Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Upstream TX" sync?  (Read 2468 times)

Basil

"Upstream TX" sync?
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

In RouterStats what does it infer if you see sudden changes in sync speed on the "Upstream TX" graph? I have not seen this before today. I am still chasing seemingly random line noise. Is there any way this could be a PC network card problem? (Actually my network "card" is built into the Asus motherboard. I am now recalling I used to have a period where using Windows Remote Desktop I was unable to connect occasionally. This was over a hard wired LAN within my house. I blamed the router, but maybe I have a PC problem? Can anyone comment please? Here's a bit of the graph from earlier. Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: "Upstream TX" sync?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »

I cant see anything abnormal from the graph, but upstream sync can be adaptive and change each time you sync.   
It is more unusual to see changes in upstream sync due to the tones being at the lower end of the adsl spectrum, but longer lines do sometimes see variance.

There are a few upstream profiles that we normally expect to see.   Im guessing from the graph that you are currently syncing at 448 kbps - which is one of them.  What was it previously?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Basil

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »

Here's a link to a proper graph, I pressed capture just as it was retracing to the current time, sorry. I never noticed when I posted it :(

http://www.gatesgarth.com/graph.jpg

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

That looks as though the ADSL connection dropped and reconnected several times. But it could be a network problem, as you suggest.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »

Since the other values are 0, then ....

You had a period with several loss of syncs through noise bursts Or...

RouterStats was unable to obtain any figures from your router, this could be a network issue.. Or it just sometimes happens that figures aren't graphed for some reason.

Did the downstream have corresponding dips at the same time.  I would expect it to have.  If it didn't then I'd more likely suspect a reporting issue with routerstats.

Are you graphing errors?  If the error rate went up at about the same time then its most likely several loss of syncs.

-----
Sorry I know Eric had already answered, but I just wanted to expand a bit more....
If you are using routerstats you can sometimes record CRC errors as user defined.

Alternatively you may have a router which is compatible to Eric's excellent DSLstats which offers more graphing options.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:35:27 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Basil

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »

roseway / kitz. Thanks for coming back. Yes, there are "matching" glitches in time on the downstream graph. I sometimes run RouterStats Lite, sometimes the full version. I find the full version sometimes starts to use more and more CPU time and knots the PC up if left on for 48 hours or more. But my PC is elderly. I have run the full version nearly all day and this evening, and I think it was running all last night.

I am running Telnet and the terminal window seems to show errors. Where, and indeed, if it logs them, I am not sure.... I can link to a file on my server if I know what to look for. Thanks, enjoy the weather!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »

Sorry I can't recall now which router you are using.

If its listed on this page, why not give dslstats a go.   It comes highly recommended  ;D

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/routers.html
-----

anything