Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First on the cab!!  (Read 7114 times)

bossian

First on the cab!!
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »

We'll a proper Openreach engineer 'Matt' has just left my house and after a faultless install, I'm now on 62/18....not bad for day 1 :)

And I was the first in the CAB: pair 801 8)

Goes away to push the limits..........

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: First on the cab!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »

Great news  :thumbs:

If possible (via an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem), I would suggest you grab your stats now.

Here's one way:-

http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html

& here's another:-

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/

It will be interesting to see if they deteriorate (probably via increased crosstalk) as more & more users are connected.

How do your speeds compare with the pre-installation estimates?

bossian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »

I have the ECI modem installed today, but I'm up for this stats hack thingy. Need to do more reading to understand what I have to do.

Is it ok to use HG612 on this line? I'll have to nose ebay for one ;)

The BT site said estimated 62/20, PlusNet said the same......and I'm getting 62/18  still after a dozen speedtests!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

The 62/20 estimate is the synch speed, not the throughput speeds (which you acquire doing a speedtest).
You will never, ever achieve 20Meg upstream on a speedtest. You will ony ever get between 80-97.6% (or 96.7% ??) of the synch speeds. Ergo, your upstream speedtest result of 18Meg fits just nicely. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:29:11 PM by Black Sheep »

bossian

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »

The 62/20 estimate is the synch speed, not the throughput speeds (which you acquire doing a speedtest).
You will never, ever achieve 20Meg upstream on a speedtest. You will ony ever get between 80-97.6% (or 96.7% ??) of the synch speeds. Ergo, your upstream speedtest result of 18Meg fits just nicely. :)
Ahhhhhhhh massive glang as the penny hits the floor........ ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »

Ahhhhhhhh massive glang as the penny hits the floor........ ;D
must have been an old £sd penny. :P

Puppy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »

You are a lucky boy. My time will come soon (hopefully in the next 4to5 weeks  ::)
Can you give us your feedback now you are living in the fast lane!
Praying for FTTC

MuttyWango

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »

Hullo! :)

I'm first on my cabinet too! I've got a fibre fatpipe all to myself! I left my beloved Be LLU because Murdoch scoffed it.

When the OR engineer called to say there would be an interruption in my service I hotfooted it to the cab to see what was inside that green box of mystery, he showed me the wires my interwebs go through.
I've got an ECI rev.B modem on an ECI cab about 250M from my house, stats 64/16 approx.

I'm keen to see the stats from the modem but the OR subbie said I shouldn't disconnect it for 10 days, I'm on day 3. I read a post from Bald_Eagle about the 10 day bedding-in period for VDSL being a fallacy, so would you say it'll be OK to flash my modem? I wanna make graphs baby!

Edit : it's on a BT Infinity 2 contract.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:45:03 AM by MuttyWango »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »

Hello MW. Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

You say that you have been provided with an ECI modem. To make use of either Bald_Eagle1's or Eric's software packages you will need to obtain a Huawei HG612 modem and unlock it (by updating it with Asbokid's revised firmware).

When you come to swap over the modem, first power down the router, then power down the modem before disconnecting the latter from the telephone line. When powering down the devices, physically unplug each PSU from the mains sockets.

With the unlocked HG612 in-situ, reconnect it to the telephone line and then power it up. Once it has synchronised with the DSLAM, connect it to the router and then power up the latter.

If you follow that procedure, the DLM should not make any change to your line's service parameters.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:02:45 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:36:21 AM »

The stabilisation process is not a 'fallacy' as such. The DLM (The bit that does the magic) captures the previous 24hrs data regarding error counts etc, and decides which bits to act upon. I've had a few circuits with high repeat reports, and historic data shows that it can take up to 10 days to stabilise the circuit, by way of dropping down through the 'bandings' a day at a time.

If there's no issue with your circuit, there should be no problem whatsoever in following BE's or Eric's graphing scripts. Welcome to super-fast broadband, and put a penny in the tin for our copper broadband cousins.  ;) ;D

MuttyWango

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »

Hello both!  Thank you for the warm welcome, kind advice and for the wealth of posts I've read of yours in the last 3 days.

I'll invest in an HG612 ASAP, I can't wait to gloat with graphs. :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »

Hi MuttyWango, welcome to the forums.

I also defected from Be nearly 2 weeks ago

>> I hotfooted it to the cab to see what was inside that green box of mystery

heh, so did I, but unfortunately it was a sub-contractor that did my install, who arent allowed access to the FTTC cabs and he just did a 2 minute rewire in the PCP.  He'd already locked up the cab by the time I got there.

>> I'm keen to see the stats from the modem but the OR subbie said I shouldn't disconnect it for 10 days.

I put my HG612 on the same day.  I was going to wait because I didnt have the smoothest of installations with 6 hours of downtime and I did several full resyncs and didnt want to push my luck with the DLM. :(

Anyhow I took B*cat, Colin, BS & BE's assurance that the DLM doesnt intervene until the next day... and at least that part was something that went right :)

My 10 days are up, but I can confirm that during this period Ive had a quite a few re-syncs, loss of syncs and even engineers just pulling the modem cables out, and touch wood Ive not been affected.  It also looks at the error rates too.  I have an intermittent line fault atm, but much of the time the line is stable and it produces little errors.

Follow B*cats advice,  I always recommend powering down by unplugging the mains.  This allows the modem to send a dying gasp signal down the phone line to the DSLAM so it knows its a power failure and not loss of sync through low SNR or errors.   I also if possible wait 1/2 an hour before reconnecting, which helps the DLM know its a deliberate power down.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

Hi MuttyWango, welcome to the forums.

I also defected from Be nearly 2 weeks ago

>> I hotfooted it to the cab to see what was inside that green box of mystery

heh, so did I, but unfortunately it was a sub-contractor that did my install, who arent allowed access to the FTTC cabs and he just did a 2 minute rewire in the PCP.  He'd already locked up the cab by the time I got there.

>> I'm keen to see the stats from the modem but the OR subbie said I shouldn't disconnect it for 10 days.

I put my HG612 on the same day.  I was going to wait because I didnt have the smoothest of installations with 6 hours of downtime and I did several full resyncs and didnt want to push my luck with the DLM. :(

Anyhow I took B*cat, Colin, BS & BE's assurance that the DLM doesnt intervene until the next day... and at least that part was something that went right :)

My 10 days are up, but I can confirm that during this period Ive had a quite a few re-syncs, loss of syncs and even engineers just pulling the modem cables out, and touch wood Ive not been affected.  It also looks at the error rates too.  I have an intermittent line fault atm, but much of the time the line is stable and it produces little errors.

Follow B*cats advice,  I always recommend powering down by unplugging the mains.  This allows the modem to send a dying gasp signal down the phone line to the DSLAM so it knows its a power failure and not loss of sync through low SNR or errors.   I also if possible wait 1/2 an hour before reconnecting, which helps the DLM know its a deliberate power down.

Kitz, just for clarification, only BT Power Engineers and BT PCR (Private Circuit repair) engineers are allowed to enter the Fibre Cab. If you had been fortunate enough to have had a fully-fledged BTOR engineer, as opposed to a Contractor, you would have only seen the same work going on at the original Cab. I think that's what MuttyWango would also have observed ?? Just the cross-connecting of wires in the original Cab ??  :)

MuttyWango

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »

That's right Black Sheep, just to clarify it was work in the PCP. I wanted to see the cable ducts and the board it connects to.  The engineer explained to me that my copper wire pair were to be connected to the OR cabinet 50M away
I took a photo, there is a cable I'm curious about. On the right-hand side going down, looks like a black coax. Does anybody know what that is please?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:55:50 AM by MuttyWango »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »

I took a photo, there is a cable I'm curious about. On the right-hand side going down, looks like a black coax. Does anybody know what that is please?

To me it looks like the pipe linking the pressurised E-side cable to a pressure gauge . . . which would be located out of shot to the upper right of your photograph. Let's see what Black Sheep has to say.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything