Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First on the cab!!  (Read 7135 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: First on the cab!!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »

>> to have had a fully-fledged BTOR engineer, as opposed to a Contractor,
>> Just the cross-connecting of wires in the original Cab ?? 

Thanks for the clarification, With the engineer mentioning "internet wires" and I therefore wondered if he may have showed MW the fttc cab as well as the old green pcp.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »

I took a photo, there is a cable I'm curious about. On the right-hand side going down, looks like a black coax. Does anybody know what that is please?

To me it looks like the pipe linking the pressurised E-side cable to a pressure gauge . . . which would be located out of shot to the upper right of your photograph. Let's see what Black Sheep has to say.  ;)

Bob-on as always B*Cat. It does appear to be the connection to our Cabinet mounted 'Pressure Transducers'.  :)

MuttyWango

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »

YAY! Thank you so much for new knowledge gained.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »

Gentlemen,

I agree it is far more likely to be a pressurised gas tube rather than a coaxial cable as it has a brass-looking compression joint on the bottom loop.

Very sadly BT only use screened cables rarely and I'm not aware of any coaxial cables used within the PSTN infrastructure.
OTOH Virgin Media ONLY use co-axial cables for their broadband only distribution.
So instead of the delightful "free-form" illustration in the photograph above a single feeder radiates along every route with multiple services connected via a joint pod in each small cabinet.
No crossed pairs or other challenges are possible with this design, although VM do use a separate twisted pair for any telephone services provided.

The only other small cable which should appear at some stage is a 5 pr "Telemetry" cable which I understand has one pair connected for a dial-up electricity metering function.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »

A great insight into VM's network by Walter, and just to add to it, the reason behind the vast differences is, VM's network has only been in place approx 20yrs, whereby they could take advantage of changes in technology and provide a fibre/co-ax hybrid network.

Also, the original owners (NYNEX), only cabled to densley populated areas, where they would see a quick return on their money. Something our very own Walter frowns upon when BT apply this same logic to VDSL roll-out.  ;) :P

BT's network on the other hand, has been in place since Noah built the Ark. They also provide a telephone service to wherever you may live in the UK.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything