Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New summer schedule for REIN  (Read 1865 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
New summer schedule for REIN
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »

Well, looks like my occasional but curiously scheduled REIN problem is back.   >:(

I've been busy, so hadn't noticed it's effects at the time, or had chance to put the radio on and try to track it down.

I've had RouterStats Lite running for just over a week on my Huawei HG-533 (by setting it to Huawei Generic Telnet, which partially works - (correctly logs downstream SNM and speed, but plots bogus data for other items).

The SNM bobs along quite nicely between 8 and 9db, usually nearer 9.  When the REIN attack comes along, it drops to a curiously unwavering 6db.

Previously, it would usually happen on Sunday evening for an hour or two, and occasionally on Wednesday evening for a similar time.  This time around, it's Saturday and Thursday evening.

I can't think of any activity in this house that would have caused this.

Annoying!  :(

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New summer schedule for REIN
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »

Peculiar. Very peculiar.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »

Its a complete flatliner at 6dB too.!

I sympathise, wish I could get to the bottom of whats happening on my line too, cause whatever it is came back last week :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »

Its a complete flatliner at 6dB too.!

There is a very slight ripple at the end of the 2nd instance, but yes, otherwise it's very flat!

Curiously, with my old modem (TalkTalk DSL-2780) and my old profile (6db), outside of REIN issues, I would get a very flat 6db with no ripples.

Is there something 'magic' about 6db?

I was unable to monitor continually on the old DSL-2780 as the web interface would eventually stop responding after routerstats had been running for a few hours, and I'd have to reboot the modem.

Routerstats occasionally starts reporting zeroes for everything from the HG-533, but pausing for 2 minutes then restarting routerstats clears that problem.

I sympathise, wish I could get to the bottom of whats happening on my line too, cause whatever it is came back last week :(

The intermittent outside-of-your-domain problems are the worst!  Can't remember if you said - have you listened on an AM radio for interference?  Traced it up and down the road?

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »

>> Is there something 'magic' about 6db?

lol Not that Im aware of - other than it being one of the DLM default profiles.   Curiously my line used to completely flatline for months on end at 3dB which is one of the Be DLM profiles.

>>  you listened on an AM radio for interference

No only cause I dont have a portable AM radio :(  Anyhow I'll take my latest happenings over to the other thread so as not to detract from your issues.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

So it seems Saturday is the new Sunday.[1]

at around 10pm I noticed the graph drop from it's usual 9db to 6db once more, so went out with my radio.

The neighbour that I thought might be generating the noise is away, and the house is in darkness. 

I could hear a deep buzzing on my AM radio as I walked along the pavement, quieter actually on the pavement, but much louder as I approached each house (including my own).

Curiously, I could still hear it faintly some distance up the road, and found that I could hear the deep buzz very loudly if I put my radio near the GPO telephones manhole further up the road.

By the time I got back near my house, I heard the buzz fade out, and when I looked at the stats, I see the SNM was back at it's usual 9db mark.

Once more it lasted about an hour.

Ian

[1] This used to happen pretty much every Sunday evening, and occasional Wednesday evenings.

anything