  but wth :D

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

Reproduction of the SIN is permitted only in its entirety, to disseminate information on the BT Network within your organisation. You must not edit or amend any SIN or reproduce extracts. You must not remove BT trademarks, notices, headings or copyright markings.

However, this is the jist of it:-

DLM constantly monitors & manages connections for as long as the product exists in order to balance speed & stability.

When first installed, the connections starts on a wide open profile, allowing US & DS speeds to run at the chosen service's upper limit

DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected during the first day of service.
Otherwise, it will will wait until the 2nd before deciding if intervtion is necessary as long as the connection has been in sync for at least 15 minutes during the first day.

If DLM does intervene it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate.
The reason for the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, the line is likely to remain at a very low rate until a re-train is forced by the user by powering off the modem.

We have experienced 'stuck' profiles, sometimes for many weeks, even following engineering works where the source of the initial 'fault(s)' have been eliminated.

On these occasions, an engineer visit is required to check line conditions again & assuming everything is still O.K. a DLM reset (or re-calculation) can be requested by the engineer.

DLM sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered with by ISPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.
Indeed, with only one exception that I am aware of, any attempts to tweak SNR and/or sync speeds via the modem have been unsuccessful.

Despite monitoring quite a number of connections, we still don't really know what is classed as instability severe enough to cause DLM to take corrective action on day one.

We are also unsure of the details of what causes DLM to take action at other times (usually between 04:00 & 06:00, when it is assumed a resync at a lower speed, possibly applying interleaving will have the least disruptive effect).

e.g. following a recent engineer's visit to investigate sustained lower speeds, DLM was reset/re-calculated at around 16:00 on this profile for my connection:-

0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving OFF - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Interleaving OFF

Actual sync speeds were only DS 20308 Kbps, US 4872 Kbps

According to my connection stats, DLM kicked in at 04:45 the following morning, setting this profile:-

12.5M-25 Downstream, Interleaving OFF - 3M-6M Upstream, Interleaving OFF

DLM then set a slightly lower profile at 06:15 the same morning, :-

12.5M-25 Downstream, Interleaving OFF - 2.5M-5M Upstream, Interleaving OFF, which Plusnet advise me is still active.

It is currently in sync at DS 19023 Kbps, US 4333 Kbps.

So, a few infrequent resyncs during day one will probably not have much of an effect & it would be 'useful' to grab some connection stats for baseline data, just in case.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »

There was a lot of syncs earlier in the day.  I even tried a full reset of the router to factory settings :/

Ok Im online with the Huawei, cant seem to access the interface though
"The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond"

Ive set this PC's IP to 192.168.1.100, have I missed anything?

Speedtest is , so I may have lost a bit of sync speed.

----

edited to add, cant get online (internet)at all if I use port 2
... and does it always take about 15mins to get ISP internet access after a change of setttings?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:26:01 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »

Yep. indeed. Quite a lot to do with that... and yes it was submitted by PN to BTw as HWS.

...  and Im sorry but Im outa here now... Ive really had enough for today...   but I'll leave you with this..

which was the location of an old LJU1 - if you look closely you can still see what was its center hole slightly to the left. 
This is connected by 25m of telephone cable - not CAT5 - to the site where the old NTE was.   The drawer opened easily over the LJU, but the VDSL socket is nearly 4cm deeper.   Bear this in mind when planning for vdsl. 
I still need to tack the modem cable out of the way and put the suspension files back in the drawer.

On the faceplate it should say instead of Openreach...Doesn't open,reach in. ;D

On a serious note,the clown who fitted the faceplate should have checked if the drawer opened..or perhaps he did and made a quick exit  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »

>>> .Doesn't open,reach in    :lol: :lol:

>>> or perhaps he did and made a quick exit

In all fairness That is kind of my fault...  Id removed the drawer because last night Id drilled bore holes ready to run extension cable where I wanted it to go. 
All the cabling and electric sockets are hidden under and behind that drawer, and the new holes I drilled allowed a nice run of about 1.5 m cable which would have reached the outside wall direct above where the old NTE was.  The drawer was out so provide easy access and trying to make things easy so he could hook up the old LJU to the new NTE.  This wasnt used in the end because he couldnt run external cable. By attempting to make things easy, the obvious wasnt spotted.  I never dreamed that the old extension would be converted to the NTE :(
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »

There was a lot of syncs earlier in the day.  I even tried a full reset of the router to factory settings :/

Ok Im online with the Huawei, cant seem to access the interface though
"The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond"

Ive set this PC's IP to 192.168.1.100, have I missed anything?

What's your ROUTER's IP address & how are you physically connecting the modem/PC/ROUTER?

Speedtest is , so I may have lost a bit of sync speed.

----

That's only throughput & doesn't necessarily mean a loss of sync speed.

What's your IP Profile from the further diagnostics at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

edited to add, cant get online (internet)at all if I use port 2
... and does it always take about 15mins to get ISP internet access after a change of setttings?

The modem's LAN1 port provides internet access & its LAN2 port provides access to its stats.

I have a Netgear WNR1000v3 ROUTER & it takes around 6 minutes or so to regain internet access.
I believe it does take up to 15 minutes when using the Technicolor ROUTER.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

Okay Im trying to get some first day stats, before the day is over.

Not sure what Ive done wrong.   

I can connect to the Huawei on LAN port 2 direct from my PC if the IP is static set to 192.168.1.100  - Huawei had no DSL at this point.

Now I have the Huawei -> PN router -> PC

Router is plugged in Lan1 of the modem.   
Router IP 192.168.1.254
PC IP 192.168.1.100

-----------

I was just about to hit send and I saw your reply.

IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

>>>  & its LAN2 port provides access to its stats.

Ok Im being thick now.... so I cant access the internet and line stats at the same time :doh:  ??? ?
So how do the scripts work if the LAN card on the PC is connected to the TG582n for internet access?

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »

I don't want to sound competitive, but you can use DSLstats with the HG612 - that's the device the program was originally developed for.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

Okay Im trying to get some first day stats, before the day is over.

Not sure what Ive done wrong.   

I can connect to the Huawei on LAN port 2 direct from my PC if the IP is static set to 192.168.1.100  - Huawei had no DSL at this point.

Now I have the Huawei -> PN router -> PC

Router is plugged in Lan1 of the modem.   
Router IP 192.168.1.254
PC IP 192.168.1.100

-----------

I was just about to hit send and I saw your reply.

IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

As IP Profile is 96.79% of sync speed, that IP Profile means it is currently in sync at 80 Mbps - more likely to be 79999 Kbps(assuming a new PPP session has updated the IP Profile).

>>>  & its LAN2 port provides access to its stats.

Ok Im being thick now.... so I cant access the internet and line stats at the same time :doh:  ??? ?
So how do the scripts work if the LAN card on the PC is connected to the TG582n for internet access?

To access the internet & stats at the same time from the same PC, an ethernet cable needs to run from the MODEM's LAN2 port to a spare ROUTER port.

Once you have that set up, you can access the modem's GUI from any PC connected to the network, either via ethernet or wirelessly.

Alternatively you could connect wirelessly for internet access (dynamically allocated IP address) & a direct ethernet PC to modem connection (fixed IP address of 192.168.1.xxx).

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:18:29 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »

I don't want to sound competitive, but you can use DSLstats with the HG612 - that's the device the program was originally developed for.

Thank you eric  :flower:  The problem I seem to be having is connecting to the HG612 from the PC :(

Ok have some line stats...   I have a Laptop here that I was supposed to be fixing today, so just hooked that up to LAN2, grabbed the stats, then put it back on the network.

Code: [Select]
Mode VDSL2 
Traffic type PTM 
DSL synchronization status Up 
DSL up time 4758 

Line Status
Help
  Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 101664 35452
SNR margin (dB) 11.8 15.7
Line attenuation (dB) 0 0
Output power (dBmV) 14.3 5.3

Statistics
Help

Path 0
Path 1
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 79999 20000 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 108 0 0 0
HEC errors 17 0 0 0

To access the internet & stats at the same time from the same PC, an ethernet cable needs to run from the MODEM's LAN2 port to a spare ROUTER port.

Thank you thank you!   That is the info I needed and hadnt seen mention of anywhere else.   Id sussed that it was something to do with LAN2 but just didnt know what...  okies, now I know what to do to get continuous stats  :thumbs:

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »

Yes!

Thank you very much all involved for your help.
It looks like dslstats is successfully logging my stats atm :clap2:

It is quite easy when you know how and if all the needed info is in one place.  ::)  The one bit of missing info I didnt have was adding a 2nd LAN cable between the Huawei and the router.

-------------------

So.... I appear to be syncing at the 79,999 kbps (as predicted by BE)
...  and thats with an SNRm of 12dB & Interleaved.....  and on the end of 25m of dodgy internal wiring.

Well that was an unexpected turn up for the books.    The BT estimate was 62 Mbps   :clap:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:53:52 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »

btw has anyone else noticed the Huawei runs a heck of a lot hotter than the ECI?
The ECI has been on all day and in heat.  The Huawei had only been on about 15mins not even connected to DSL and I noticed it was a lot hotter than the ECI.

--

15 mins to get a gateway with the TG582n is a PITA add on top of that the sync up time, and youre talking 20mins if you have a blimp or want to make any changes.   That aint too clever really. :(
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »

btw has anyone else noticed the Huawei runs a heck of a lot hotter than the ECI?
The ECI has been on all day and in heat.  The Huawei had only been on about 15mins not even connected to DSL and I noticed it was a lot hotter than the ECI.
What model is it Kitz?  Some 2Bs had a problem with insufficient heat sinking.  I can't say that I've expeienced any problems with the 3B

15 mins to get a gateway with the TG582n is a PITA add on top of that the sync up time, and youre talking 20mins if you have a blimp or want to make any changes.   That aint too clever really.
Well clearly something is wrong there, as it never takes even a fraction of that time for me.  Can you see anything in the TG582n event logs to suggest what the problem  might be?; but at first read this sounds more like a PN network issue than anything to do with the TG582n per se.  IME it takes 10-20secs for the modem to sync (look at the UA time in the modem stats) and the PPP connection connects within seconds of the VDSL PTM link becoming established.  The whole thing is generally up within 30secs.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »

[I appear to be syncing at the 79,999 kbps (as predicted by BE)
...  and thats with an SNRm of 12dB & Interleaved.....  and on the end of 25m of dodgy internal wiring.

Well that was an unexpected turn up for the books.    The BT estimate was 62 Mbps   :clap:
Congratulations.  From your stats it looks like you are very close to your FTTC cabinet (e.g. perhaps around 100m or so?), and possibly the first (or one of the first) in there.

Of course you have so much attainable that the 12dB SNRm makes very little difference to you as the 80Mb/s DS cap will have the dominant effect.  Whether or not you get interleaving is still one of DLM's little mysteries.  My own recent experience (following some helpful BTOR maintenance on the D-side cabling while my line was up) is that I now have a very large interleaving depth, and 8ms delay; but unless you were an extreme gamer (which I'm not) it makes no practical difference compared to when Interleaving was turned off (except the previous odd CRCs are now FECs instead).

But, it's looking good!  ;D 

BTW (after Day 1) the impact of multiple resyncs in a 24hr period have IME a much more significant DLM effect (lasting months sometimes) than just transmission errors.  So, if you do have to work on the line/modem, a) power it off and b) leave it for at least 30mins before you power it back on again.  DLM should then ignore that as it recognises that user-initiated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:59 AM »

>>> What model is it Kitz?

Its a 3B,  Ive stood it on its side for now and it seems a lot better than when it was flat.

>>>  Can you see anything in the TG582n event logs to suggest what the problem

I was looking earlier when I was waiting. There is nothing obvious, it just says 'waiting to authenticate'.  Every time I resync, or even just change any settings on the internet side, then it takes about 15mins before I can use the connection again.  Sync doesnt take that long.

>>> From your stats it looks like you are very close to your FTTC cabinet (e.g. perhaps around 100m or so?)

haha thats just it... Im not..  and one of the reasons why I was a bit shocked myself.   8)
I have the exact figures somewhere from the PCP to the DP for this estate...  and then irrc there was another 100m of UG to the shared Joint Box.  Add on my distance from the JB to my house..  and then 25m of telephone extension, its more like 450m.  I was told it was decent gauge copper though.

All previous estimates have been around 60/65Mb at most.

>> 80Mb/s DS cap will have the dominant effect.

Indeed.  I am kinda used to that anyhow - has always been the case right through 512kbps, maxdsl and even on adsl2+ with annex_m I snuck in there at 24Mbs for a while until the Be MSAN started playing silly beggars.   I really hope that it was Be's MSAN and its not followed me. 

---------
and whilst I was typing this I lost internet ..  It took at least 12 mins to come back up.   Lost internet..  not sync.

This is what it says in the router interface when it goes down
Link Status:   Connecting...

This is my Internet uptime from the TG582n
Uptime:   0 days, 0:02:53

and sync uptime from the HG612
DSL up time    13324  13324 seconds = 3.7 hrs

-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7