Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Leaving Be*  (Read 34617 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Leaving Be*
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

Just documenting this because Ive just spent 1.5 hrs on the phone to various people trying to find out what is going on.   Hopefully it will serve as a record for others as they also come off Be*

This is the email from Be* which started it

Looks like something's gone wrong! BT have told us that there is an ongoing cease order for your landline.
The cease date is 19/07/2013. Please check with your telephone provider what the reason is and contact us on 0808 101 3430. Please bear in mind that if our service gets disconnected, we may need to charge you a £25 re-connection fee as we'd need to send a BT engineer to your local telephone exchange.

Phoned up new ISP who advise me they haven't done anything with my landline yet and only placed an order for broadband migration.  Guy at Plusnet checked and double checked for me - understanding the implications of a cease.

Phone up Be* to advise them that perhaps this mail has been sent out by mistake, but Be* say theyve been notified that there is a cease of service on my landline.  I cant quite determine if 'cease of service on my landline' means cease of landline which the email implies... or if it could be a cease of broadband service on my landline.   Either way it should not be a cease, but should in fact be a migration.

Be then tell me that I havent advised them that Im leaving..   which I damn well did...  I went through all the sales spiel when they then passed me over to retentions and tried to offer me a deal with Sky.

Plusnet assure me they have used my MAC and it should be a straight forward migration, perhaps Be have sent out wrong email.

Finally call to BT - and being passed around various depts who confirm that they cant see any cease order on my line although they can see that a change of broadband providers is in progress.

So hopefully no cease, and its just very misleading info from Be  :fingers:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Leaving Be*
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »

So hopefully no cease, and its just very misleading info from Be  :fingers:

Hopefully so and once migrated, you can forget them.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

Exactly the same three-ring circus (complete with the same email) happened to me on my migration from BE to PN.  It was spurious, but obviously causes unnecessary anxiety to those EUs informed enough to understand the implications had it all been true.
Be were lss than helpful.  Completely useless in fact.  PN were quite helpful.  I gues now we know why it was time to leave Be.  It can only get worse.  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

>>> obviously causes unnecessary anxiety to those EUs informed enough to understand the implications had it all been true

Exactly!    I got in and saw the email and got straight on the phone to PN asked what the heck was going on

>>>  Be were lss than helpful.  Completely useless in fact.  PN were quite helpful.

Ditto!   
Very surprised Be support is generally first class and I cant fault them.  In this area though chocolate teapot comes to mind as they couldnt give me any solid information at all.

Yet the guy at PN understood the implications of cease and why I was concerned.  He checked couldnt see anything and then asked if I minded holding whilst he went through everything to double check.

BT passed me around a bit.  Got sick of having to say the same thing over and over & having to repeatedly verify who I was  (left this feedback for them ;) )   In the end I did get through to someone who could give me the information I needed...  and didnt instead try and sell me BT Infinity!

>>> Exactly the same three-ring circus (complete with the same email)

That makes me feel a bit better thank you -  The reason Im documenting this is because I had a feeling that others may also have to go through this too and wonder wth is going on.  The words " BT have told us that there is an ongoing cease order for your landline." doesnt normally forebode well.

>>> I gues now we know why it was time to leave Be.  It can only get worse.

So sad, they were such a damn good ISP in their time  :'(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

and another slightly misworded email

We're sorry to hear that you've changed your mind about your order for BE Broadband.

It would have been nice if they could have said something more appropriate like "Sorry to hear you are wanting to leave us".

The emails are obviously standard but they should at least fit the circumstances, this is about the first gripe Ive had about Be CS not being up to scratch, as normally they are spot on.    I guess they dont care if youre leaving. :(
-----

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »

That's normal. As soon as they see a request to move landline rental it will trigger that email. No idea why it triggers the email but it does - and it has since 2005 IME.

The other thing you should watch for is the spurious charges of £31.68 (if you were on Pro) which Be will automatically apply to your account when you leave - its an extra month's subs and it gets applied to everyone who leaves AFAIK. Again this is something they have always done (since 2005 anyway) and it has nothing to do with not giving proper notice. Of course you don't get hit with the charge until you have left so you can't raise a ticket, you have to phone up. They will pretend that they don't know what you're talking about but they damn well do as they've had thousands of calls for refunds. Its fraud IMHO.

Oh O2 don't do the same, its just Be.

Edit - I remember now, its the express cancellation charge which gets applied to everyone, regardless of whether you used it or not. Been a "bug" in their system since 2005. Damn handy moneymaking bug mmmm?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:17:54 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »

>>> As soon as they see a request to move landline rental

Thats the point..  Im with BT for my landline..  and not moving it (yet).   
Its only my adsl thats going across atm and nothing to do with my phone :(

>>> its the express cancellation charge which gets applied to everyone

Cheers for the reminder, Ive seen lots of people hit with this in the past...  so I'll have to watch my bank account :(
-----

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »

I presume you are going to use Plusnet when you migrate for line rental though? If so then that's what's triggering the "cease" email from Be. You have a compulsory 14 day cool-off period when you want to change line rental so presumably you placed your order with Plusnet on 5 July?

Moving line rental from BT to a BT subsidiary probably complicates stuff somewhat but that "cease" email is only generated when Be "see" a change in the line "provider" is going to happen.

I got one when I moved from Be->Sky last year but in 2006 I didn't when I moved from Be->UK Online. They still applied the "express cancellation" charge though ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »

>> Plusnet when you migrate for line rental though?

Yes I will be doing,  but that hasnt even been ordered yet.   -  Even BT arent aware of anything being on my line.   Plusnet assure me they havent placed landline order yet, this has been checked and double checked.  Someone also independently checked this for me and confirms that there is nothing marked on my landline other than change of broadband provider due 19th.   So its  BS from Be* :(

>> placed your order with Plusnet on 5 July?

Nope -  because Im an ex customer believe it or not its a bit of a farce and you cant upgrade via the normal path to fttc using your old account and it has to be done manually.  So it wasnt until Thurs 11th that they got my MAC started my broadband order.   The MAC from Be is dated the 5th though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:54:01 PM by kitz »
-----

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »

Odd that its 14 days exactly but meh, life's too short etc :)

I always found the "much vaunted" Be support to be distinctly average and Be's CRM system is worse than Sky's, so who knows....

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

The other thing you should watch for is the spurious charges of £31.68 (if you were on Pro) which Be will automatically apply to your account when you leave - its an extra month's subs and it gets applied to everyone who leaves AFAIK. Again this is something they have always done (since 2005 anyway) and it has nothing to do with not giving proper notice. ...
Its fraud IMHO.

Edit - I remember now, its the express cancellation charge which gets applied to everyone, regardless of whether you used it or not. Been a "bug" in their system since 2005. Damn handy moneymaking bug mmmm?
I think your memory is letting you down a bit here, Rizzla.  I looked very carefully into this when I migrated to PN myself.  What you call the  'extra month's subs' is for the period from when you give them the required 1 month's notice, and, it is clearly stated in it's T&C's.  Of course you can actually leave anytime you want during the month period you have to give them and pay for, so for some, scheduling the move towards the end of the period will maximise the value you get for that. Having said that I did find that I was actually rebated some of the amount I had already prepaid that overlapped with the notice period.  So, although I agree that their CS has gone down a rabbit hole somewhere (if, as you say, it ever was as great as some people thought), they didn't defraud me of a penny.  Maybe that aspect has changed since your recollections of 2006?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »

>>  Odd that its 14 days exactly

I think that is co-incidence and more to do with the fact that the 19th is the day Im scheduled for the engineer visit for fttc - which was chosen by me as it was the only day this week when Im able to be in all morning/afternoon.   

Im tending to believe that BTw have advised Be of the 19th being the date fttc is due to go live on my line and theyve been sloppy about which automated email notification that they send out to the customer. 
In my experience this is the first time that Be have been useless when I query something.  Normally they are spot on and even the first line support staff know what you are talking about when you ring up.  To me it just kind of reeks a bit of we dont care now that youre leaving attitude.
-----

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »

The other thing you should watch for is the spurious charges of £31.68 (if you were on Pro) which Be will automatically apply to your account when you leave - its an extra month's subs and it gets applied to everyone who leaves AFAIK. Again this is something they have always done (since 2005 anyway) and it has nothing to do with not giving proper notice. ...
Its fraud IMHO.

I think your memory is letting you down a bit here, Rizzla.  I looked very carefully into this when I migrated to PN myself.  What you call the  'extra month's subs' is for the period from when you give them the required 1 month's notice, and, it is clearly stated in it's T&C's

I'm afraid its not that Colin. Its the express cancellation charge and if it didn't get applied to you then you are the first person I've heard of that hasn't been hit with it.

I still have the email from 2006 where they apologised due to a "system error" - same "system error" in 2012, just slightly more expensive in 2012. Must have been an extremely lucrative bug.

To make this clear - I gave them the required notice and they got paid for that; the £31.68 was charged AFTER I left. They refunded it just as they did in 2006 as they were paid for the notice period.

YMMV of course but every single person I recommended Be to has had that charge incorrectly applied.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

To me it just kind of reeks a bit of we dont care now that youre leaving attitude.

That's what they've always been like kitz. Soon as you leave you lose all access to (historical) account data - they claim its deleted but of course its not.

Frankly I found the Bulgarian support vastly over-rated - fine until they had to deal with Openreach; bloody useless when they did.

YMMV of course.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »

Another wrongly worded email

Looks like something's gone wrong! BT have told us that your phone line has ceased.

Really sorry but we've had to suspend your BE service as we need an active BT line for our service to work; you'll need to get your BT line working soon (within 30 days) or we'll have to cancel your service.

I tried to log in, but I cant.  My account has already been deleted.

Unfortunately your account has already been cancelled and you can no longer access it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:25:49 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7