Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Speedtouch 585 v6  (Read 32707 times)

farmergiles

Re: Speedtouch 585 v6
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 10:24:52 PM »

I" have had installed a new drop wire, the engineer kindly even installed one of them NTE5 adsl faceplate, so no need for micro filters.
He also fitted a RF3 filter too".

I have also been trying different things since I started having problems on my line earlier in the year. I bought a 2wire  as they have a good reputation on long lines, not sure if they help with interference on the line of course. I also bought a couple of filters from a US company which I intended using to see if they would help as I have electric fences nearby. Haven't had a proper chance to try them yet.
I'm using the Speedtouch so I can use DMT but I intend to go back to the 2wire when
I can.

What does the RF3 filter do ?
Is it fitted  by BT  at the exchange or in the house ?
Can you buy one yourself and fit to your master socket in the house ?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:31:37 PM by farmergiles »

shape

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 10:37:10 PM »

Hi,
  The RF3 filter is meant to filter out REIN I believe, mostly caused by A.M radio stations.
Not a hundred percent, but think thats what I was told by engineer.
I can't understand how my line has a 9db noise all day long till around 3.30p.m, then drops all the way down till a resync at 6.00p.m.
Then it resyncs at 9db again then creeps all the way upto 19db at minute, bet its even higher in morning.
I don't think the noise is outside on my drop wire.
But then again i'm convinced its not in here.
Bizarre.

Electrical fences, that sounds nasty, but then you will not be the only one affected by that?

farmergiles

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:25 PM »

I read that some people put their radio on AM and set it around 600-620khz  but not on an actual station and then walk around the house listening for any interference. I did that and heard a click every second and was told  by another poster it might be electric fences,and that was before I mentioned I had electric fences nearby.They then asked if I had pigs nearby to which I replied "yes I do" and they said that  electric fences for pigs can cause problems.

At least with forums like this you can learn and try different things. You hope that something might work and it's certainly better than expecting BT to come to your aid, although to be fair I suppose some people do get reasonable help from them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:06:24 PM by farmergiles »

shape

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »

I'll dig out an old AM radio, and try that.
Yes your right I have learnt quite a bit having this problem.
I can't fault BT really.
They did a new drop wire and socket.
An E-side pair swop.
A lift and shift.
Supplied 2 hubs and a voyager 2091.

shape

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »

Hi,
   Please don't laugh but is AM the same as medium wave?
I tuned to 600khz to 620 khz on MW and get some foreign talking show.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »

AM isn't the same as medium wave, but medium wave transmissions are all AM (amplitude modulated). Medium wave and long wave are two bands of frequencies used for AM radio channels.

In fact the "xxxx wave" terminology is rather old fashioned, and we mainly talk about frequencies rather than wavelengths these days. The spectrum looks like this, in order of increasing frequency:

Very low frequency (VLF) - Used for various special purposes
Low frequency (LF, also known as long wave) - Used for AM radio
Medium frequency (MF, also known as medium wave) - Used for AM radio
High frequency (HF, also known as short wave) - Numerous purposes including ham radio
Very high frequency (VHF) - Used for FM radio, and also for taxi and police communications, etc.
Ultra high frequency (UHF) - Used for terrestrial television
Microwave frequency - Used for satellite communication (and of course, microwave ovens)

Eric

shape

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »

Thank you kindly for the reply, this is a game of learning more and more each day.
 ;D

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »

Hi all  ;)
           Just managed to firmware unlock my speedtouch 585 v6 from Tiscali which arrived today.  8)  only took me 2 hours, lol.

Hi,

How did you 'firmware unlock' it ... did you flash it with the newest firmware from the Thompson site ... if so how ?

I find the Speedtouch support site quite a bit behind Netgear in every respect ... I'm looking here : http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/codepages/content3.asp?c=7&ProductID=511 but the documentation links take you into space as far as I'm concerned, with references to 7.4, 7.2, ..... I can only see 6.2 as the latest firmware. ... and how to do it ... there's no guide that I can see.  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:55:24 PM by setecio »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »

With regards to using a radio to pick up interference I tried it earlier on and was suprised how a radio stored in my cupboard and seldom used could be used in such a way. I got a lot of noise in close proximity to DC power blocks and such like.

I also recalled that on a butt phone, in monitor mode you could faintly hear what sounded like radio - AM radio I am guessing which is picked up on the lines operating frequency?

I then unplugged the phone in monitor mode and took the plug around the DC adaptors and LCD screen and it clearly picked up noise as well, though very quiet as I guess it is not being amplified like in a radio, unless the phone offers voice amplification.

Apologies for going off topic, I was just a little excited to have tried something new!

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »

I was just a little excited to have tried something new!

Whatever floats your boat, soms. We're all delighted for you! ;)

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

I was just a little excited to have tried something new!

Whatever floats your boat, soms. We're all delighted for you! ;)

I don't get out quite as much as i'd like to really  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

:D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »

btw, in reply to farmergiles...
What does the RF3 filter do ?
Is it fitted  by BT  at the exchange or in the house ?
Can you buy one yourself and fit to your master socket in the house ?

An RF3 filter is a radio frequency filter designed to block certain frequencies (mainly EMI?) from continuing on the telephone line. Exactly what is filtered I am not sure.

It is simply an in-line internal BT connection block housing with a PCB with a set of screw terminals for the "incoming" line and a set of krone terminals for the cable run to the master socket.

As you might have guessed from above it is an inline filter fitted by BT to the line side of the master socket.

It is commonly installed where the drop wire is joined to internal cable (where there is such a joint) or if retro-fitted it is often installed above/below/beside the NTE5 with the drop wire re-routed into the RF3 block and then a short link put in to the master socket.

It is not an item you can buy yourself, except say for the odd item which ends up on eBay. You technically shouldn't tamper with anything line-side though.

The only RF filters sold by BT is a plug-in double outlet one which is not very attractive and useless for hardwired/master filtered ADSL installations.

For those who think such a unit would help it would be best to ask the engineer nicely if/when you have a fault. They don't take very long to put in and can only improve the line. The RF3 is fully compatible with ADSL, redcare etc.

If you see an RF2 filter for sale etc do NOT get it as RF2's will block ADSL frequencies.

DrTeeth

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »

[q]An RF3 filter is a radio frequency filter designed to block certain frequencies (mainly EMI?)[/q]

EMI is not a frequency or band of them. It stands for Electro Magnetic Interference. Any frequency can be interference in the right (wrong?) situation.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »

[q]An RF3 filter is a radio frequency filter designed to block certain frequencies (mainly EMI?)[/q]

EMI is not a frequency or band of them. It stands for Electro Magnetic Interference. Any frequency can be interference in the right (wrong?) situation.

Thanks for clarifying that a bit. I get a little confused because both seem to effect ADSL and i have never been taught properly about frequencies etc  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything